Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bigblue58 View Post

You read it? And he was right? Lol
    Gettleman being right isn't exactly what I took away from that article.

I read the article, it was long on opinion and short on facts.

Gettleman was clearly right about the two players in question that the owner wanted to overpay. But he's the owner so he can overpay whomever he wants.

What did you take away from that article?

Comment

• Originally posted by keyofgmen View Post

Just curious YA. Coming from a guy whose family had close ties to Giants upper level years ago. Like when Alex Webster was HC! Now some connection, but less so.
      Question is... Does John Mara, who you have known for years, and others, know you post here and can be honestly critical, and still be allowed in the building? HAHA...
      John knows I am a member here... he has granted me permission on an occasion or two to mention certain things over the years

everything I post here I state to him in person... there are no egg shells on the floor of any room John and I are ever in

that being said ... we have not spoken in person about anything football related since probably August and probably wonít until post season

Comment

• Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post

True but I think the retirement of Tillman and the injuries to the offensive line were bigger issues than Norman. Norman is a good player player and a very great player in the right system surrounded by other quality players, but he's hardly a player you build a defense around nor that much of a difference maker by himself. Even had they decided to overpay Norman to keep him, the Panthers offense with no offensive line was taking them nowhere.
        Tillman? haha. His impact on that defence didnít come close to what Norman allowed their DC to do.

go back and watch Normanís tape in 2015. He followed and shut down just about every single #1 WR he faced, including Julio Jones, twice. That is absolutely invaluable.

He wasnít that great last year but in Carolina and in heir respective scheme he was amazing. Not a lot of CBS can play man and zone and play them well. He in one of the few.

Carolinas defence absolutely hasnít been the same. Not close.

Did Gettlemen make the right call? I donít think so. I do recall Julio putting up 300 yards on them shortly after and that defence wonít be carrying them to a SB anytime soon. Big change was Normanís ability to shut down #1 WRs routinely without the DC having to cloud or use bracket coverage. That is very, very valuable in any defence

Comment

• Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post

I was really impressed by his presser

I need those words to become reality
          the Homer ism is strong with this one YA . but i agree what else can we do.

Comment

John knows I am a member here... he has granted me permission on an occasion or two to mention certain things over the years

everything I post here I state to him in person... there are no egg shells on the floor of any room John and I are ever in

that being said ... we have not spoken in person about anything football related since probably August and probably wonít until post season
            Thanks... Walking on egg shells helps no one...
            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post

I read the article, it was long on opinion and short on facts.

Gettleman was clearly right about the two players in question that the owner wanted to overpay. But he's the owner so he can overpay whomever he wants.

What did you take away from that article?
              I got what you got out of the article.

Gettleman will improve our roster and rankle a few hangars on and underperformers in the process.

I'll take it. It is all about the talent.
              It is not about labels.
              No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

• Not sure why everyone is taking shots at YA. He doesn't like the hire but felt a bit optimistic after the PC. What's the big deal here?

You old farts need to get together and play some BINGO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

That defense is tremendous. You know what defense sucks?.....the one Norman plays on now?

Norman is a crappy cover guy. He's a great ball hawk but he can't cover me.
                  It's a very good defense. I wouldnt say its tremendous at all. And it was better with Norman in that scheme. He was a perfect fit for what they wanted to do. He is not a guy who is a good fit everywhere though.

Comment

• Originally posted by tdawg1413 View Post

I just said 3 of the first 4 picks that draft. And Bradberry is a good CB. He is not near what Norman was in that defense, and the defense has not been the same without Norman albeit still good.
                    They give up 1 more point a game now, about 8 yards less a game, have 5 more sacks, same third down percentage, give up 1 less first down per game. It's essentially the same defense. I fail to see how "they haven't been the same."

Comment

• Originally posted by jomo View Post

I got what you got out of the article.

Gettleman will improve our roster and rankle a few hangars on and underperformers in the process.

I'll take it. It is all about the talent.
                      It is not about labels.
                      It becomes an issue when the underperformers are beloved players.

But we all know what happens when you allow your good players to stay too long.

Comment

• Letís hope he finds defensive guys that will be able to contain and stop Wentz for the next 8-10 yrs..That guy scares me to death..

Comment

• Originally posted by CGYgiant View Post

Tillman? haha. His impact on that defence didnít come close to what Norman allowed their DC to do.

go back and watch Normanís tape in 2015. He followed and shut down just about every single #1 WR he faced, including Julio Jones, twice. That is absolutely invaluable.

He wasnít that great last year but in Carolina and in heir respective scheme he was amazing. Not a lot of CBS can play man and zone and play them well. He in one of the few.

Carolinas defence absolutely hasnít been the same. Not close.

Did Gettlemen make the right call? I donít think so. I do recall Julio putting up 300 yards on them shortly after and that defence wonít be carrying them to a SB anytime soon. Big change was Normanís ability to shut down #1 WRs routinely without the DC having to cloud or use bracket coverage. That is very, very valuable in any defence
                          I agree with you that it's a very valuable asset to have. I do not agree that Norman is that asset. Nor that he was or is worth anywhere near what he got paid and that's the GM's call to make, I think he made the right one. Particularly considering that Carolina's defense is once again one of the top defenses in the league, their offensive line is significantly improved and not coincidentally both Newton and the Panthers are on the rebound and heading to the playoffs.

And while Norman did excel in 2015 they played mostly a cover 2 trap zone, not man to man. I don't agree that Norman shut down anyone without cloud or bracket coverage, I think he's a good defensive back who can play very well in the right scheme and the Panthers provided the surrounding talent (of which Tillman was a part) and the scheme necessary for him to be successful.

They're successful this year and he isn't there. Is it realistic that everything that went wrong for that team last year is all due to one player being let go? In my opinion it is not.

Comment

• Originally posted by gmoney11 View Post
                            Letís hope he finds defensive guys that will be able to contain and stop Wentz for the next 8-10 yrs..That guy scares me to death..
                            The Eagles look good, which I guess is why they keep winning with him out. I'm not lying awake worrying about Wentz beating the Giants by himself.

Comment

not wanting him as the GM is not personal

not liking him as a person is obviously personal

two completely separate issues

my issue is actually more with John Mara than Dave Gettleman

this team needed "wholesale change" ... John verbally recognized it on multiple occasions ... then hired an inside guy who will more than likely keep guys like Marc Ross employed by the NY Giants

he also didn't even wait to interview guys who would become eligible when their respective seasons ended ... he just went through the motions of a false interview process and hired the guy he wanted before Jerrys coffee got cold

I simply cannot believe that Marc Ross will be retained in the same role, but the very fact that John Mara even interviewed him for the job is disconcerting to say the least.

I have to believe that John is going to give Dave control over this football team to run it as he sees fit.

I hope I'm right.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roosevelt View Post

I simply cannot believe that Marc Ross will be retained in the same role, but the very fact that John Mara even interviewed him for the job is disconcerting to say the least.

I have to believe that John is going to give Dave control over this football team to run it as he sees fit.

I hope I'm right.
                                Ross was interviewed to satisfy the Rooney rule.

Comment

Working...
                                X