So much to consider

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So much to consider

I have been a fan for 60+ years and l like everyone else cannot remember so much insanity in one week. Players not playing and trying to talk others out of not playing, are you kidding me. What job do some of these guys think they can get that will pay them $500k+ in the real world. All of this on top of Janoris Jenkins, Cromartie, Apple etc. The only recent memory of something close is Plaxico shooting himself in the leg, which probably cost us a shot at a deep playoff run. But that pales in comparison. Cleaning house is Dave's first job and he looks like he is off and running.

But what concerns me the most is where we go at quarterback. I realize in his first press conference he has to say he wants Eli back because they have a game still to play and Spags has already said he is going to start. I sure hope that since Ernie Accorsi drafted Eli and then lethe search to hire Gettleman that we are not stuck on Eli for two more years until his contract runs out. The adage I remember is when you hire a new GM and a new coach they want to go with their own QB. I don't see how you hire a new coach with a say 3 year contract and stick him with Eli for the first two. The poor play of the Giants does not solely rest with Eli but he is like 50-60 record wise over the last 7 years. What give anyone the inclination that at 37 he will be better, particularly if we bring in a bunch of new guys with a new coach.

I think back to what the Redskins did with RG3. They traded 3 number 1s and a two to move from 6 to two. Then they drafted Cousins and three years later Cousins ends up being the starter. When you have a chance to get a franchise quarterback, and the number two or maybe three pick you have to do it. So whoever the Giants decide the second best quarterback is (assuming someone in Cleveland wakes up after going 1-31 and realizes all the draft picks without a good qb is a waste). So that being said I draft a QB and PREHAPS keep Eli for one year. I let Webb and whoever battle for the starting job in year two or if the Giants are out of it next year late in the season. And perhaps trade the loser of the battle like the Pats did with Garropolo and get back a third round pick or so.

It is just so rare to have your pick of QBs, and when you do you have to go for it.

+1, well written, fan of 45+ yrs here. Take the best QB, & be mentored by Eli would be the best case scenario. Nobody will or should step right in...Time to pay for that "pearl of great price..", as we did taking Eli

Comment

Originally posted by coachf14 View Post
      I have been a fan for 60+ years and l like everyone else cannot remember so much insanity in one week. Players not playing and trying to talk others out of not playing, are you kidding me. What job do some of these guys think they can get that will pay them $500k+ in the real world. All of this on top of Janoris Jenkins, Cromartie, Apple etc. The only recent memory of something close is Plaxico shooting himself in the leg, which probably cost us a shot at a deep playoff run. But that pales in comparison. Cleaning house is Dave's first job and he looks like he is off and running.

But what concerns me the most is where we go at quarterback. I realize in his first press conference he has to say he wants Eli back because they have a game still to play and Spags has already said he is going to start. I sure hope that since Ernie Accorsi drafted Eli and then lethe search to hire Gettleman that we are not stuck on Eli for two more years until his contract runs out. The adage I remember is when you hire a new GM and a new coach they want to go with their own QB. I don't see how you hire a new coach with a say 3 year contract and stick him with Eli for the first two. The poor play of the Giants does not solely rest with Eli but he is like 50-60 record wise over the last 7 years. What give anyone the inclination that at 37 he will be better, particularly if we bring in a bunch of new guys with a new coach.

I think back to what the Redskins did with RG3. They traded 3 number 1s and a two to move from 6 to two. Then they drafted Cousins and three years later Cousins ends up being the starter. When you have a chance to get a franchise quarterback, and the number two or maybe three pick you have to do it. So whoever the Giants decide the second best quarterback is (assuming someone in Cleveland wakes up after going 1-31 and realizes all the draft picks without a good qb is a waste). So that being said I draft a QB and PREHAPS keep Eli for one year. I let Webb and whoever battle for the starting job in year two or if the Giants are out of it next year late in the season. And perhaps trade the loser of the battle like the Pats did with Garropolo and get back a third round pick or so.

It is just so rare to have your pick of QBs, and when you do you have to go for it.
      Nice post!

Comment

What does the DG hiring and Accorsi being involved, have to do with Eli. Just because Ernie drafted/traded for Eli 15 years ago? Nonsense. They are going to have the 2nd pick. This doesn't happen often. They are going to draft a QB, 100%.

Comment

Working...
        X