Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eli Manning '100 percent' wants to return but Giants still must draft a QB at No. 2 | Politi

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eli Manning '100 percent' wants to return but Giants still must draft a QB at No. 2 | Politi

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...rt_river_index

Excerpt: "Eli Manning trotted out of MetLife Stadium like a man who wasn't sure when -- or even if -- he would be back.

He shared a long embrace with his head coach, then split a group of a dozen photographers to reach the tunnel that leads to the Giantslocker room. He waved to the few hundred hardy fans who braced temperatures in the teens for this moment, and a game ball from the meaningless 18-10 victory over the Redskins was tucked under his left arm.

So is this really the end? Manning again made it clear that he hopes it's not, that not even a 3-13 season could shake his conviction that he wants to return for a 15th season with the only franchise he has known.

"Yeah. 100 percent," Manning said when asked if he still wants to return. "I don't want to go play football anywhere else. This is where I want to play. This like my family, the New York Giants. Hopefully, they feel the same way and we can make that workout."

Now we'll wait and see how new general manager Dave Gettlemanhandles what is easily his most difficult and important decision as the process of rebuilding this team begins.

He has a soon-to-be 37-year-old starting quarterback who hasn't led this team to more than 30 points in two full seasons, but one whose popularity with fans only soared after the team clumsily benched him this fall to end his 210-game ironman streak." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

I think it is foolish to suggest we have to take a QB. The mos important thing about this pick above everything else is that we get a really good player. QB, OL, RB, CB, LB I don't really care as long as he is a difference maker. If we whiff on this pick it will really set us back. No pressure Gettleman.
    LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
    "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post
      I think it is foolish to suggest we have to take a QB. The mos important thing about this pick above everything else is that we get a really good player. QB, OL, RB, CB, LB I don't really care as long as he is a difference maker. If we whiff on this pick it will really set us back. No pressure Gettleman.
      I agree. There hasn't been a combine and the QBs haven't even been evaluated in depth yet. The Browns will likely select the best QB, I wouldn't want to reach at pick 2 - plan B. Brady went in the 6th, Montana went in the 3rd.
      I may not believe in a higher power but I believe in Elisha Nelson Manning.

Comment

Trade down, get ol and still can get a qb, never will forget what John Madden said, first and foremost you build offensive line first.

Comment

The #2 pick overall in the draft should be an impact player. Somebody who can make huge plays and turn the course of a game for his team. There are limited number of players who can do that. Typically a QB, Super star running back, elite WR or gifted edge rusher are where you look. If there's some confidence in Webb, in case Eli falls flat, then the likely place to look is a RB or edge rusher. Gettleman sits in the driver's seat because he can get what he wants lower in the first round and might be able to pick up a really important pick or two by trading down.

The #2 pick in the second round is a great place to pick up the OL they need. And the #2 pick in the third round should still produce an exceptional player. BPA all the way.

I'm not at all convinced it's going to be a QB in the first. If Eli/Webb doesn't work out in 2018, they can always pick a QB next year. I'm thinking Gettleman is going to go for an big improvement in talent across the board, and wait on the QB slot.

Comment

Very well said.

QBs are just too variable. Even Flowers, as bad as he's been, most want to see him moved to RT to find out if he's salvageable.

QBs seem to fall into two categories: those you want, and those you don't. Not a ton of middle ground.
            sigpic

Comment

I agree with all the logic here, but I think unless they really don't like any of these top QBs, they lean QB with the first overall pick. QB is just too important a position to pass up on an opportunity to get one in the top five. I remember two years ago when the two top QBs in the draft were Wentz and Goff; nobody felt either was going to be anything great. Look at their teams now. In their second seasons, both were huge game changers for their teams. Deshaun Watson is another example. Yes, he got hurt, but he was killing it before he did, and once he got hurt the Texans collapsed.

How many guys taken in the third round can you name who have had this type of impact on their teams? The list is small. QB is a position that is well handicapped, and most of the good ones over the past few decades have been first round picks, many in the top 5.

I get the arguments for passing on a QB and taking a different position or trading down. I'm not saying that's the wrong move. There is a lot of merit to that view. It makes all the sense in the world to me if we think none of these QBs are worthy of the 2nd overall pick.

But I would say three things:

(1) We don't know anything about Davis Webb's ability to be a quality NFL starter, and history strongly suggests the odds of him being a very good starter are low. Those odds are further compounded lower by Reese's third round picking abilities. If Webb ends up being a good NFL starter, he will be bucking all kinds of trends and incredibly long odds. To just assume he's the QB of the future based on no real evidence of that is incredibly haphazard.

(2) We very likely won't be 3-13 again next year. Our record will be better. I'm not saying it will be dramatically better, but I think it's reasonably safe to assume we won't be picking in the top five.

(3) We better feel good about Eli's ability to lead this team for the next season or two as the starter. That should not be a decision that he makes, and it should not be a decision made based on emotion or loyalty. The loyalty should be to the team, not to one player.

So we may not get an opportunity like this again for a very long time. If we use this pick on another position or trade down, we better feel really confident that the top QBs, which other teams are going to be all over as soon as we pass, are truly not worth it. If we take Barkley, we will no doubt get a great player, but RBs have a shelf life of 5-7 seasons of playing at a top level. They start to decline before they turn 30. QBs are in the teeth of their primes at age 30. That's something for the Barkley proponents to bear in mind.

I would rather take a top QB with the 2nd pick (Rosen), and then focus on BPA with an emphasis on O line, after that. Just my two cents.

Comment

I think the fact that Eli has already achieved just about every goal a professional could set for himself, retiring is not going to be difficult. If it were me, I probably would want to test the water...see if there is anyone out there willing to make a deal to let him be the starting QB of a franchise that is just a QB away from being a complete team.

It is not me, though, and Eli says he wants to retire a NYG. If he is determined to have his career end in NY, then he has to take whatever comes with that. If the Giants feel this year is the time to draft the next franchise QB, then he must be ready to accept whatever comes with that. If they go out and bolster the line and protection improves and he still keeps throwing into double or triple coverage that turn into picks, he has to be ready to take a back seat and let the new guy begin his task of becoming the new NYG QB, similar to what KC went through when they traded for Eli. He, Collins, didn't even want to wait and see thus demanding a trade and causing the acquisition of KW.

There is no guarantee that the next guy will make it because when it comes to the transition from college to pro, you just never know. Ask JR. IMO, it appears that Eli has already made that decision and is willing to let the chips fall wherever they may, however, if they do draft a QB with the 2nd pick, you may just see Eli do a 180 and ask for a trade or outright release. It is going to be an interesting offseason and should provide some serious debates for this MB.
                Last edited by GCGiant; 01-01-2018, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dreamer3kx View Post
                  Trade down, get ol and still can get a qb, never will forget what John Madden said, first and foremost you build offensive line first.
                  we haven't drafted # 2 in the first round in 30 some odd years and including this year in the teams history have only drafted # 2 twice if we trade this draft pick I will be very angry and we better get a QB

Comment

There's a lot to consider here. Still dont even know who's going to declare or even where they'll rank after the senior bowl, combine etc. Not to mention what gets done in house with manning, Webb and a new coaching staff. I say trade down unless there's a player they absolutely have to have. This would allow them to stockpile picks for several drafts and give them tons of flexibility to move up or down in future drafts. If this QB class shapes out the way the experts think it will, they should have no problem getting a trade done.

Comment

Gettleman and the FO will be taking a gamble no matter what decision is made. They have to determine what gamble would be the best risk/reward ratio.
                      Personally I really dont think Eli has what it takes anymore. He can still be good at times but he has lost his mojo so to speak.
                      But what do I know......
                      "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                      You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

If the Giants deem one of the QBs to be a franchise guy, they should pick him without hesitation. if they are at all unsure, I think trading down would be the best move if the right package presents itself, which is never a given.

Comment

You read like the Brown GM the last two years skipping Goff, Weitzman, and Watson. NFL teams usually don’t get No. 2 draft picks too often, and when you do, you MUST take a franchise type QB if he is on the board unless you already have a younger, like the Colts. There is no doubt the Giants will take a QB as the candidates available have the possibility of being franchise quality. If the Giants really believe that no franchise quality QB exists on the board or they acquire some possible franchise QB in free agency, they will trade down.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brown View Post

(1) We don't know anything about Davis Webb's ability to be a quality NFL starter, and history strongly suggests the odds of him being a very good starter are low. Those odds are further compounded lower by Reese's third round picking abilities. If Webb ends up being a good NFL starter, he will be bucking all kinds of trends and incredibly long odds. To just assume he's the QB of the future based on no real evidence of that is incredibly haphazard.
                            We know less about the ANY of the prospects.

Comment

Eli really isn't sure himself. He says he "100 percent" wants to return, but then states as a caveat that he wants to return as *THE* quarterback of the New York Giants.
                              The interesting thing is, we won't know who the Giants pick at #2 (or trade back) until late April, but his rooster bonus is due by March 17th.

I guess this is where the talk between DG and Eli comes into play.
                              All I know is that Eli needs to free up cap space. He takes up way too much. Love the player/person, but can't take up as much cap space as he does. I don't think any player should though, except Rodgers, but I question that now with him getting hurt.
                              Football is a team game. Football is a team game. Football is a team game. Football is a team game. Football is a team game.

Comment

Working...
                              X