Is Davis Webb the future?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hadenough View Post
    Who was the 'evaluator'? I mean sashi brown said Wentz would stink. Based on how poor teams draft...are these 'evaluators' actually any good?
    Exactly. Have to read prospect evaluations with grain of salt. Ryan Leaf was supposed to be great. Brady slipped to 6th round. There insights are somewhat significant, but it's impossible to know. Very often the success or failure of a player has more to do with the situation he enters than on his talent level.
    I'm not saying Webb will be great. We don't know yet.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmie ray View Post

Something about a beaver hunt.
      LOL now that's Funny

Comment

The hits from Jerry Reese's reign of horrible picks just keep coming. WTF?!

Comment

Originally posted by boxcar willie View Post

Exactly. Have to read prospect evaluations with grain of salt. Ryan Leaf was supposed to be great. Brady slipped to 6th round. There insights are somewhat significant, but it's impossible to know. Very often the success or failure of a player has more to do with the situation he enters than on his talent level.
          I'm not saying Webb will be great. We don't know yet.
          Ryan Leaf was probably the most spectacular bust in NFL history, largely because he was such an absolute jerk that his teammates didn't want to even be around him. Impugning NFL evaluators for not seeing that coming is like impugning Hollywood talent scouts in the 1980s for saying that Charlie Sheen was going to become a really good comedic actor.

Let's use the 2003 draft as an example. "Evaluators" were very high on the following three quarterbacks:

1. Eli Manning - #1 overall pick. Two-time Super Bowl champion. 51,682 career passing yards. 339 career TDs.
          2. Philip Rivers - #4 overall pick. Seven-time Pro Bowler. 50,348 career passing yards. 342 career TDs.
          3. Ben Roethlisberger - #11 overall pick. Two-time Super Bowl champion. 51,065 career passing yards. 329 career TDs.

"Evaluators" were not so high on the following three quarterbacks:

1. Craig Krenzel - #148 pick (5th round) - 718 career passing yards. 3 career TDs.
          2. Andy Hall - #185 pick (6th round) - 0 career passing yards. 0 career TDs.
          3. Jim Sorgi - #193 pick (6th round) - Giants practice squad member in 2010. 929 career passing yards. 6 career TDs.

Sure seems like they got it right that year!

People can focus all they want on the times when someone either won at Blackjack with a 12 or lost at it with a 20...it doesn't change the fact that nine times out of ten you're going to lose with a 12 and win with a 20.

Comment

Originally posted by desert_ash View Post

And now has the stink of losing a big game on him...double pass.
            Yeah because a QB who put up 48 against an excellent Georgia D, nah, he lost a big game....you know nothing John Snow.

Comment

This came from Webb's exit interview (on Giants.com frontpage), and is pretty damning to the coaching staff this year:

ďIím going to be honest with you, I feel so good, I really do,Ē Webb said. ďI really grew and took some steps as a quarterback this year. I got some reps the past couple of weeks and I did better than I expected. Letís be honest, I havenít gotten a rep in team practice since really OTAís (in the spring). Training camp, I was in opportunity periods, we had four quarterbacks. The plan for us was to have a great season and me develop and it just didnít go that way and it was disappointing, it sucks. But at the same time, I didnít get many reps, so I was pretty excited to do as good as I did the past couple of weeks in team settings and kind of get me fired up going into the offseason.Ē

What a crime to not give a rookie any team reps. Macadon't should have been fired for this alone. At least the kid has a chance to improve now, once we hire a new coaching staff. It can't get any worse than BM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronxpinstripes View Post

That's what I don't get...people all about trading the #2 for other picks.

How about drafting a franchise QB and then...if Davis Webb beats out the #2 pick, then you can always trade him for those picks. But let's make sure we have a franchise quarterback FIRST!
                Makes sense to some. Because the only way to get a franchise QB is if you pick #2 or #1. Right? .

Thereís just no other way

Comment

This article provides ZERO insightful information, and not to mention, is backed by ZERO stats. Just opinions of guys who haven't seen Webb start in over a year.
                  sigpic

Comment

.......a truly dumb article. The writer refers to "talent evaluators." What the hell is that? If they were NFL scouts, the writer would have said that wouldn't he?
                    That means he is speaking with bloggers, or worse.

Further, since he hasn't seen anything of Webb who has been with an NFL team for an entire year, his "evaluators" are commenting on what they remember of him in college.

I am not saying that Webb is a strong or weak candidate to be our QB some day.

I am simply saying that this writer gives us absolutely nothing real in this article.
                    No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

Originally posted by fletch842 View Post
                      This came from Webb's exit interview (on Giants.com frontpage), and is pretty damning to the coaching staff this year:

ďIím going to be honest with you, I feel so good, I really do,Ē Webb said. ďI really grew and took some steps as a quarterback this year. I got some reps the past couple of weeks and I did better than I expected. Letís be honest, I havenít gotten a rep in team practice since really OTAís (in the spring). Training camp, I was in opportunity periods, we had four quarterbacks. The plan for us was to have a great season and me develop and it just didnít go that way and it was disappointing, it sucks. But at the same time, I didnít get many reps, so I was pretty excited to do as good as I did the past couple of weeks in team settings and kind of get me fired up going into the offseason.Ē

What a crime to not give a rookie any team reps. Macadon't should have been fired for this alone. At least the kid has a chance to improve now, once we hire a new coaching staff. It can't get any worse than BM.
                      He'll get some reps this coming preseason...along with our #2 pick!

Comment

Originally posted by Roswell View Post

Makes sense to some. Because the only way to get a franchise QB is if you pick #2 or #1. Right? .

Thereís just no other way
                        Certainly better odds than picking in the 7th round. Right?

Comment

I don't know if he is or isn't, but he'll likely get a shot at it. Though, with a new regime coming in that did not draft him, who knows how much of a shot it will be.

All Hail The New York Giants!!

Comment

Originally posted by jomo View Post
                            .......a truly dumb article. The writer refers to "talent evaluators." What the hell is that? If they were NFL scouts, the writer would have said that wouldn't he?
                            That means he is speaking with bloggers, or worse.

Further, since he hasn't seen anything of Webb who has been with an NFL team for an entire year, his "evaluators" are commenting on what they remember of him in college.

I am not saying that Webb is a strong or weak candidate to be our QB some day.

I am simply saying that this writer gives us absolutely nothing real in this article.
                            The evaluators certainly don't know any LESS than anybody here. And lots of posters here have an opinion about how much of a travesty it is that somebody didn't give Davis Webb an opportunity to show how good he is.

So...what's the difference?

Comment

Ryan Leaf was probably the most spectacular bust in NFL history, largely because he was such an absolute jerk that his teammates didn't want to even be around him. Impugning NFL evaluators for not seeing that coming is like impugning Hollywood talent scouts in the 1980s for saying that Charlie Sheen was going to become a really good comedic actor.

Let's use the 2003 draft as an example. "Evaluators" were very high on the following three quarterbacks:

1. Eli Manning - #1 overall pick. Two-time Super Bowl champion. 51,682 career passing yards. 339 career TDs.
                              2. Philip Rivers - #4 overall pick. Seven-time Pro Bowler. 50,348 career passing yards. 342 career TDs.
                              3. Ben Roethlisberger - #11 overall pick. Two-time Super Bowl champion. 51,065 career passing yards. 329 career TDs.

"Evaluators" were not so high on the following three quarterbacks:

1. Craig Krenzel - #148 pick (5th round) - 718 career passing yards. 3 career TDs.
                              2. Andy Hall - #185 pick (6th round) - 0 career passing yards. 0 career TDs.
                              3. Jim Sorgi - #193 pick (6th round) - Giants practice squad member in 2010. 929 career passing yards. 6 career TDs.

Sure seems like they got it right that year!

People can focus all they want on the times when someone either won at Blackjack with a 12 or lost at it with a 20...it doesn't change the fact that nine times out of ten you're going to lose with a 12 and win with a 20.
                              Bad analogies all around. Sheen was on a hit comedy show for a bunch of years. .

And individual players are not hands in blackjack and their draft positions canít be compared to numbers due to human error. Sometimes ď20Ē is Couch or Leaf or Akili Smith or RG3 but in Blackjack ď20Ē is only beaten by one number. Every time.

Bottom line is you or I have no idea whether Webb is going to be a player in this league and neither do the Giants but they seem to like him. Personally, as Iíve stated on at least three of the other numerous threads youíve started on this very same topic, Iíd like to see them trade down and still draft a QB. Not sold on the 2 California QBs and I think the Giants can still get a real good player at that position later in the draft and pick up two high picks in the process.

How about if they got your guy Allen and picked a up real good LB and OT in the process?

Not everyone needs a QB near the top. This is the one hole in your continued argument.
                              Last edited by Roswell; 01-02-2018, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Certainly better odds than picking in the 7th round. Right?
                                So hyperbole is your thing.

Now I understand.

Comment

Working...
                                X