Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Eli Manning consider pay cut to stay with Giants?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would Eli Manning consider pay cut to stay with Giants?

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...rt_river_index

Excerpt: "Eli Manning wants to remain the Giants' starting quarterback, but he wasn't ready Monday to get into how much a return is worth to him.

The veteran sidestepped a direct question about the possibility of accepting a pay cut or reworking his contract in order to ensure there's a place for him on the roster and in the Giants' plans for 2018.

"You know, again, we've got to figure out all those things," he said as the Giants cleared out their lockers. "A lot of conversations have to be had with management before we get into all those things."

New general manager Dave Gettleman addressed the team during its final meeting before breaking for the offseason, but he and Manning will have a separate conversation at some point. That meeting has not yet been scheduled, Manning said.

Manning, who turns 37 on Wednesday, has two years remaining on his contract. He is scheduled to make $10.5 million in base salary in 2018, plus a $5 million roster bonus and $500,000 workout bonus. His cap hit is scheduled to be $22.2 million, which is currently set to be the ninth-largest in the NFL next season, according to Spotrac, and the seventh-highest among quarterbacks." Read more...
    ďNever argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.Ē MB Rule # 1

It's becoming a rhetorical question. lol Reworking his contract may be possible.

Comment

Iíve said it before, my thoughts from 2 days ago become headlines today.
      Manning is like a 38 year baseball player at the end of his contract. Although he can still play, teams would be crazy to pay him as if he was 32. Heís got to understand this, take a pay cut and chase another SB.

Hes got to make himself even more valuable to the team. I know he believes he has the skill set still but he has to understand from the giants perspective. He has no guaranteed money left and if heís cut he wonít get anywhere near what the giants will give him.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkSaint View Post
        Iíve said it before, my thoughts from 2 days ago become headlines today.
        Manning is like a 38 year baseball player at the end of his contract. Although he can still play, teams would be crazy to pay him as if he was 32. Heís got to understand this, take a pay cut and chase another SB.

Hes got to make himself he even more valuable to the team. I know he believes he has the skill set still but he has to understand from the giants perspective. He has no guaranteed money left and if heís cut he wonít get anywhere near what the giants will give him.
        lol, Eli Manning is not at any risk of getting cut by the Giants nor taking an acutal paycut which he has never done and never will do. I know the cap numbers are there for it, but the Giants just took major backlash from just benching him. John Mara and Gettleman but more specifically John Mara does not have the balls to let something like that happen, the cutting part.

If Eli somehow goes, it's going to be on his own terms.
        Last edited by BigBlueAllDay; 01-01-2018, 11:09 PM.

Comment

It seems that Eli's salary is the least of the Giants worries.

Comment

Originally posted by ashleymarie View Post
            It seems that Eli's salary is the least of the Giants worries.

It is, but A pay cut can helps us sign Andrew Norwell from Carolina or some other lineman, I think he should consider it.

a reasonable contract will help the giants field a better team and could prolong his career.
            Last edited by DarkSaint; 01-02-2018, 07:50 AM.

Comment

It was stupid for them to give him a contract til he's 39 anyway
              Everyone has the right to be stupid. Some just abuse the privilege.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlueAllDay View Post

lol, Eli Manning is not at any risk of getting cut by the Giants nor taking an acutal paycut which he has never done and never will do. I know the cap numbers are there for it, but the Giants just took major backlash from just benching him. John Mara and Gettleman but more specifically John Mara does not have the balls to let something like that happen, the cutting part.

If Eli somehow goes, it's going to be on his own terms.
                He would be with a pay cut without written insurance that he wont be . Would you do this without any reassurance built into the contract?
                Never go to battle with the intellectually unarmed.

Comment

I think he considers it depending on the structure of the contract etc.

"Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                  You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

He could redo his contract for more guaranteed money without taking a pay cut. That would free up cap space and avoid the pay cut

Comment

Manningís contract isnít the problem, because they can restructure it to bring down his cap hit.
                      Itís Vernonís and JPPís contracts that Reese ****ed the team with, because the dead money hits are huge while the cap savings are peanuts.
                      So theyíre stuck with those two overpaid bums.
                      Thats as far as Iíve gotten looking at this before my head started to hurt!
                      I hate math.
                      On the positive side, they can dump every one of the guys who are FA. Not a single name on the list they would miss.

"I'M ALL FOR IT!"

John McKay, HC of the 1976 winless TB Buccaneers, when asked by a reporter, how McKay felt, about the execution of his offense.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue58 View Post
                        Manningís contract isnít the problem, because they can restructure it to bring down his cap hit.
                        Itís Vernonís and JPPís contracts that Reese ****ed the team with, because the dead money hits are huge while the cap savings are peanuts.
                        So theyíre stuck with those two overpaid bums.
                        Thats as far as Iíve gotten looking at this before my head started to hurt!
                        I hate math.
                        On the positive side, they can dump every one of the guys who are FA. Not a single name on the list they would miss.

Agreed, JPP and Vernonís contracts are brutal for this coming year. Eli though has no guaranteed money he can be cut and be left with nothing while we take a cap hit.

Comment

IMHO #10 will be very flexible to help move the team forward. I'm not sure that's the case w/ #90 & #54.

Comment

Originally posted by gfanblue View Post
                            It was stupid for them to give him a contract til he's 39 anyway
                            Not to mention then failing to provide protection to a QB that makes Payeton Manning look mobile.

Comment

Something has to give. You can't pay Eli, JPP, Vernon, sign free agents to build the line and resign both OBJ and Collins in 2019. It's a 3 win team with a 37 yr old QB. Take a pay cut or leave.

Comment

Working...
                              X