Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Eli Manning consider pay cut to stay with Giants?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by buried_in_snow View Post

That is correct. The other option is to just release him and absorb a $12.4M cap hit but you'd instant realize a $9.8M cap savings.
    Thanks bro....at least I actually understand some of it.
    So what then? Keep him, rework his deal, maybe call his roster bonus a signing bonus? Can they do that? My gosh...Iím giving myself vertigo with this stuff.
    Eliís gonna be here 2018, is the bottom line, because I still contend that Gettleman isnít taking a QB with the first pick!

"I'M ALL FOR IT!"

John McKay, HC of the 1976 winless TB Buccaneers, when asked by a reporter, how McKay felt, about the execution of his offense.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue58 View Post

Thanks bro....at least I actually understand some of it.
      So what then? Keep him, rework his deal, maybe call his roster bonus a signing bonus? Can they do that? My gosh...Iím giving myself vertigo with this stuff.
      Eliís gonna be here 2018, is the bottom line, because I still contend that Gettleman isnít taking a QB with the first pick!
      The only way I'd accept Eli being here in 2018 and beyond is if he comes at a drastically reduced rate. But I don't expect him to go that route, nor blame him. There is probably a team out there that would pay him $20M a year to play for them.

The only guaranteed money still on the books for him is that $12.4M portion of his signing bonus. So we could essentially sign him to a two year extension, factoring that $12.4M into the guaranteed money and give him a MUCH lower base salary.

Again, that only benefits the Giants, not Manning, so I don't see him going for that.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkSaint View Post
        Agreed, JPP and Vernonís contracts are brutal for this coming year. Eli though has no guaranteed money he can be cut and be left with nothing while we take a cap hit.

Well that doesn't sound so good. Eli will be fine no matter what happens, he could make his own deal and we can't trade him unless he waives his no trade clause. We cut him we take a 12,4 million dollar hit on the cap and get nothing for it as far as draft choices or a player. But we do save about 10 mil on the cap so that's a positive as far as the money goes.

JPP, Vernon, Jenkins, and Snacks too, for that matter are any of them giving up money ? Just Eli ? So Eli leaves and what we go with is essentially 2 rookie QB's ? Another last place finish ? Another mess of a season in the first year of a new GM and HC ?

I'm not sure Eli goes anywhere, John Mara no matter what he says is going to be in on any decision.

Comment

Originally posted by CruzSoldier View Post

Itís easy math they can cut him after next year and pay only 6 million period. He can get his 23 million in 2018 and then after that disappointing season of poor play and a bloated contract he can retire or go somewhere like Peyton did becoming a game manager and winning off the teams defense and him not screwing anything up.
          After next year your talking about ? Yea so there's that. Or this year "disappointing season of poor play and a bloated contact" or he could stay here and 'win with the teams defense and him not screwing anything up".

Comment

Originally posted by DarkSaint View Post

The roster bonus is paid out already, it's going to count against the cap regardless. I think we have to convert some of the non guaranteed money into guaranteed salary for Eli to stay. Not sure how much we can split across without it hurting us this year. Buried in snow seems to be familiar with capology, perhaps he can give us an example or something.
            Thanks DS , Buried in snow said this " If you release him prior to whatever the date is that guarantees his roster spot, then you don't pay him his base salary, roster bonus or workout bonus." I read somewhere Eli is due the roster bonus in early march but I don't know where I read that ... any way its going to be interesting to how everything plays out ...

Comment

Originally posted by DandyDon View Post

If they designate him as a June 1 cut, their dead cap goes from about 12 mill to 6 mill this year. However, they would not be able to use that extra cap in FA, because they wouldn't get it until after FA is over.
              Ok I knew there was something.... thanks Don

Comment

Originally posted by byron View Post
                Thanks DS , Buried in snow said this " If you release him prior to whatever the date is that guarantees his roster spot, then you don't pay him his base salary, roster bonus or workout bonus." I read somewhere Eli is due the roster bonus in early march but I don't know where I read that ... any way its going to be interesting to how everything plays out ...
                Yes, I believe the date is March 3rd. They will owe him 5 mill roster bonus on that date. So any decisions/negotiations will happen before then.

Comment

Originally posted by That Guy Rich View Post

Well that doesn't sound so good. Eli will be fine no matter what happens, he could make his own deal and we can't trade him unless he waives his no trade clause. We cut him we take a 12,4 million dollar hit on the cap and get nothing for it as far as draft choices or a player. But we do save about 10 mil on the cap so that's a positive as far as the money goes.

JPP, Vernon, Jenkins, and Snacks too, for that matter are any of them giving up money ? Just Eli ? So Eli leaves and what we go with is essentially 2 rookie QB's ? Another last place finish ? Another mess of a season in the first year of a new GM and HC ?

I'm not sure Eli goes anywhere, John Mara no matter what he says is going to be in on any decision.
                  I know man, it sucks for Eli but he is 37 while JPP and Vernon are both in their prime. Not only this but if we get Barkley and improve the line, I can still see Eli have his best statistical season next year. I don't see any loss in ability and given time, eli makes the right decisions and can make all the throws. But he's 37 next year, I'm thinking of it in a baseball sense, will Stanton, be worth that yearly salary at 37? Did arod and Jeter st 37 produce enough to justify their salary? That's what the Giants will be thinking. Eli has been worth every penny of his contract and he's been rewarded for his superbowls. Now he's gotta consider his age and do the right thing for the team.
                  ​​​

Comment

Originally posted by That Guy Rich View Post

JPP, Vernon, Jenkins, and Snacks too, for that matter are any of them giving up money ? Just Eli ?

good point
                    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

I wonder why anyone would consider an NFL player contractmto be binding. The owners throw big bucks at the players to get them to sign n a year or two later, "Hey Eli, you gotta take a paycut." Perhaps an aging player's contract should have a declining income clause with an amendment guaranteeing full pay as a result of expected performance. Additionally, it always amazes me there are so many on this board who are quick to cut a players contracted income. Next time when you have an off day at work or are getting closer to tetirement be happy you're not asked to take a paycut.

Comment

Originally posted by Donnie Yen View Post

A few years ago before he signed his current contract Eli Restructured His contract which is like a pay cut.
                        Restructured is not a pay cut. It's redistributing the contract to be more cap friendly for that specific year by giving the QB more upfront guaranteed money that can be spread out for the rest of the contract years but every dollar is still accounted for. A pay cut is actually cutting a player's base salary that he can earn and that money goes bye-bye or in a form of a hard performance incentive that really can't be met. However, the player must agree to do this. A team can't simply just do it without the player's consent.
                        Last edited by BigBlueAllDay; 01-02-2018, 07:32 PM.

Comment

More importantly, the emphasis should be restructing the likes of vernon and JPP. They're straight robbing the franchise at this point. Although, I know this wont and can't really happen.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ALLnygIN View Post
                            More importantly, the emphasis should be restructing the likes of vernon and JPP. They're straight robbing the franchise at this point. Although, I know this wont and can't really happen.
                            Jerry Reese also left a mess for Gettleman, btw. lol

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlueAllDay View Post

I think this is very much one of the reasons Reese was fired. The team damaging contracts

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlueAllDay View Post

The Eagles built the Dream Team

Reese built Archie Manning's Saints

Comment

Working...
                                X