Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Eli Manning consider pay cut to stay with Giants?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post

Why is that, RO?

That's a serious question, btw.

If the coach comes to you and says "I want to see the younger guys and am going to play them regardless of how the games are going" and you reply "then play them the whole game" other than making the coach look stupid for having to stand by his own moronic idea, how does that make you crazy?

I grant you that this all must be viewed through the lens that professional teams don't signal to the league or their fans that they have given up on the season. That's a separate issue.
    The season was already lost when they approached him the only way we were going to the playoffs is if we bought a ticket. Eli had the streak and it wasn't like he played well this season even before the injuries in week 5. Eli basically refused to play but he has been here a long time so he knew how to hit them with the "flimflam". It didn't help that McApoo played Geno and not Webb you already knew what type of player Geno was.

Comment

Originally posted by CruzSoldier View Post

The season was already lost when they approached him the only way we were going to the playoffs is if we bought a ticket. Eli had the streak and it wasn't like he played well this season even before the injuries in week 5. Eli basically refused to play but he has been here a long time so he knew how to hit them with the "flimflam". It didn't help that McApoo played Geno and not Webb you already knew what type of player Geno was.
      What?

Comment

Why would Eli take a pay cut? The way the league is set up he took far less than he could have made on a truly open and free market just like his brother did because of the salary cap. The relative bang for the buck that Eli gives up would only remotely at best increase the odds of winning a SB if it increases them at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
          Why would Eli take a pay cut? The way the league is set up he took far less than he could have made on a truly open and free market just like his brother did because of the salary cap. The relative bang for the buck that Eli gives up would only remotely at best increase the odds of winning a SB if it increases them at all.
          Well in theory he would if he thought the other option was to be released.

As I said...."in theory".

the rest of that is pretty irrelevant.
          It's not Eli's fault....It's the chemtrails!!!!

Comment

He should take the paycut, JPPs wrapped club arm can throw the ball. We do not even need a QB we can simply get the ball at the 25 and have Rosas kick 85 yarders every posession
            Just remember Kevin Love makes more money then OBJ, and OBJ also dunks better.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlueAllDay View Post

Jerry Reese also left a mess for Gettleman, btw. lol
              He also left him a lot of really good players.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post

Why is that, RO?

That's a serious question, btw.

If the coach comes to you and says "I want to see the younger guys and am going to play them regardless of how the games are going" and you reply "then play them the whole game" other than making the coach look stupid for having to stand by his own moronic idea, how does that make you crazy?

I grant you that this all must be viewed through the lens that professional teams don't signal to the league or their fans that they have given up on the season. That's a separate issue.
                It's a repeat of how Eli got here. Like a spoiled child having a tantrum. When Eli played his first game, Warner was told to sit down and he did. When an employee refuses work almost anywhere I have ever worked you don't get to make your own rules. Eli has been paid handsomely during his tenure here which is coming to an end whether we want to believe it or not. This is a team sport, not a QB sport. I found his position to be selfish. It's how I feel, I am not looking to convince anyone to feel that way. I am sure most don't, but you asked....
                Last edited by RoanokeFan; 01-03-2018, 11:25 AM.
                “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post

It's a repeat of how Eli got here. Like a spoiled child having a tantrum. When Eli played his first game, Warner was told to sit down and he did. When an employee refuses work almost anywhere I have ever worked you don't get to make your own rules. Eli has been paid handsomely during his tenure here which is coming to an end whether we want to believe it or not. This is a team sport, not a QB sport. I found his position to be selfish. It's how I feel, I am not looking to convince anyone to feel that way. I am sure most don't, but you asked....
                  I've always believed this was the problem. When McAdoo approached Eli, he needed to INFORM Eli of the coaching decision. Not ask his permission.
                  This is where McAdoo went wrong.
                  If Eli then says that he might as well start the other guy, the coach should have said .."No...You're starting and they are coming in in the 2nd half...that's my decision".

Instead they gave a player veto power to a coaches decision. When that happens all hell can break lose......and it did.

To all those who have said..."Why would Eli accept that?"....i would say.."Why would he be allowed the choice?".
                  Last edited by RoanokeFan; 01-03-2018, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CruzSoldier View Post

I honestly do not believe there would have been much outcry if they went straight to Webb.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post

I see what you're saying and from what I've read I can see that some others here viewed it the same way you did. I don't think the Warner situation is similar since the conditions under which he took the job were clearly stated to him when he signed. As I expect will be the case (or at least I hope so) for Manning next year when the team sets up the needed transition to a new QB.

I try, often unsuccessfully not to read too far into to things since once I start doing that my biases kick in. So taking it at face value, I didn't read in the petulance you're describing.

I see Morehead's reply above and think he makes a great point. Had Mcadoo not asked then it would have been on Manning to defy his coach's wishes which would have been a spoiled reaction (again to me) and makes for an entirely different situation. The way it was done leaves the option open that Manning can say without guile "hey, play those guys the whole game if you want to see them" and it changes the dynamic entirely. Mcadoo shouldn't have asked. Just one of the many, many things he misplayed this year.

So yeah, maybe Manning's a Machiavellian evil genius, maybe he's a petulant whiner. I just didn't make the leap to that based on the facts of the situation. And that could absolutely simply be due to my own bias. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

I've always believed this was the problem. When McAdoo approached Eli, he needed to INFORM Eli of the coaching decision. Not ask his permission.
                        If Eli then says that he might as well start the other guy, the coach should have said .."No...You're starting and they are coming in in the 2nd half...that's my decision".

Instead they gave a player veto power to a coaches decision. When that happens all hell can break lose......and it did.

To all those who have said..."Why would Eli accept that?"....i would say.."Why would he be allowed the choice?".
                        Eli would have made this public and it would've blow up in Mac and Cheese face too. He pissed Eli off and paid the price with his job. As a fan I am ecstatic it played out like this and I don't give a damn how you want to interpret Eli's response to the benching. All I care about is the end result and we don't have to see an incompetent HC/GM combo now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

Then, Eli should have said, "(cough) OK, coach...(cough) I'll start, but (cough) I'm suddenly not feeling so well (cough). I hope I can still play well (cough)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post

I see what you're saying and from what I've read I can see that some others here viewed it the same way you did. I don't think the Warner situation is similar since the conditions under which he took the job were clearly stated to him when he signed. As I expect will be the case (or at least I hope so) for Manning next year when the team sets up the needed transition to a new QB.

I try, often unsuccessfully not to read too far into to things since once I start doing that my biases kick in. So taking it at face value, I didn't read in the petulance you're describing.

I see Morehead's reply above and think he makes a great point. Had Mcadoo not asked then it would have been on Manning to defy his coach's wishes which would have been a spoiled reaction (again to me) and makes for an entirely different situation. The way it was done leaves the option open that Manning can say without guile "hey, play those guys the whole game if you want to see them" and it changes the dynamic entirely. Mcadoo shouldn't have asked. Just one of the many, many things he misplayed this year.

So yeah, maybe Manning's a Machiavellian evil genius, maybe he's a petulant whiner. I just didn't make the leap to that based on the facts of the situation. And that could absolutely simply be due to my own bias. Thanks for the reply.
                            I certainly believe strongly that had McAdoo not backed down AND offered Webb as the go to guy, he'd still have his job. It was as screwed up as could be. If I were the owner and my HC could not have handled this situation more professionally I would have fired him when it hit the media heads circuit.

It's a me thing, as I have said. I have no ill feelings for Eli, McAdoo, Reese, or anyone else. If stupid were a crime, we'd all be cellmates. But there are limitations to how much an employee should be able to dictate his or her level of performance or lack thereof.
                            Last edited by RoanokeFan; 01-03-2018, 04:05 PM.
                            “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

• Originally posted by EliDaMANning View Post

Eli would have made this public and it would've blow up in Mac and Cheese face too. He pissed Eli off and paid the price with his job. As a fan I am ecstatic it played out like this and I don't give a damn how you want to interpret Eli's response to the benching. All I care about is the end result and we don't have to see an incompetent HC/GM combo now.
                              I guess you're right. Eli cried his way back to the starting lineup.

Comment

• You guys going to open up that Tax Consulting Firm?....
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X