The argument for taking Saquon at 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The argument for taking Saquon at 2

I am going back and forth with what to do at #2. Ideally, we trade back and acquire some more ammo to work with. And obviously, the QB is in play as well. But with it looking like Darnold might be going back to school, does Cleveland take Rosen at 1? Or does a team jump us and take Rosen there?

Regardless, I have turned my attention to us taking the best player at that spot. The best player in this draft and imo its not close is Saquon Barkley. I know people will point to the OL situation and that if there is no OL, how will Saquon be effective. To me, this is a bad way to think about taking a player of this magnitude. One way or another, the OL will be improved. A mix of FA and draft picks will upgrade that unit. If we are thinking of grabbing Saquon, I think resigning Fluker is a must. We can look back to how good the run game performed once DJ was put in at RG.

But also, as bad as our OL was and is, our 2 main RBs (Darkwa and Gallman) averaged 4,4 and 4.3 ypc. That is a pretty good number. So think about an improved OL with a top flight RB like Barkley back there. Now think of our offensive scheme in general which cannot be worse than what McAdoo used. And put Odell, Engram and Barkley on the field at the same time. The offense can be quite good with all of these elements. At this point, Saquon is the best choice for us at 2.

Thoughts?

I hear you! I'm in the same boat, undecided on how I would like the Giants to proceed. However, I think I've taken a completely different stance than my original thoughts. Keep Eli Manning and fix the offensive line. As you stated Gallman and darkwa average over 4 yards a carry with some OL adjustments. how much more per carry will Barkley have?

lets improve the offensive line to ensure our existing RB can consistently average 4+ yards and give Eli the time he needs in the pocket. As I noted in my thread, I'm blaming this entire season on the inept coaching abilities of McAdoo

I would be excited if they do draft Barkley. Not so if we draft a qb. I have to believe Webb, a year in the NFL sitting behind Eli is further ahead than any rookie quarterback we could draft.

imagine if we had goff last year. Everybody on the board will want to get rid of that "trash". Look what a coaching change has done for his career. Webb on that same team would play just as well, imo.
    That's why we discuss, We all have different perspectives. Ride and Die with the NY Giants

Comment

If they donít tale a QB at 2 I think should either trade back to get more picks or take the best o lineman on the board. The o line is the biggest issue with this team. If you upgrade it it should help the run also.

Comment

Originally posted by gntsfn View Post
        If they donít tale a QB at 2 I think should either trade back to get more picks or take the best o lineman on the board. The o line is the biggest issue with this team. If you upgrade it it should help the run also.
        This is the same exact mistake they made by taking Flowers over Gurley! You dont force an OL pick because you need one. Barkley is a generational RB and changes an entire offense and the way the defense has to view that offense. You can fix the OL without spending a 1st rounder on that position. There are NO RBs in this draft like Barkley.

Comment

The last thing I want them to do is pick a QB at #2. I would be happy with Barkley, but would much prefer trading the #2 for multiple picks.

Comment

One thing that puts the RB position as a possible priority for the draft, is that a top bell cow with miles to go is very unlikely to find or take a chance on in FA.

Comment

Don't get the 37 yr old QB replacement or fix the OL with the 1st pick? If the guy is talking lineman and evaluating the QB only to draft a HB, Gettleman will be gone soon after.

Comment

Originally posted by dmighty326 View Post
                I hear you! I'm in the same boat, undecided on how I would like the Giants to proceed. However, I think I've taken a completely different stance than my original thoughts. Keep Eli Manning and fix the offensive line. As you stated Gallman and darkwa average over 4 yards a carry with some OL adjustments. how much more per carry will Barkley have?

lets improve the offensive line to ensure our existing RB can consistently average 4+ yards and give Eli the time he needs in the pocket. As I noted in my thread, I'm blaming this entire season on the inept coaching abilities of McAdoo

I would be excited if they do draft Barkley. Not so if we draft a qb. I have to believe Webb, a year in the NFL sitting behind Eli is further ahead than any rookie quarterback we could draft.

imagine if we had goff last year. Everybody on the board will want to get rid of that "trash". Look what a coaching change has done for his career. Webb on that same team would play just as well, imo.
                I think getting rid of guys like Flowers, Jerry and Hart will be addition by subtraction. But how about this possible OL?

LT - Cordy Glenn - Acquired in a trade. Buffalo is desperate to get rid of that contract. Get him at his value now which is lower
                LG - Will Hernandez - 2nd round pick. Think Richie Incognito with this guy. Absolute beast
                C - Jones
                RG - Fluker
                RT - Chris Hubbard - FA signing from the Steelers

Right there is a much upgraded OL from what we had. In this case, you grab Barkley at 2.

Comment

Originally posted by NYSPORTS View Post
                  Don't get the 37 yr old QB replacement or fix the OL with the 1st pick? If the guy is talking lineman and evaluating the QB only to draft a HB, Gettleman will be gone soon after.
                  Who are you taking at 2 on the OL? The only guy worth that selection is Quentin Nelson...who is a guard. And you can grab a very good starting guard in round 2. As for the QB, I mentioned that as an option. But it seems Gettleman wants to give it another go with Eli. So you do that giving Webb another year to develop. If it doesnt work, you get a QB in the next draft.

Comment

We have to get OFF the Barkley train here.
                    Taking a RB at #2 is insanity. RB's are not at the kind of premium that other positions are.
                    look at this past year's draft.
                    In RD 1 we saw Fournette and MCcaffrey go in RD 1....Nice players.
                    But who are the best RB's in that draft?

Kareem Hunt....Rd 3
                    Alvin Komara....Rd 3
                    Dalvin Cook.... Rd 2

And if you are thinking there were some misses in between?...forget it. the only other back was Mixon and HE looks like a stud as well.

Hunt and Komara were HUGE impact players on those teams. They were had in RD 3. Cook may be the best of all of them but he got hurt early so we will see.
                    Barckley seems like a nice player but THAT position is not worthy on the 2nd pick in the draft. That is friggin crazy. I suppose if we trade down and get him AND a QB we like it makes more sense but even then...it makes little sense to me.

Plus look at our team. I can see them featuring Gallman and then either drafting or acquiring a speed guy to compliment him. THAT makes more sense for us and doesn't use up a top pick.
                    Deny everything. Admit nothing. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by moosedrool View Post
                      The last thing I want them to do is pick a QB at #2. I would be happy with Barkley, but would much prefer trading the #2 for multiple picks.
                      I would be okay with Rosen at 2. Darnold is going back to school by most accounts. The other QBs I am not taking this high. So Saquon is the pick that will impact us the most.

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                        We have to get OFF the Barkley train here.
                        Taking a RB at #2 is insanity. RB's are not at the kind of premium that other positions are.
                        look at this past year's draft.
                        In RD 1 we saw Fournette and MCcaffrey go in RD 1....Nice players.
                        But who are the best RB's in that draft?

Kareem Hunt....Rd 3
                        Alvin Komara....Rd 3
                        Dalvin Cook.... Rd 2

And if you are thinking there were some misses in between?...forget it. the only other back was Mixon and HE looks like a stud as well.

Hunt and Komara were HUGE impact players on those teams. They were had in RD 3. Cook may be the best of all of them but he got hurt early so we will see.
                        Barckley seems like a nice player but THAT position is not worthy on the 2nd pick in the draft. That is friggin crazy. I suppose if we trade down and get him AND a QB we like it makes more sense but even then...it makes little sense to me.

Plus look at our team. I can see them featuring Gallman and then either drafting or acquiring a speed guy to compliment him. THAT makes more sense for us and doesn't use up a top pick.
                        Sure, you can find RBs anywhere. You cannot find Saquon Barkley anywhere. So either you get the QB and or you take Barkley. There are NO OL worth a pick this high. Unless you want to force it like we did with Flowers over Gurley. And I like Gallman quite a bit. He does not have close to the talent level of Barkley.

Comment

Originally posted by tdawg1413 View Post

Who are you taking at 2 on the OL? The only guy worth that selection is Quentin Nelson...who is a guard. And you can grab a very good starting guard in round 2. As for the QB, I mentioned that as an option. But it seems Gettleman wants to give it another go with Eli. So you do that giving Webb another year to develop. If it doesnt work, you get a QB in the next draft.
                          You take a QB, end of story. Go look at the ages and the number of teams looking for a QB currently and in the near future. It's going to be a bidding war with over 1/3 of the league. You don't mess around on HB when it's a QB league.

Comment

Originally posted by dmighty326 View Post

Eli has 2 years left with us! The problem with the "WIN NOW" with Eli is, if you don't bring home a SB in those 2 years then you have wasted 2 years that could have been spent totally rebuilding this mess. I have watched the "WIN NOW" with the Knicks and Melo and it turned out to be a total waste of time. I'd rather rebuild with a new QB and young drafted players. Also we need to unload some of the dead wood which translates into addition by subtraction!
                            Last edited by bigjeep; 01-03-2018, 03:14 PM.
                            Players come and go on the Free Agency Merry-Go-Round, but the N.Y. Giants will always be here!

Comment

Originally posted by tdawg1413 View Post

This is the same exact mistake they made by taking Flowers over Gurley! You dont force an OL pick because you need one. Barkley is a generational RB and changes an entire offense and the way the defense has to view that offense. You can fix the OL without spending a 1st rounder on that position. There are NO RBs in this draft like Barkley.
                              True indeed but that was reaching reese and it could also be the lack of coaching, not putting the players in a position to succeeds or developing him. But yes, you make a good point.
                              That's why we discuss, We all have different perspectives. Ride and Die with the NY Giants

Comment

Working...
                              X