Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Name your ideal HC, starting QB, backup QB and first round pick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by TE88 View Post

    I disagree. I think QB, trade back and BPA are all viable scenarios with the number two pick. Whether Barkley or someone else the main goal is to come away with an impact player(s) from round one. Nothing is a guarantee in the draft and of all scenarios trade back and QB are the riskiest. Biggest gambles.
    Do you have better odds of drafting an impact player in the first round if you have 2 first round picks or if you have only one?

    Comment


    • Patricia, Eli, Webb, Barkley

      Comment


      • Josh McDaniels, Eli, Webb, and Barkley

        Comment


        • Originally posted by TCHOF View Post

          Do you have better odds of drafting an impact player in the first round if you have 2 first round picks or if you have only one?
          One if itís the second overall pick. Itís as close to a guarantee as you will get in the draft. This doesnít apply if a QB is picked - anything can happen with a QB pick.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Giantterp View Post

            Well, it's hard not to agree. However, I think I can see another side. If the Giants really believe that he's the next Marshall Faulk, you put him on a team with ODB, Sheppard and Engram, and the Giants might have the best young group of skill positions in the NFL. Remember, the first pick of the draft is not the only move they will be making this year and over the next few years. There's other picks in this year's and future year's drafts and free agency. Plus, times might be changing on the QB front. It's not easy, but there are other ways to get QB's then using a high draft pick.
            And with no OL those players can't perform with effeciency. RBs have a short career. Drafting a stud RB now makes no sense.

            Let's say it takes us 5 years to become a superbowl contender, because we had to hunt for a QB, rebuild our OL and added pieces to the defense. Now we have a RB with 5 years of wear and tear that has gotten his butt kicked running behind a broken OL, while he has been carrying the team on offense for 5 seasons because we have no QB. We just wasted valuable years to the lifespan of our RB for zero return on investment.

            See how all of that works? OL, QBs, CBs and DEs are more important to a teams success then a RB. Without those pieces in place a RB is wasted.

            We haven't even mentioned how the transition from college to NFL as a RB is much easier positionally speaking then a QB or OL. RBs on average are more successful faster coming out of college then other positions. It takes time to develop your young QB and OL. Not so mucn for RBs.

            Originally posted by BlueSabbath View Post


            TOTALLY agree. I do think a powerhouse running back helps open up some other offensive weapons we have, but you put a guy like Kerryon Johnson or Sony Michel behind a better OL and you'll probably have more success than Barkley behind our current OL... plus an improved passing game. Like I said last year with Engram... yeah, he'll probably have big numbers, but another receiver isn't going to help this team get any more wins and not addressing the OL is going to mean a lot more losses. I don't doubt Barkley could come in and put up good numbers, but we're not gonna win more games (well, we can't really lose much more than we did but you get the point)
            I too wasn't a fan of the Engram pick. It's not about him as an impact player it was all positional value and the fact we needed more blockers on the team. If going for a TE, I prefer the dual threat passing threat + run blocker type.

            Originally posted by TCHOF View Post

            Do you have better odds of drafting an impact player in the first round if you have 2 first round picks or if you have only one?
            There are a limited number of "NFL ready" prospects, the later you choose the less of them are still available. As the draft goes on, the luck factor goes up because you're gambling and guessing the growth of project players that have more mechanical issues or concerns coming out of college. Compared to the earlier parts of the draft where, if you do your homework, you can pick a prospect with less issues to overcome that appear more ready for high lvl competition.

            There is a reason a 1st round pick is more valuable then a 7th round pick. There is also a reason a 1st pick in the draft is more valuable then a 31st. Your question about odds completely ignores both of these factors.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by AGiantDynasty View Post

              And with no OL those players can't perform with effeciency. RBs have a short career. Drafting a stud RB now makes no sense.

              Let's say it takes us 5 years to become a superbowl contender, because we had to hunt for a QB, rebuild our OL and added pieces to the defense. Now we have a RB with 5 years of wear and tear that has gotten his butt kicked running behind a broken OL, while he has been carrying the team on offense for 5 seasons because we have no QB. We just wasted valuable years to the lifespan of our RB for zero return on investment.

              See how all of that works? OL, QBs, CBs and DEs are more important to a teams success then a RB. Without those pieces in place a RB is wasted.

              We haven't even mentioned how the transition from college to NFL as a RB is much easier positionally speaking then a QB or OL. RBs on average are more successful faster coming out of college then other positions. It takes time to develop your young QB and OL. Not so mucn for RBs.



              I too wasn't a fan of the Engram pick. It's not about him as an impact player it was all positional value and the fact we needed more blockers on the team. If going for a TE, I prefer the dual threat passing threat + run blocker type.



              There are a limited number of "NFL ready" prospects, the later you choose the less of them are still available. As the draft goes on, the luck factor goes up because you're gambling and guessing the growth of project players that have more mechanical issues or concerns coming out of college. Compared to the earlier parts of the draft where, if you do your homework, you can pick a prospect with less issues to overcome that appear more ready for high lvl competition.

              There is a reason a 1st round pick is more valuable then a 7th round pick. There is also a reason a 1st pick in the draft is more valuable then a 31st. Your question about odds completely ignores both of these factors.
              Where is your data that there is a higher miss rate for #10 picks than for #2 picks?

              Comment


              • Coach: Nick Saban (realistic choice Pat Shurmur) QB: Josh Rosen Backup: Davis Webb

                Comment


                • HC - Patricia
                  QB - Davis Webb or Mayfield if he falls to the 2nd round due to size.
                  Backup - Don't care Eli/Geno/Healthy Veteran FA at a good price.
                  1st round pick - Saquon Barkley, best player in the draft.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by TCHOF View Post

                    Where is your data that there is a higher miss rate for #10 picks than for #2 picks?
                    My data is called "probability". At the number 2 spot your options are increased significantly. How many times in previous years was it reported that a team jumped ahead and picked a player we might have be interested jn? Even if that story is false, that scenario is very real.

                    The draft is about predicting the future development of a player. The top of the draft is where all the "NFL ready" prospects are. Prospects that although aren't sure fire bets, have much more pros then they do cons. The later in the draft you select, the number of cons raises significantly.

                    You act like all prospects are the same. They are not. The reason a prospect is highly regarded is because their POTENTIAL is greater.

                    Some of you that act like the draft is a complete random lottery. It isn't. An educated guess is far different then picking a number from a hat. If you guys were right in anyway, a round 7 pick would hold the same value as a number 1. Which we all know doesnt.

                    NFL teams don't spend millions of dollars on scouting for no reason. If they thought it was a fruitless affair why the hell would the waste the money?

                    Nothing EVER in life is guarenteed and yet people single out the draft.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by AGiantDynasty View Post

                      My data is called "probability". At the number 2 spot your options are increased significantly. How many times in previous years was it reported that a team jumped ahead and picked a player we might have be interested jn? Even if that story is false, that scenario is very real.

                      The draft is about predicting the future development of a player. The top of the draft is where all the "NFL ready" prospects are. Prospects that although aren't sure fire bets, have much more pros then they do cons. The later in the draft you select, the number of cons raises significantly.

                      You act like all prospects are the same. They are not. The reason a prospect is highly regarded is because their POTENTIAL is greater.

                      Some of you that act like the draft is a complete random lottery. It isn't. An educated guess is far different then picking a number from a hat. If you guys were right in anyway, a round 7 pick would hold the same value as a number 1. Which we all know doesnt.

                      NFL teams don't spend millions of dollars on scouting for no reason. If they thought it was a fruitless affair why the hell would the waste the money?

                      Nothing EVER in life is guarenteed and yet people single out the draft.
                      Ok - so you have nothing. Got it

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by TCHOF View Post

                        Ok - so you have nothing. Got it
                        So you don't understand the basics of probability that a high school student understands? Got it...

                        Yes, sit there and pretend you are right as the entire trillion dollar sports industry, completely and utterly disagree with you.

                        The NFL disagree with you. Don't start crying about it pal.

                        Comment


                        • Tom Coughlin
                          Eli
                          Darnold
                          Darnold- obviously lol

                          Comment


                          • Schurm
                            Eli as long as he's productive.
                            Webb in waiting/training
                            F/A OL* and DL
                            1st round Saquon Barkley
                            2nd OL
                            3rd LB
                            4th OL
                            5th OL depth
                            6th DE/DB

                            we're Back... Back in a NY Mood!!!

                            Blue, or Die!

                            Comment


                            • Schurmer, Keenem, Webb, Barkley Have to take Barkley, he is the best player in the draft, and you don't know a QB is going to transition to the NFL. I could possibly live with Eli for one more year, but since he is on the way out let's start the future already because it's going to take a few years to get a solid team anyway. Anybody thinking next year is going to be great is dreaming.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by CruznNicks View Post
                                HC: Pat Shumar
                                QB: Sam Darnold
                                Backup: Davis Webb
                                Draft Pick: Sam Darnold
                                Lol.....it took me up to the 6th page until someone said shumar

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X