Davis Webb insights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Davis Webb insights

I am a 40 year Giants fan and also a Cal fan. My girlfriend is a Cal grad and my best friends dad is professor emeritus and he grew up a few minutes from California Memorial Stadium. We go to games when we can. I saw Webb play against Stanford in the Big Game. In miserable weather, he had a 400 yard game. He has excellent foot work but it is all shotgun drops. He rolls out well and can throw on the run. He has an outstanding arm. He can really throw it. He was not ready for the NFL this year. That is like most first year players. How many play versus sit and watch their first year? I employ people in a talent based business and all of them can't do what the seasoned employees can do. Once and awhile, you find one with above average intellect and talent and they can adapt faster than most. The NFL is the same. Everyone in college is a student first. Lets give him time. I truly believe Webb has the make up of a great NFL quarterback. If they draft Rosen (I saw him play recently too. Very talented) or Darnold and Webb does develop, he is trade bait and a 3rd round pick becomes a great investment.

If he plays half as good as he sounds the kid is going to be an NFL starter.

Too many good QB's is a good problem to have. On the flip side, they're all unproven and no QB is a disaster.

Comment

And I heard his footwork is terrible. So it's he said , she said.

Comment

I wouldn't say his footwork is or was horrible coming out. He was just asked to only run out of shotgun so there is not much footwork to do. He has a super live arm with easy zip from the wrist. I'd put his arm talent in the top tier of qbs in the league. He can throw off platform or on the run. If he is willing to work on the fundamentals of his game this kid will be lethal. I have no question this kid will work everyday to get better. He is a football junky and loves the game and is a natural born leader. That is why I would love to see the Giants draft Barkley and have Webb get a chance at being the franchise QB

Comment

Originally posted by MagicManning View Post
          I wouldn't say his footwork is or was horrible coming out. He was just asked to only run out of shotgun so there is not much footwork to do. He has a super live arm with easy zip from the wrist. I'd put his arm talent in the top tier of qbs in the league. He can throw off platform or on the run. If he is willing to work on the fundamentals of his game this kid will be lethal. I have no question this kid will work everyday to get better. He is a football junky and loves the game and is a natural born leader. That is why I would love to see the Giants draft Barkley and have Webb get a chance at being the franchise QB
          I hope he gets his shot. The big arm, work ethic, smarts and love of the game are all there.

Comment

Originally posted by StewieZ View Post
            And I heard his footwork is terrible. So it's he said , she said.
            you heard wrong

the kid is pretty wonderful mechanically and fundamentally

how those will hold up with live bullets flying in the NFL is obviously yet to be seen ... but everything from his drop to throwing motion is pretty dan sharp

holds the ball nice and high ... keeps his feet moving ... has a nice body throw

kid also has a rocket arm ... reminds me of Kerry Collins in that way a little bit

I've had the pleasure of watching him practice a number of times and very much enjoyed what I saw

Comment

I liked the pick when we got him, kid can drop the ball in so flawlessly when throwing a Fade

I guess we will just have to wait and see who is hired as the next Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post

you heard wrong

the kid is pretty wonderful mechanically and fundamentally

how those will hold up with live bullets flying in the NFL is obviously yet to be seen ... but everything from his drop to throwing motion is pretty dan sharp

holds the ball nice and high ... keeps his feet moving ... has a nice body throw

kid also has a rocket arm ... reminds me of Kerry Collins in that way a little bit

I've had the pleasure of watching him practice a number of times and very much enjoyed what I saw
                YES! He does remind of Kerry Collins in stature and throwing motion. Even a little resemblance.

Comment

Drafting a QB is a priority since there seems to be this uncertainty with Webb so it is two young guns competing for the position which is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by OCGIANT View Post
                    Drafting a QB is a priority since there seems to be this uncertainty with Webb so it is two young guns competing for the position which is a good thing.

It is just us fans that have this "uncertainty" with Webb because we haven't seen him play. I'll bet the coaches etc. know exactly what we have with him. They see him every day! What I wonder is how will that change with a new coaching staff. My thinking, is if we don't pick a QB with our first pick then we will know that the Giants management & coaches like what they see in Webb and are good to go with him post Eli.

Comment

How DARE any of you say anything positive about Webb!!! Nothing but a bunch of Eli haters!!
                      I stopped fighting my inner demons. We're on the same side now.

Comment

The problem with Webb is his accuracy on intermediate and deep throws. The motion is pretty clean and he does have an excellent arm. But the accuracy he showed at Cal left a lot to be desired. And accuracy is not a trait that tends to get better. I would love to see Webb become our QB, as that gives us the ability to not have to take a QB at 2. But I really think that not dressing him until the last game and him not seeing any snaps is pretty telling on how they feel he developed this year.

Comment

Originally posted by tdawg1413 View Post
                          The problem with Webb is his accuracy on intermediate and deep throws. The motion is pretty clean and he does have an excellent arm. But the accuracy he showed at Cal left a lot to be desired. And accuracy is not a trait that tends to get better. I would love to see Webb become our QB, as that gives us the ability to not have to take a QB at 2. But I really think that not dressing him until the last game and him not seeing any snaps is pretty telling on how they feel he developed this year.
                          And accuracy is not enhanced when you are running for your life and constantly under pressure. That is probably why you didnt see him this year.

Comment

Originally posted by DandyDon View Post

And accuracy is not enhanced when you are running for your life and constantly under pressure. That is probably why you didnt see him this year.
                            They made a mistake not playing him. Just simply seeing the field in an NFL game situation will help him realize the speed the game is played on this level. And he is more mobile than Eli, so maybe he would have made some plays in those situations. The thought that they held him back because of the situation is ridiculous imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Sicko View Post
                              I liked the pick when we got him, kid can drop the ball in so flawlessly when throwing a Fade

I guess we will just have to wait and see who is hired as the next Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator
                              Shurmur would do really well with him I think. He's killing it with Keenum and Webb has as much mobility and a much much bigger arm.

Comment

Working...
                              X