Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where might Giants find under-valued offensive line help?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where might Giants find under-valued offensive line help?

https://www.bigblueview.com/2018/1/5...sive-line-help

Excerpt: "New York Giants general manager Dave Gettleman has made not secret of his intention to try and upgrade the team’s offensive, long a weakness Jerry Reese either ignored or was unable to properly address.

Remember this line from his introductory press conference?

“We gotta fix the oline let’s be honest, let’s not kid each other,” Gettleman said. “Big men allow you to compete, and that’s what we’ve gotta fix.”

How will he do it? Gettleman said during an appearance on WFAN this week that it might not get done with flashy names and big-money deals.
    “You’ve gotta get into the fim and you’ve gotta dig it out. There’s always guys there that can play that have been underlooked.

”You watch the film and you get convictions. It isn’t necessarily you have to sign the stars and whatever. You’ve gotta work at the evaluation process. You’ve gotta grind through tape because there are guys there. There always are.”
    Internally, he has to start with decisions about free agents Justin Pugh and Weston Richburg. Pugh seems more likely than Richburg to stay, simply because fill-in center Brett Jones could well be one of those under-valued players Gettleman is looking for.

Gettleman said all avenues — free agency, trades and the draft could be used. Let’s look at a handful of options." Read more...

• gumby74
    replied
    Originally posted by DandyDon View Post

Yup. The Cowboys seemed to be able to do it though the draft, and with 1st round picks too. Smith, Frederick,Martin and Collins were all fist rounders I believe?
    It does happen, but it doesn't happen very often where everything just seems to come together at the right time.

OL men in general take time to develop. case and point Lane Johnson. He was deemed at bust at one point early on. Now he's pretty solid.

Also, this idea of building from the trenches is going to get us a Cowboys OL, i think won't really happen. Otherwise, every team would have a good OL. It's not easy putting a team together and figuring out where to put stop gaps and where to pay other players.

Leave a comment:

• Diamondring
    replied
    Originally posted by Blue_Cusen View Post

Because a few years back we had a guy that averaged 14 yards per carry but never started him at RB. Why? He was a punter, that's why. Numbers out of context are meaningless.
    So using a punter as a example of why numbers means nothing proves me wrong and who is this punter you speak of?

Leave a comment:

• Blue_Cusen
    replied
    Originally posted by Diamondring View Post

I come with facts not opinions.Yes football is about numbers and people attack me plenty of times and you do nothing. Now tell me why football is not about numbers sir.
    Because a few years back we had a guy that averaged 14 yards per carry but never started him at RB. Why? He was a punter, that's why. Numbers out of context are meaningless.

Leave a comment:

• boxcar willie
    replied
    Originally posted by Roosevelt View Post

I thought the same exact thing. There is simply not enough time.
    Hate to be critical, but, he doesn't have to look at every play of each game, like when the team is on defense. Also, the clock is often running between plays.
    I agree that his tape watching will be extensive and time consuming.
    He can also rule out many guys with a fairly brief examination. He'll have to 'cause, like you said, there ain't enough time to look at ALL the tape.

Leave a comment:

• Sicko
    replied
    Originally posted by TE88 View Post

Just as long as he doesn’t sign us a “Speedbump McGee”

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...gee-matt-kalil
    Yeah Matt Kalil wasn't good at Minnesota, didn't understand that move by Gettleman and the Panthers paid him WELL 5 years $55 Million ($25 Guaranteed)

Leave a comment:

• buried_in_snow
    replied
    Originally posted by CruzSoldier View Post

I wanted him to play RG but I believe they really liked Fluker at that spot. I think they want to salvage Flowers if not he can battle Fluker for the RG spot but he has to earn a spot not just handed a job because he’s s high draft pick to save face.
    I agree. "Try" him at RG means he has to tryout IMO

Leave a comment:

• DandyDon
    replied
    Originally posted by Tommy_Ribs View Post

Who said anything about reaching? If this team needs more good players then you should be OK with trading back, and getting more picks.

If we don;t go QB in Round one, I have Zero issue getting an O-Lineman, a RB, a LB, or DB with our first round pick. Whoever the best guy is there. There will be several OL in this draft graded very high.

And by the way, whoever Gettelman drafts will get the benefit of the doubt from me. I am going to give him 2 - 3 years to build this up. Probably longer than that. A great O-line shapes your whole team.
    Yup. The Cowboys seemed to be able to do it though the draft, and with 1st round picks too. Smith, Frederick,Martin and Collins were all fist rounders I believe?

Leave a comment:

• bigpoppy
    replied
    Originally posted by Sicko View Post
    Free Agent Signings! Going to have to spend money on that line and get some veterans in here to finally fix it! Nate Solder is probably not realistic. A team with a better Cap Situation will probably overprice the market for him and get him.

These guys are more realistic:
    Andrew Norwell

and Chris Hubbard (Experience at Left Tackle, Right Tackle and Guard)
    that would be Great if we got both of those guys! Go gettleman!

Leave a comment:

• CruzSoldier
    replied
    Originally posted by buried_in_snow View Post

Flowers doesn't have the feet or technique to play either tackle position.

If anything I'd try him inside at RG.
    I wanted him to play RG but I believe they really liked Fluker at that spot. I think they want to salvage Flowers if not he can battle Fluker for the RG spot but he has to earn a spot not just handed a job because he’s s high draft pick to save face.

Leave a comment:

• Tommy_Ribs
    replied

I agree with all. I just want to see QB or BPA all the way. Every round. Idon’t care about position just no more reaching for need. Reese got way too caught up with need picks and it ruined the team in the end. Can’t get tunnel vision on the OL and I don’t think Gettleman will. He just can’t give us a Matt “Speedbump McGee” Kalil LT - we already have one
    We actually have several.

Look, this mess will take a while to clean up, but he will clean it up.

It will be a process.

Leave a comment:

• TE88
    replied

Who said anything about reaching? If this team needs more good players then you should be OK with trading back, and getting more picks.

If we don;t go QB in Round one, I have Zero issue getting an O-Lineman, a RB, a LB, or DB with our first round pick. Whoever the best guy is there. There will be several OL in this draft graded very high.

And by the way, whoever Gettelman drafts will get the benefit of the doubt from me. I am going to give him 2 - 3 years to build this up. Probably longer than that. A great O-line shapes your whole team.
    I agree with all. I just want to see QB or BPA all the way. Every round. Idon’t care about position just no more reaching for need. Reese got way too caught up with need picks and it ruined the team in the end. Can’t get tunnel vision on the OL and I don’t think Gettleman will. He just can’t give us a Matt “Speedbump McGee” Kalil LT - we already have one

Leave a comment:

• Tommy_Ribs
    replied
    Originally posted by Diamondring View Post

I come with facts not opinions.
    Stop it. I mean it.

Leave a comment:

• Diamondring
    replied

You need to take it easy, OK?

You have a different opinion than someone else. Football is not just about numbers, and the person that you are saying does not know Football, actually does know Football. So stop your feud and let it go.
    I come with facts not opinions.Yes football is about numbers and people attack me plenty of times and you do nothing. Now tell me why football is not about numbers sir.
    Last edited by Diamondring; 01-08-2018, 02:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Tommy_Ribs
    replied

If they draft another LT in round one then Gettleman should be immediately fired.

this team needs more good players. No more of the reaching for need bull****. That’s what got us Ereck Flowers, Pugh and Richberg over what else was out there. Carefully build OL with Mid rounds and FA. No more top pick investments in the Ol. The return on investment sucks unless you pick an All Pro (unlikely for ANY GM)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X