Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many people clamoring to not get a QB @ # 2 in the first round had a problem with the Eli Benching?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many people clamoring to not get a QB @ # 2 in the first round had a problem with the Eli Benching?

How many people clamoring to not get a QB @ # 2 in the first round had a problem with the Eli Benching? just trying to figure out your mindset.

The team's misguided attempt to share snaps at QB backfired big time. They didn't go into that with a benching of Eli on the menu. Eli did that all by himself.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

I have no problem with getting a qb with the 2nd pick but i did have a problem with the Eli benching. It was how they presented it.

Comment

The whole thing was botched. "benching" Eli for Geno was just stupid. I would have been all for letting Webb play.

I think it's very possible that we can still win with Eli if we draft Barkley and spend FA and the rest of the draft fixing the o-line and bolstering our front 7 on defense. Of course, that's assuming Webb can eventually replace Eli.
        I stopped fighting my inner demons. We're on the same side now.

Comment

Originally posted by FBomb View Post
          The whole thing was botched. "benching" Eli for Geno was just stupid. I would have been all for letting Webb play.

I think it's very possible that we can still win with Eli if we draft Barkley and spend FA and the rest of the draft fixing the o-line and bolstering our front 7 on defense. Of course, that's assuming Webb can eventually replace Eli.
          If the O line could easily be "fixed" everyone would have a great O line. The Browns paid over $60MM for a "decent" guard last year. O line is REALLY hard to "fix" because O linemen are at a huge premium and these defensers are getting faster, stronger and less blockable.
          THAT is why so many teams struggle up front.

Whoever our QB will be next year had better well be prepared to face a lot of pressure as most NFL QB's must.
          Deny everything. Admit nothing. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
            The team's misguided attempt to share snaps at QB backfired big time. They didn't go into that with a benching of Eli on the menu. Eli did that all by himself.
            but did you agree with the benching and do you want the giants to get a QB at # 2? I had no problem with Geno playing and I thought Geno out played Eli to that point of the season but figured the next week Webb would get a chance to play and start and Webb would be our starter the rest of the season, I feel Spagnuolo and the Giants front office just to appease the fans and media bungled the whole thing. and the Giants would be nuts not to take a QB at # 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

If the O line could easily be "fixed" everyone would have a great O line. The Browns paid over $60MM for a "decent" guard last year. O line is REALLY hard to "fix" because O linemen are at a huge premium and these defensers are getting faster, stronger and less blockable.

Whoever our QB will be next year had better well be prepared to face a lot of pressure as most NFL QB's must.
              O-line can be fixed later in draft and in free agency. Defense lets not forget defense.

Comment

I would not have had a problem with it if it was presented to Eli better by telling him we are going to take a look at Webb if the game gets out of hand either way...

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

Who said anything about it being "easy"? But you have to at least try.
                  I stopped fighting my inner demons. We're on the same side now.

Comment

Originally posted by Donnie Yen View Post

O-line can be fixed later in draft and in free agency. Defense lets not forget defense.
                    Thats quickly becoming the standard tagline around here

"We'll fix the OL later in the draft"

That same mindset played a huge part in Jerry Reese getting fired. When your OL and/or your aging QB played badly enough to bring about a 3-13 record, you address one of those issues when you're picking #2 overall. You dont sit back and wait for later rounds, especially when there are 31 other teams trying to "fix" their OL's, or find the next franchise QB.
                    The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd - Bertrand Russell

Comment

How many people clamoring to not get a QB @ # 2 in the first round had a problem with the Eli Benching? just trying to figure out your mindset.
                      I very much want the Giants to take a QB this year, and I very much disagreed with benching Eli...for Geno.

Geno Smith is not a starter, and we gained nothing looking at him, be it one game or a dozen games. He has nothing to offer us beyond being a back-up.
                      Importantly, no evaluation of Geno was needed.

Had they benched Eli for Webb, at least we would have been trying to look to the future, regardless of how he did under center.
                      "I hire my brains"...Horace Trumbauer

Comment

I didn't complain about the original plan, I thought McAdoo was right. I thought Geno was treated unfairly and disrespected.

I just don't want to reach for a QB and then be stuck with the QB because it's a 1st round pick. The QB class this year has a lot of question marks to me. I like Josh Allen but he played for a small school against lesser competition so he looks like a gamble at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by FBomb View Post

Who said anything about it being "easy"? But you have to at least try.
                          "Fixing" the O line is going to have to come out of another part of the team. We will either have a $22MM QB or $13MM of dead cap space. We will have a high paid JPP still with a crap load of guaranteed money.

The best way to "fix" the O line is to bring in coaches who can take these players, with maybe one or two additions and make it work.

The most widespread problem with NFL teams is O line. Go on ANY MB from any team and you will hear the same thing. Even in Dallas.

But my ultimate point is that any Giants QB in 2018 had better be prepared to deal with a lot of pressure. ANY Giants QB will be running for his life and will be expected to make plays regardless.
                          The idea that THAT isn't true is fantasy.
                          Deny everything. Admit nothing. Make counter accusations.

Comment

but did you agree with the benching and do you want the giants to get a QB at # 2? I had no problem with Geno playing and I thought Geno out played Eli to that point of the season but figured the next week Webb would get a chance to play and start and Webb would be our starter the rest of the season, I feel Spagnuolo and the Giants front office just to appease the fans and media bungled the whole thing. and the Giants would be nuts not to take a QB at # 2.
                            I am not a draft guru. However, picking at # 2 I would go QB IF I thought we needed to or if I wanted more pics to fix the trenches. Otherwise, I don't usually care because the draft pisition is far from a guarantee of success.
                            “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

I though that the benching was handled completely wrong. Webb should have gotten the time, but since our then coaching staff did not see fit to begin preparing him as a functional QB that went out the window.

As far as drafting a QB this year, it really depends on the FO's conviction on the players available. If they have conviction, like Ernie did for Eli, they you take one. If deep down in side you are not sold on any of the kids, I think a trade down for picks (if it could be had) would be the best route.

Comment

Working...
                              X