Eli, please pass the gravy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eli, please pass the gravy

Everyone knew the day was coming where father time would take Eli from the Giants on to his next phase of life, but no one expected it would be in 2017.

I don't care who you are, being benched after starting 210 games in the NFL had to send such a severe jolt to the system. Even to the system of a guy who has seemingly handled everything thrown his way about as well as anyone.

So with an off-season in front of us, what will this realization of the final years be for Eli Manning? It seems almost fitting that Eli's story would conclude with this past year's "speed-bump" propelling him to yet another championship with the Giant. Or if not, then with Tom down in Jacksonville. Both of those scenarios would write the perfect ending for Eli, but obviously, the former would satisfy Giants fans the most while allowing Eli to go out on top.

The reality however is "the story" has never been what Eli's after. Eli's focus has never wavered. He's always wanted to play and win championships for the NY Giants. Hopefully he'll get one more chance.

But no matter how this thing ends. Here's to Eli and what he's done for us Giants fans. Anything more, is just gravy.
    Last edited by Roosevelt; 01-06-2018, 01:11 AM.

Originally posted by Roosevelt View Post
    Everyone knew the day was coming where father time would take Eli from the Giants on to his next phase of life, but no one expected it would be in 2017.

I don't care who you are, being benched after starting 210 games in the NFL had to send such a severe jolt to the system. Even to the system of a guy who has seemingly handled everything thrown his way about as well as anyone.

So with an off-season in front of us, what will this realization of the final years by for Eli Manning? It seems almost fitting that Eli's story would conclude with this past year's speed-bump propelling him to another championship -- with the Giants, or if not, then with Tom down in Jacksonville. Both of those scenarios would write the perfect ending for Eli, but obviously, the former would satisfy Giants fans the most while allowing Eli to go out on top.

The reality however is "the story" has never been what Eli's after. Eli's focus has never wavered. He's always wanted to play and win championships for the NY Giants. Hopefully he'll get one more chance.

But no matter how this thing ends. Here's to Eli and what he's done for us Giants fans. Anything more, is just gravy.
    +1

Well said

Now hold on for the Eli Basher attacks...lol

Comment

So with an off-season in front of us, what will this realization of the final years by for Eli Manning? It seems almost fitting that Eli's story would conclude with this past year's speed-bump propelling him to another championship -- with the Giants, or if not, then with Tom down in Jacksonville. Both of those scenarios would write the perfect ending for Eli, but obviously, the former would satisfy Giants fans the most while allowing Eli to go out on top.

Damn Rosie. I want the instigator back. This thread wont reach 10 pages

Comment

Hear, hear, Rosie.

The truth of the matter is that it is rare for an athlete to get that storybook ending, but in the end, most fans will remember a storybook career.
        "I hire my brains"...Horace Trumbauer

Comment

I think Iíll try to refrain from any further comments on Eli Manning and just refer to this post. Nicely said and I agree.

Comment

Dilly Dilly!!

Comment

Father time made the O-Line one of the worst in history...noted
              Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. MTwain

Comment

Originally posted by jay051 View Post

Damn Rosie. I want the instigator back. This thread wont reach 10 pages
                Truth is I came down with the flu on Monday, and havenít been myself all week.

I didnt set out to write that post. I set out to write about the consequences of the benching but the OP came out instead.

Go figure.

Comment

I just want an adequate line put in front of him. I know it's not waxing poetic, but if they do that and he fails that should pretty much seal the discussion. I'd be glad for that, in that at least we'd all know. The amount of conjecture it would put and end to on this board would be nice. Outside of that, of course I'd love the story book Eli ending. Regardless, he's been everything you could ask for as the face of a franchise. As a guy who loved Pat Ewing, I'd much prefer to see Eli get his wish of finishing it here than donning another teams jersey. Ewing not finishing his career as a Knick made me sick to my stomach.
                  sigpic Verbally I'm untouchable like Eliot Ness.

Comment

I donít have to say Eli stinks his teammates say ďnot playing like EliĒ and talking heads say has declined Iím just going to say he needs to go no later than this season he hasnít been good in 4 out of the past 5 seasons.

Comment

Well said.
                      Engage brain before speaking.

Comment

I can walk and chew gum on Eli.
                        I'd be happy to see him go to Jacksonville and win another ring while we shift gears, transition our QB and win another one here. I would also be happy if he stays and wins us one more ring.
                        They are not mutually exclusive for me.
                        Last edited by jomo; 01-05-2018, 06:29 PM.
                        No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

let me get this out of the way

Eli can't throw a screen pass

he shrugs his shoulders too much

his face looks funny on the sideline

his passes wobble

he says "ya know" too much in interviews

he is immobile

the defense won those championships and Eli had nothing to do with it

fire Gilbride

fire Sheridan

fire Palmieri

Comment

Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post
                            let me get this out of the way

Eli can't throw a screen pass

he shrugs his shoulders too much

his face looks funny on the sideline

his passes wobble

he says "ya know" too much in interviews

he is immobile

the defense won those championships and Eli had nothing to do with it

fire Gilbride

fire Sheridan

fire Palmieri
                            lol, I am sure that your list is incomplete.
                            No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

Well said. I've loved having Manning as our QB. I don't think he's perfect, i think his flaws are evident, but i know how many teams have wandered in the QB wilderness hoping to find someone as good (warts and all) as Eli. There's alot more teams looking for a QB as good as Eli than there are teams that have established 5 year starters in the chair who think Eli would be a downgrade.

However I think the untouchable status of Manning is gone. I think Gettleman will be fair with him, will treat him with respect, will make sure the coach he hires will treat him with respect, but they will collectively make the necessary decisions as they see it to the benefit of the team.

So many on here were happy to move on from Coughlin, and it was the right time to move on, but the McAdoo era shows that the grass isn't always greener, and there is no magic formula or system (outside hires vs. inside hires) that means your replacement is better than what you were replacing.

For our sake i hope the next QB we have is better than Manning, but i'm realistic about what its like to try and find a franchise QB in the NFL, and i think we're in for a similar experience at QB that we are going through at HC.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X