Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cover 3: How will Gettleman build Giants' roster?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cover 3: How will Gettleman build Giants' roster?

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs...f-0f418e0398a9

"In this week’s Cover 3, our writers discuss what we could see from Dave Gettleman’s first roster as the Giants’ new general manager.

John Schmeelk
    Change. Too generic for you? How about change on the offensive line? He singled out the offensive line (though perhaps only because he was asked about it specifically) at his introductory press conference. I would expect there to be significant reinforcements for the Giants up front on both sides of the ball over the next few months. The Giants only have two returning starters under contract on the offensive line (tackle Ereck Flowers and guard John Jerry), with decisions looming on center Weston Richburg and guard/tackle Justin Pugh. The Giants also have to decide on Flowers’ fifth-year option.
    Do not discount the importance of bolstering the front seven on defense as well. Jonathan Casillas, Keenan Robinson and Devon Kennard are all free agents, and B.J. Goodson struggled to stay healthy with extended playing time. The teams needs linebackers. They also need depth behind defensive ends Olivier Vernon and Jason Pierre-Paul. Both players are on the field nearly every play, and the Giants need to be able to trust the players behind them enough to give them more extended breaks.
    Gettleman’s own words at his press conference are the perfect way to close this answer: “In terms of team building, I’m old fashioned. Offense scores points, defense wins championships.”

Dan Salomone
    I would be remiss without saying the incoming head coach, whomever he may be, is going to dictate a lot of this as well. The new coach will bring in his own philosophies and staff, so let’s hold some reservation. With that said, we saw what direction the Giants wanted to go in the hiring of Gettleman, and the head coach will reflect that. And that direction points to the trenches.

>>>TRENCHES ARE TOP OF MIND FOR GETTLEMAN
    Every coach says every week that his team needs to stop the run first, then run the ball, then rush the passer. It is one thing to say it, it’s another to have the personnel and commitment to do it. I think Gettleman clearly laid out his vision for the roster when he stated that “big men allow you to compete.” He learned that from Tom Coughlin during their days together, which yielded some pretty good results. Gettleman brought that approach to Carolina, where he took a pair of 315-pound defensive tackles with his first two picks in his first draft as general manager.
    From there, it’s all about finding the right players in free agency, not necessarily the biggest stars. Gettleman made his career dissecting film, unearthing diamonds in the rough like Shaun O’Hara and Antonio Pierce during his first tenure with the Giants. “Culture is critical,” Gettleman said. The tone has been set.

Lance Medow
    In his introductory press conference, Dave Gettleman made it very clear he puts great value in the trenches, or as he calls it “the hog mollies.” Based on his tenure with the Panthers, there’s some evidence to support that approach. Gettleman selected at least one defensive lineman in four of the five drafts he ran for Carolina. The same trend occurred with offensive linemen, as 2016 was the only year he didn’t select a player from that position group. It’s important to note that his second-round pick in 2013, defensive tackle Kawann Short, made the Pro Bowl in 2015 and was rewarded with a long-term contract extension last spring. His third-round selection in 2014, guard Trai Turner, made consecutive Pro Bowls in 2015 and 2016. His fourth-round pick in 2015, tackle Daryl Williams, was just named second-team All-Pro this season. I would expect Gettleman to continue to focus on the talent on both lines with the Giants by evaluating the current group and infusing some fresh faces through free agency and the draft. He signed an offensive lineman during free agency in each of his last two seasons with the Panthers.
    A big part of the Panthers’ identity while Gettleman served as GM was a strong running game and a solid defense. After parting ways with Josh Norman in the spring of 2016, Gettleman rebuilt the secondary through the draft, and in 2017 he selected running back Christian McCaffrey with the eighth overall pick to provide a complement to veteran Jonathan Stewart. While he still has talent to work with in those two areas, as Gettleman mentioned during his introductory presser: “I don’t care what position it is. You can never have too many great players at one position.” That means he won’t shy away from stocking up the depth chart, something the Giants could certainly focus on given the impact of the injury bug this past season."
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

I don't get all of the people saying the Giants MUST go OL in Rd 1. As this article mentions, Gettleman has found guys like Trai Turner and Williams in the later rounds, as well as Norwell as a UDFA. In NY, O'Hara was an under-the-radar OL signing.

There is no OL in the draft whose value alligns with the #2 pick. Nelson is the closest one, but I wouldn't pick a guard in the top 2. If you have the #2 pick, it is a rare opportunity to get a franchise altering player. The only other time the Giants picked at #2, they got LT.

In this draft, I think it should come down to Josh Rosen/Darnold, Saquoun Barkley, and Bradley Chubb. If the Giants believe in Eli and Webb, then they should pick Barkley and continue building the OL in rounds 2-7. There is some really good OL after Nelson in this draft. McGlinchey, Brown, Connor Williams, Jamarco Jones, Kolton Miller, Martinas Rankin, Billy Price, Mason Cole, Frank Ragnow- a few of these guys could be available in rounds 2 and maybe even round 3.

Comment

​​​A second Rd pick doesn't come around often. That being said I would like to see the Giants grab Barkley. We need a dedicated rb that can move the sticks.

We can address the ol in the later RDS. I wouldn't mind them grabbing a QB if Webb is not our future. If Webb is the future grab Barkley and address the other needed roster spots with fixing this oline. If we could run the ball that would open it up for our receivers.

Comment

Originally posted by JimFassel69 View Post
        I don't get all of the people saying the Giants MUST go OL in Rd 1. As this article mentions, Gettleman has found guys like Trai Turner and Williams in the later rounds, as well as Norwell as a UDFA. In NY, O'Hara was an under-the-radar OL signing.

There is no OL in the draft whose value alligns with the #2 pick. Nelson is the closest one, but I wouldn't pick a guard in the top 2. If you have the #2 pick, it is a rare opportunity to get a franchise altering player. The only other time the Giants picked at #2, they got LT.

In this draft, I think it should come down to Josh Rosen/Darnold, Saquoun Barkley, and Bradley Chubb. If the Giants believe in Eli and Webb, then they should pick Barkley and continue building the OL in rounds 2-7. There is some really good OL after Nelson in this draft. McGlinchey, Brown, Connor Williams, Jamarco Jones, Kolton Miller, Martinas Rankin, Billy Price, Mason Cole, Frank Ragnow- a few of these guys could be available in rounds 2 and maybe even round 3.
        Probably because many of us have been begging for them to address the trenches for several years now. If they took a QB to trade for pics they could use on the trenches, I'd be happy with that
        “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Gettleman will never let on what he is going to do. Rumors can swirl, but he could care less. He doesn’t care who the fans want, he just makes good solid choices as he did in Carolina.

Comment

I don’t want Chubb, he’s not an elite pass rusher.

Comment

The Giants drafted at #2 twice. The other time they took a RB that retired after his rookie year.

I got 5 guys in this draft that I think will be studs, future pro bowlers and all pros. Barkley, Chubb, Fitzgerald, Roquan Smith and Nelson. None are QBs. IMO we need to get one of those 5 players no matter what. They could completely change which ever unit they are part of. I'd probably try to trade down to #5 and see who is still available from this list, but if we could trade back for extra picks plus grab one of these guys it would be amazing. As you said there are plenty of OL talent available in round 2 and possibly 3. If we can grab 2 OL in the first 3 picks plus a stud from here I'd be happy.

All hinges on the QB. Do our scouts think one of these guys is the man they need? Darnold is a turnover machine that needs to mature (should have stayed another year), Rosen is a head case that is hated by his teammates and all the other QBs have issues too. My gut says we won't go QB.
              LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
              "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

I agree Jim, unfortunately there is no L.T. coming this time. Don't know who Chubb is but the other 3 are probably the first 3 picks. And we do get the 2nd pick in every rd. Landon Collins was the first pick in the 2nd rd. And thru our history we probably have as many Giant greats in rd 2 as rd 1. Strahan, Tiki, Pepper Johnson, Cory Webster, Smith the WR after Aaron Ross was #1. So many more I just can't think right now. So We should get at least 2 players this year that make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by That Guy Rich View Post

I agree Jim, unfortunately there is no L.T. coming this time. Don't know who Chubb is but the other 3 are probably the first 3 picks. And we do get the 2nd pick in every rd. Landon Collins was the first pick in the 2nd rd. And thru our history we probably have as many Giant greats in rd 2 as rd 1. Strahan, Tiki, Pepper Johnson, Cory Webster, Smith the WR after Aaron Ross was #1. So many more I just can't think right now. So We should get at least 2 players this year that make a difference.
                  Big Hank, Linval Joseph, Snee, Osi, Toomer, Sehorn, Jumbo Elliot and Joe Morris were all 2nd round picks. Man I bet you are right we probably have a better All Round 2 Team than All round 1. Tuffy Leemans was a HOF FB we drafted in round 2 of the 1936 draft (that was the first draft ever). The next year we drafted Tarzan in round 2.

Sam Huff was a 3rd rounder, but another HOF.

A interesting draft note. In 1947 we drafted Tom Landry in the 20th round. He was a B-17 pilot in WWII that flew in my Grandfathers squadron. Two years earlier in 1945 he flew in an aircraft that my grandfather later got shot down in.
                  Last edited by IrishMike357; 01-08-2018, 10:23 PM.
                  "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

Originally posted by DarkSaint View Post
                    uhh... yeah he is

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post

Probably because many of us have been begging for them to address the trenches for several years now. If they took a QB to trade for pics they could use on the trenches, I'd be happy with that
                      I think we should not assume that what has been (with regard to poor draft prep and results) will continue to be.
                      I think many have been screaming for more high picks devoted to the OL because we have found precious little help on the OL from all sources....our CFL center being the exception.
                      A totally fresh look at talent could yield a totally different outcome. It doesn't have to and if fact it won't all come from high draft picks on the OL.
                      Last edited by jomo; 01-08-2018, 11:13 PM.
                      No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkSaint View Post
                        he does sorta remind me of JPP....could be one of those good against mediocre competition type of guys....OTOH he could be another ziggy ansah, calais type that can overwhelm guys with both size & speed. I don't know how anyone can tell TBH.

Comment

Please. Get roquan Smith.

Comment

Originally posted by jintslifer1 View Post
                            Please. Get roquan Smith.
                            ya think he is big & strong enough for stopping the run in the NFL? Great player, but a top 10 overall guy that is undersized? Not sure what team pulls that trigger

Comment

Originally posted by bigpoppy View Post

ya think he is big & strong enough for stopping the run in the NFL? Great player, but a top 10 overall guy that is undersized? Not sure what team pulls that trigger
                              He is a great cover LB. In the modern NFL you need a guy like him more than some big run stuffing hammer. With that said though he can lay the lumber. I think him paired with Goodson would be a great combo. We have had trouble covering LBs for over a decade, a great cover LB would be a good thing for this D.
                              "Next man up"

Comment

Working...
                              X