Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cover 3: How will Gettleman build Giants' roster?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post

    He is a great cover LB. In the modern NFL you need a guy like him more than some big run stuffing hammer. With that said though he can lay the lumber. I think him paired with Goodson would be a great combo. We have had trouble covering LBs for over a decade, a great cover LB would be a good thing for this D.
    ya man. i'm with ya. luv the kid's talent and he could put on 10-15 lbs of muscle hopefully...but with the Qb thing happening it only occurs in a trade down from 2 overall or a trade up from the 2nd i think.... would they prefer smith over orlando brown or connor williams or even barkely or chubb of fitzpatrick? not sure i can see how it happens but ya never know
    Last edited by bigpoppy; 01-09-2018, 12:32 PM.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post
      Big Hank, Linval Joseph, Snee, Osi, Toomer, Sehorn, Jumbo Elliot and Joe Morris were all 2nd round picks. Man I bet you are right we probably have a better All Round 2 Team than All round 1. Tuffy Leemans was a HOF FB we drafted in round 2 of the 1936 draft (that was the first draft ever). The next year we drafted Tarzan in round 2.

      Sam Huff was a 3rd rounder, but another HOF.

      A interesting draft note. In 1947 we drafted Tom Landry in the 20th round. He was a B-17 pilot in WWII that flew in my Grandfathers squadron. Two years earlier in 1945 he flew in an aircraft that my grandfather later got shot down in.
      Wow I love this thread Mike, all those 2nd rounders, do you believe the success we've had in that round. And the 2nd pick each rd this year should bring another real good player. ( I hope )

      Your grandfather has nothing but respect from me as does that whole generation. You know that thing 7 degrees from someone, well your grandfather was right there in the same footsteps as one of the greatest coaches in football history. Plus he was a pretty good strong safety for the Giants and made up the other half of the greatest Giant safety combo in our history with Emlen Tunnel.

      Very interesting thread Mike, thanks for answering.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by That Guy Rich View Post

        Wow I love this thread Mike, all those 2nd rounders, do you believe the success we've had in that round. And the 2nd pick each rd this year should bring another real good player. ( I hope )

        Your grandfather has nothing but respect from me as does that whole generation. You know that thing 7 degrees from someone, well your grandfather was right there in the same footsteps as one of the greatest coaches in football history. Plus he was a pretty good strong safety for the Giants and made up the other half of the greatest Giant safety combo in our history with Emlen Tunnel.

        Very interesting thread Mike, thanks for answering.
        No problem. Glad someone found it interesting. It's always fun looking back on things like draft history. Unfortunately I didn't find out about the Landry thing until years after my Grandfather passed away. I would have like to ask him if they knew each other. They could have as they would have been living in the same area and flew several of the same missions. Although Landry was an officer and my grandfather was enlisted. Still pretty cool.
        LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
        "Next man up"

        "I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by bigpoppy View Post

          ya man. i'm with ya. luv the kid's talent and he could put on 10-15 lbs of muscle hopefully...but with the Qb thing happening it only occurs in a trade down from 2 overall or a trade up from the 2nd i think.... would they prefer smith over orlando brown or connor williams or even barkely or chubb of fitzpatrick? not sure i can see how it happens but ya never know
          Yeah I don't think Smith has much of a chance to get drafted by us. Even if we don't go QB and trade back I think Barkley, Chubb and Nelson would be targeted first for sure and Fitzpatrick and OTs possibly before him as well. He will be a good player for someone though.
          LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
          "Next man up"

          "I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post
            No problem. Glad someone found it interesting. It's always fun looking back on things like draft history. Unfortunately I didn't find out about the Landry thing until years after my Grandfather passed away. I would have like to ask him if they knew each other. They could have as they would have been living in the same area and flew several of the same missions. Although Landry was an officer and my grandfather was enlisted. Still pretty cool.
            Absolutely cool and a lot of pride as well.

            Comment


            • #21
              Good thread...

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post

                He is a great cover LB. In the modern NFL you need a guy like him more than some big run stuffing hammer. With that said though he can lay the lumber. I think him paired with Goodson would be a great combo. We have had trouble covering LBs for over a decade, a great cover LB would be a good thing for this D.
                Hes actually not great in coverage at all.

                Comment

                Working...
                X