The Logisitics of Keeping Eli Manning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Logisitics of Keeping Eli Manning

Since the day McAdoo benched Eli Manning, these forums have constantly had talk of "Eli should be the starter for the next few years!" OR "it is time to move on!". I personally do not think he is terrible. He is a good QB, but not a game-changer like the "elite" QBs are. (Though I feel a few teams would prefer to have Eli than the mess they have now). **cough** Jags **cough**

Since I love math, and was sick with a stomach bug all last week , I decided to look at how the Giants would look cap-wise IF they use their second overall pick for a future franchise QB AND keep Eli to bridge the succession period.

Bear in mind, I ONLY drafted the first round pick in this scenario. I did not add anyone else in free agency or in the draft. And I only cut those players on the current roster that, to me, were clearly practice squad material.

I factored our rookie QB would be paid similar to last year's second overall pick, Mitch Trubisky. He has a total contract value of around $29million. And a 2017 salary cap charge of around $5.2million.

So having factored in those criteria, below is our remaining cap space, and current roster for the team. (https://overthecap.com/calculator/new-york-giants) link to site I used to help me calculate the cap space.

Cap space = $18.7million
    Players under contract = 51
    "!" = positions I think need upgrading below

ROSTER
    QB - Eli Manning / Rookie QB / Davis Webb

RB! - Wayne Gallman / Paul Perkins / Shane Smith

WR - OBJ / Brandon Marshall / Sterling Shepard / Dwayne Harris / Roger Lewis / Darius Powe / Hunter Sharp

TE - Evan Engram / Rhett Ellison / Jerrell Adams

OT!! - Ereck Flowers (gag) / Chad Wheeler / Nick Becton / Adam Bisnowaty / Jessamen Dunker

OG!! - John Jerry / Zak DeOssie / Damien Mama / Ethan Cooper

C!! -

DE - JPP / OV / Jordan Williams / Romeo Okwara / Avery Moss

DT - Damon Harrison / Dalvin Tomlinson / Josh Banks / Kristjan Sokoli

OLB!! - Ray-Ray Armstrong

ILB! - BJ Goodson / Calvin Munson / Joshua Perry / Derrick Matthews

CB - Janoris Jenkins / DRC / Eli Apple / Brandon Dixon / Jeremiah McKinnon / Donte Deayon

S - Landon Collins / Darian Thompson / Tim Scott / Andrew Adams / Ryan Murphy

P - Brad Wing

K! - Marshall Koehn

$18.7million is not a lot of cap space to go hunting for any of the "big game" players during the free agency period! I do not see how this team can fix this o-line with such a tight budget. At least my amateur, stomach-virus weakened mind cannot fathom how

Due to the cap situation, I feel EITHER 1) Eli stays, they continue with Webb at backup, trade back for more picks, and try one last shot at a championship with a young team around Eli OR 2) they cut/trade/"retire" Eli, draft a new QB, and use the around $10million extra cap space from Eli leaving to fill more holes on the team. But I do NOT think you can keep Eli AND an early first round QB with our current cap situation. ($28.2million for 3 QBs)

But this is why Gettleman is being paid millions and I am sitting at home theorizing what my favorite team in the NFL will do. So I am content, for now, to sit back and enjoy this coming off-season. (And of course, watch these playoff games)

I am ready for my fellow fans' comments and opinions on this info. Good, Bad, and Ugly of course

I think DG gives Eli an ultimatum or an understanding that his tenure on the team will be governed by his performance.
    I believe for the first time in Eli's career he will have to be looking over his shoulder. I think that pressure will be good actually.

"it won't matter who we pick at #2 because whoever it is we need him..."

​​​​​​ -Jesse James

Comment

Originally posted by GameTime View Post
      I think DG gives Eli an ultimatum or an understanding that his tenure on the team will be governed by his performance.
      I believe for the first time in Eli's career he will have to be looking over his shoulder. I think that pressure will be good actually.
      I agree that would be Gettleman's policy and that it would be good for the team.
      i just feel the team would have too many holes and will not be able to produce regardless if Eli plays great.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlue:TNG View Post

I agree that would be Gettleman's policy and that it would be good for the team.
        i just feel the team would have too many holes and will not be able to produce regardless if Eli plays great.
        If Eli plays great, we will win more than lose next year. I just dont see the defense being this bad again. The entire team was in a "Eh, who cares" mode this season it seems. It was a season of turmoil. Im hoping for a big bounce back next year. It may take a few seasons to get back to the playoffs, but I want to see at least going in the right direction. We can not have a long period of time where we are a 3-4-5-6 win team.
        http://thegiantsboard.proboards.com/

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post

If Eli plays great, we will win more than lose next year. I just dont see the defense being this bad again. The entire team was in a "Eh, who cares" mode this season it seems. It was a season of turmoil. Im hoping for a big bounce back next year. It may take a few seasons to get back to the playoffs, but I want to see at least going in the right direction. We can not have a long period of time where we are a 3-4-5-6 win team.
          Very good point. You have to start somewhere and Gettleman even said this process will take a few years. Thanks for you analysis.

Comment

Eli would excel in a run first offense. Cut down on his attempts and his accuracy will improve. Unfortunately, he's had to turn nothing into something for too many years, due to bad rosters.

His 40+ attempt days should be over. He's still an excellent game manager and has the tools to win it all. The problem is, everything has to be done perfectly for him to excel. The pass protection, routes, etc....He doesn't have the mobility to improvise and get receivers open down field.

I prefer a pocket passer, but one who can roll out at least, or run a QB sneak.
            Long Live the King

Comment

Good work. The talent on most NFL teams is fairly similar amongst the starters. Of course depth is a huge factor that dictates how successful teams end up. To me, a team can "buy in" due to early success and give that maximum effort with belief that they can go somewhere. It is just as common for teams to fold the tents and just go through the motions due to early failure, injuries, heartbreakers--this was a factor with the 2017 NY Giants. This is why coaching is huge. I think the guy in SD did a great job holding his team together and in the playoff hunt despite a bunch a heartbreaking losses early in the season.

As for your contract/money analysis, it helps show what good fortune the Giants had in being able to land Webb in the 3rd round. He's as likely to end up a polished pro as the top 4 or 5 college prospects and doesn't have the same initial contract liability. This is why as a TEAM fan, it is in our best interest to hope he can be the guy. It is part of the solution in building a long term contender--instead of patchwork nonsense.

Comment

I'm kind of hoping that the Giants hire McDaniels. In their current situation an Offensive Coach is a Must! And because McDaniel used to work for Spags, I would love to see him keep Spags on the Defensive side. This Defense isn't broken. It just needs to get healthy regain their tough guy attitude and add a few key pieces.

Concerning Eli: I hope he stays, they can win with Eli, but only if he gives back some money allowing them to build the type of line he'll need to succeed.

A good running game that can be counted on in short yardage situations would put Eli's past favorite Play Action right back in play for long gainers.

I love the fact that McDaniels game plans to suit the situation. He's always making changes and with his experience and football IQ, I think Eli will.be up to and enjoy the challenge. With McDaniels as the Head Coach, I think the Giants will quickly find out that Davis Webb just might be their Jimmy G!

Finally........TRADE the #2 Pick. My Prime Trading Partner being the JETS. Send the Jets the #2 pick and get back the #6 pick and their 2 #2 picks.

This would give Gettleman 4 of the first 98 players in the upcoming draft.
                With that many choices and a good eye in free agency, it would not be just a Pipe dream to see the Giants as 2018 Division Winners and maybe More!

Comment

Iíll take it a step further based on comments YA made a few years ago and that is that it takes more than one season to fully implement a new offense.

Now even though we saw little to zero advancement with McAdoo, if that was in fact the case, does it make sense having Eli run a developing offense rather than your potential long term starter?

Comment

I think all of this depends on how long Giants management expects Eli to be here because if they think he will be gone after next season I doubt they would change the offense again. If changing the offense is the plan then Eli shouldn't be in the plan for the future, but the problem will be how to get Eli of the roster.

Comment

Originally posted by GameTime View Post
                      Agree here think if Eli is still here or has taken a pau cut he will have to compete for his spot this year,it's also possible the jags with that defense try a trade if Eli will wave the no trade clause,which is probably best for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post

Agree we are already through a half decade of 3-4-5-6 win teams they need to start showing progress,do not and sure ownership doesn't want another 5 or 6 years of this.

Comment

Originally posted by JesseJames View Post
                          I think all of this depends on how long Giants management expects Eli to be here because if they think he will be gone after next season I doubt they would change the offense again. If changing the offense is the plan then Eli shouldn't be in the plan for the future, but the problem will be how to get Eli of the roster.
                          I have to assume the new staff will be running their own system and not our previous one. And I have to admit that I'm a bit surprised no one has been talking about it after all the talk over Eli having to learn McAdoo's.

Comment

Originally posted by Roosevelt View Post
                            Iíll take it a step further based on comments YA made a few years ago and that is that it takes more than one season to fully implement a new offense.

Now even though we saw little to zero advancement with McAdoo, if that was in fact the case, does it make sense having Eli run a developing offense rather than your potential long term starter?

Agree new coach new system wether it is Webb or the draft pick it would make more sense to start fresh let them learn and play in the new system,rather then take a vet with a year or 2 left and get everyone timed up with him just to change later.

Comment

Originally posted by big blue dog View Post

Agree new coach new system wether it is Webb or the draft pick it would make more sense to start fresh let them learn and play in the new system,rather then take a vet with a year or 2 left and get everyone timed up with him just to change later.
                              Even if they cut Eli, they will find another veteran qb to be the place holder anyway. They shouldn't throw the new rookie out there with little to no protection. That leads to disaster just ask the colts.

Comment

Working...
                              X