Should Landon Collins be a LB?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sicko View Post
    2x Pro Bowl and 1x All Pro Safety! Safe to say that Landon Collins is a Safety. We could use a upgrade at Free Safety though because neither Thompson or Adams look like the Long Term Answer.
    Landin is a liability in coverage. The new dc, if we get one, will need to scheme around this weakness.

I know it was only one game but Adams had a hell of a game vs the skins in week 17. Dt on the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if he gets cut.
    [SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluejeep8888 View Post

Landin is a liability in coverage. The new dc, if we get one, will need to scheme around this weakness.

I know it was only one game but Adams had a hell of a game vs the skins in week 17. Dt on the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if he gets cut.
      Landon is the LAST of our issues on Defense! He is Fine just the way he is, we need a Playmaker at Linebacker and Free Safety. New DC will be HAPPY that he has Landon Collins as his Strong Safety to work with!

Comment

Originally posted by Sicko View Post

Landon is the LAST of our issues on Defense! He is Fine just the way he is, we need a Playmaker at Linebacker and Free Safety. New DC will be HAPPY that he has Landon Collins as his Strong Safety to work with!
        We do have a huge amount of problems on the defense. But it's a fact Landin struggles in coverage. And if the new dc ignores this, the giants will be giving up big plays left and right.
        [SIGPIC]

Comment

i think Landon is fine where he is,agreed he struggled at times this past season
          but as mentioned,he is best playing down hill,coming at the ball, i think a real FS
          will help a lot!! im not much for Thompson but i do think Adams has potential

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluejeep8888 View Post

We do have a huge amount of problems on the defense. But it's a fact Landin struggles in coverage. And if the new dc ignores this, the giants will be giving up big plays left and right.
            My intent by this thread was not to switch him to a LB but to get a reaction from the board to the fact that Collins is weak at coverage. Some can say he will be fine once they get a real good free safety. I don't think it will matter that much as he is what he is. He will give up big plays for the Giants! Why? because his cover skills are not great and this a big passing league with faster WR's and QB's with stronger arms. Collins should have not been in the pro-bowl this year. Don't get more wrong he is great moving downhill but he is not a complete safety whether or strong or free.
            sigpic

LT - Carson - Kelley - Van Pelt

Comment

Originally posted by fansince75 View Post
              i think Landon is fine where he is,agreed he struggled at times this past season
              but as mentioned,he is best playing down hill,coming at the ball, i think a real FS
              will help a lot!! im not much for Thompson but i do think Adams has potential
              He's weak in coverage and all OC's will exploit him. He will be exposed to the play action pass as his tendency is to move forward toward the ball.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bluesbrother View Post

Why take a player that's very good at what he does and turn him int something he isn't? I don't like the idea
                Don't worry I will make sure I don't do that.
                sigpic

Comment

His position shouldn't change. Minkah Fitzpatrick should just be lined up at the other saftey spot so he can actually do his own job.
                  Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN

I wrote after the combine that Engram was entering the first-round discussion, and I've moved him above David Njoku as my second-ranked tight end. He put up the best 40 time (4.42) among tight ends and the fourth-best vertical (36 inches) at the combine. At 6-3, 234, Engram had 65 catches for 925 yards and eight touchdowns in 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by CGYgiant View Post

Hes better at playing the run than most LB's, but why waste him there? he absolutely can cover and cover well. This isn't 1980 where we need 250 pound linebackers.

We played more 2 high/quarters coverage than anything else. He's not Ed Reed or Earl Thomas playing single high but we dont need him to be. Thats not where he wins. His coverage/anticipation on underneath routes is exceptional
                    Well said. Speaking of Earl Thomas and the Seahawks, I've always likened Collins to a Cam Chancellor safety anyway. That's what he is great at, underneath routes, run support and overall anticipation/instincts.

Comment

We just need to pair him with a good coverage FS.

Comment

Originally posted by Roswell View Post
                        I was under the impression that he had a bad ankle for a good part of the season. He was fine in coverage his second year. I think that people are overthinking this.
                        Is that truly what happened to him?

I just assumed he quit on the team like a few other guys.

Comment

Originally posted by AGiantDynasty View Post
                          We just need to pair him with a good coverage FS.
                          Yes, that seems accurate to me.

Comment

Originally posted by timmytimm3 View Post
                            Give him a reliable FS and let him shine
                            This

Comment

Originally posted by Roosevelt View Post

Yes, that seems accurate to me.
                              So let's say you pair him with the best free saftey in the league. But then the play calls for Landin to cover the deep pass for whatever reason... how does that help Landin? This is the NFL. You can't hide bad coverage players. Teams are gonna find the weakness. I shouldn't even say going to because they already have, multiple times. A pass rush could help though. Remember when jpp got over 10 sacks in a season.
                              [SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                                His cover skills are weak but he is strong in the box. Lots of people say he is a great player but IMO he isn't a complete safety at all. Maybe he is best suited as a LB.
                                Maybe we can try the towel boy at kicker too!

"I'M ALL FOR IT!"

John McKay, HC of the 1976 winless TB Buccaneers, when asked by a reporter, how McKay felt, about the execution of his offense.

Comment

Working...
                                X