31 Years Ago today......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
    Possibly the most glorious day in my life as a Giants fans. After 2 decades of torment.................

https://www.facebook.com/newyorkgian...0301zg&fref=nf
    I would give anything, to go back to that time for an hour!
    My avatar is old Giants stadium for a reason.
    Before that, the only good thing about a Giants’ game was Marty Glickman and Marv Albert!!!
    "I'M ALL FOR IT!"

John McKay, HC of the 1976 winless TB Buccaneers, when asked by a reporter, how McKay felt, about the execution of his offense.

Comment

single greatest Giant memory for me

I was in the stadium with my old man ... first and only time I saw the old man cry

two things stand out about that day

when everyone in the stands found out that Denver had beat Cleveland the place went bananas ...Cleveland was the better team

and when there were minutes left in the game while we were all hugging complete strangers and celebrating I remember looking at my pops who was sitting in his seat weeping ... I reached down and he reached back up and gave me a firm bro shake and we just nodded in approval to each other ... I went back to celebrating while dad sat in silence soaking it all in

Comment

My father was from Assumption, Ill and was a life long Bears fan.....So he had his day the previous year.
        It's not Eli's fault....It's the chemtrails!!!!

Comment

One of my all time favorite games. After so many years of failure, it felt sooooooooooo good.

Comment

Originally posted by fletch842 View Post
            One of my all time favorite games. After so many years of failure, it felt sooooooooooo good.
            You sound like you might be a similar age as me.
            I was 23 years old when I saw my team play in it's first playoff game. (That glorious win over Philly)

Many of us went our entire childhood without a playoff team. It's hard to describe what it felt like to see OUR team going to the SB instead of everyone else's.
            It's not Eli's fault....It's the chemtrails!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post
              single greatest Giant memory for me

I was in the stadium with my old man ... first and only time I saw the old man cry

two things stand out about that day

when everyone in the stands found out that Denver had beat Cleveland the place went bananas ...Cleveland was the better team

and when there were minutes left in the game while we were all hugging complete strangers and celebrating I remember looking at my pops who was sitting in his seat weeping ... I reached down and he reached back up and gave me a firm bro shake and we just nodded in approval to each other ... I went back to celebrating while dad sat in silence soaking it all in
              Great story YA.

Comment

The Plaxico catch was pretty awesome. Nothing compares to those days in the 80's because I was such a long suffering fan. I spent my entire childhood with my football team being a laughing stock.
                Me too.

Most kids in my neighborhood growing up just picked the successful teams of that time to root for like Dallas and Oakland. My father and brother were Giants fans and I started rooting in ‘64. 17 yrs later they made the playoffs. Not easy.

I was real real happy for Simms because the fans and the press put him thru the ringer early on. I’m glad he got vindicated.
                Last edited by Roswell; 01-11-2018, 06:15 PM.

Comment

great day, great game, great feeling!

Comment

I remember it well . My father was speechless taking in the moment. Thanks for to thread MH.
                    Never go to battle with the intellectually unarmed.

Comment

You sound like you might be a similar age as me.
                      I was 23 years old when I saw my team play in it's first playoff game. (That glorious win over Philly)

Many of us went our entire childhood without a playoff team. It's hard to describe what it felt like to see OUR team going to the SB instead of everyone else's.
                      a tad younger, but not by much, was a senior in college for the first Superbowl win over the Broncos.

Comment

Originally posted by Roswell View Post

Me too.

Most kids in my neighborhood growing just picked the successful teams of that time to root for like Dallas and Oakland. My father and brother were Giants fans and I started rooting in ‘64. 17 yrs later they made the playoffs. Not easy.

I was real real happy for Simms because the fans and the press put him thru the ringer early on. I’m glad he got vindicated.
                        I started watching as a kid in 1970. It was just understood that we all met in the neighborhood as soon as the 1pm games finished, for a quick tackle football game. We all had those lame "not for contact" JC Penny helmets. I had the only ny on my helmet--most of the kids had "winners", some had Browns and Bills.
                        I think all the trials and tribulations Simms went through before that dominant SB performance made it that much sweeter. He was as skinny as a bean pole when he came in. He got hammered--and injured a lot. Young Giants fans should find pics of him his first season, and then later on when he bulked up to better withstand the beating that a true "stand in" the pocket QB had to endure then.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

MS Thanks for posting that. My DAD was alive then and we both were going crazy. I miss the ole man. He didn't make the '07 SB which was amazing too!
                          Giant fans have a lot to be thankful for.
                          Great vid for sure!! Enjoyed 86, 90 and part of 07 run with him. He was alive for the TB, Dallas games but passed on the 19th of January just before the NFCCG @ GB. I still to this day feel he provided Devine intervention especially on the kick that sent us to the SB. How the ball started way right and cane back in. One of the guys on here did a graphic of Giant's stadium with winning kick and Strahan his favorite player stepping be into stadium and on the scoreboard he had my dad's name and RIP as well as Giant's greatest fan!!!! It was amazing
                          Football has been very, very good to us.
                          After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
                          But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
                          2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
                          3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
                          4-New York Giants!!!
                          5-NE
                          Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

https://youtu.be/lFHFI_FUADA
                            Players come and go on the Free Agency Merry-Go-Round, but the N.Y. Giants will always be here!

Comment

Possibly the most glorious day in my life as a Giants fans. After 2 decades of torment.................

https://www.facebook.com/newyorkgian...0301zg&fref=nf
                              We will get there again
                              “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Originally posted by miked1958 View Post

Great vid for sure!! Enjoyed 86, 90 and part of 07 run with him. He was alive for the TB, Dallas games but passed on the 19th of January just before the NFCCG @ GB. I still to this day feel he provided Devine intervention especially on the kick that sent us to the SB. How the ball started way right and cane back in. One of the guys on here did a graphic of Giant's stadium with winning kick and Strahan his favorite player stepping be into stadium and on the scoreboard he had my dad's name and RIP as well as Giant's greatest fan!!!! It was amazing
                                Great memories!! Now we need more!! Haha (greedy Giants fan)
                                sigpic

LT - Carson - Kelley - Van Pelt

Comment

Working...
                                X