Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anatomy of a Play: Pugh's fundamentals help his versatility

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs...a-4e1cac14eb3c

Excerpt: "Giants.com's John Schmeelk takes a X's and O's look at OL Justin Pugh
    Justin Pugh had an up and down year for the Giants having to move from guard to tackle, and then being hampered by a back injury that put him on injured reserve to end his season early. He was supposed to start his season at guard, where he has gotten most of his playing time.
    In Week 1 against Dallas, here is a look at his good fundamentals.

The Formation
    The Giants are in 11 personnel with Rhett Ellison in the backfield as a fullback in front of Orleans Darkwa. The Cowboys are in nickel with a four-man front and Sean Lee and Jaylon Smith at linebacker. Stephen Paea is lined up as a one technique between Pugh and center Weston Richburg.

The Snap
    It is a power run designed to go right behind Pugh with Ellison leading the way. Pugh starts the play by double teaming Paea with Richburg. Flowers has sealed Benson Mayowa to the outside and the hole looks huge.

The Second Level
    Pugh releases from Paea, whom Richburg pushes out of the hole, allowing Darkwa to cut back towards the middle to the right. Pugh has engaged Jaylon Smith on the second level, while Ellison is about to block Sean Lee. The hole is huge to Pugh’s right.

The Hole
    Darkwa finds the hole, and Pugh does a good job of sustaining his block long enough for the run to gain extra yardage.

[img]
    http://www.giants.com/assets/images/imported/NYG/5-11218.jpg[/img]

The Tackle
    Smith eventually disengages from Pugh and tackles Darkwa from behind, but not until after he gains another seven yards."

Last edited by RoanokeFan; 01-12-2018, 07:50 PM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Justin Pugh is a good player.

but he misses too much time with injury. Much like Anukamura, he simply won’t be worth the contract because he will spend half of it out

Comment

Originally posted by TE88 View Post
      Justin Pugh is a good player.

but he misses too much time with injury. Much like Anukamura, he simply won’t be worth the contract because he will spend half of it out
      The guy needs to go and find a fan base who prefers chatter to on field production.
      No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

Originally posted by jomo View Post

The guy needs to go and find a fan base who prefers chatter to on field production.
        I was thinking he can go back home, he’s an Eagles fan and that fan base prefers a stint in levingworth over wins on Sundays.

Comment

Originally posted by primetime View Post

I was thinking he can go back home, he’s an Eagles fan and that fan base prefers a stint in levingworth over wins on Sundays.
          That would be a perfect place for him. Addition by subtraction for us and subtraction by addition for the iggles. It would help us two ways.

He is not a bad player but God almighty, he talks way too much for an ordinary player.........oh, and he's hurt a lot.
          Not my kind of guy in the trenches.

Comment

That would be a perfect place for him. Addition by subtraction for us and subtraction by addition for the iggles. It would help us two ways.

He is not a bad player but God almighty, he talks way too much for an ordinary player.........oh, and he's hurt a lot.
            Exactly. I want 5 Chris Snees on the line. Lunch pal type of players, they go to work zip their mouth and kick *** on the field. No nonsense, just doing their jobs.

Comment

"Versatility" is another one of those smoke screen labels used by our former GM.
              Who can argue with "versatile?"
              Who can argue with "tall receiver?"
              Who can argue with "freakish athleticism?"
              The problem is that they are simply labels and don't define a died in the wool football player.
              Once you find the guys who have the heart and tenacity to play in the NFL, then and only then do the labels come into play as positives.

Comment

He's gonna get paid...just hope it's not the Giants that write the checks.
                "I hire my brains"...Horace Trumbauer

Comment

I am not a Pugh fan. Especially, for what he will be seeking financially. Rather, spend the money on Nate Solder or someone equivalent.

Comment

That play worked because the linebackers were fooled by the play action.
                    Pugh is part of the problem not part of the solution.

Comment

He annoys me too but that’s a minor issue. He is a good player .

the major issues are:

-Recurring back issues
                      -Now going into year 6 of his NFL career
                      -Has started 16 games in a season ONCE (rookie year)
                      -His health is getting worse rapidly: missed 5 games in 2016 and 8 games in 2017.

I would say say we had him for his best years. If it was possible to get him for a reasonable contract the. I would be all-for bringing him back. But he will likely get paid as if he is a top starting NFL guard....he is a part time player at this point and can’t stay on the field

Comment

not as bad as Schwartz but gosh he does talk a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by NYSPORTS View Post

not as bad as Schwartz but gosh he does talk a lot.
                          A radio talk host doesn’t talk as much as Schwartz.
                          He could have a 20 minute conversation about the color blue.

Comment

I think they could get Hubbard and Norwell for around the same price as Pugh...this would be much better since it will cover LG and RT....draft another another guard or two and another OT and we should have a way better line

Comment

Pugh was a good player when he was on the field, but missed way too many games every year, and now a back issue, just won't be worth the contract he'll demand on the open market.

Comment

Working...
                              X