No announcement yet.

Anatomy of a Play: Pugh's fundamentals help his versatility

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

His injury history and price he probably will command negate his versatility imo

can't trust this guy staying on the field at this point and his back will continue to be an issue as his career progresses

Comment

Im a big Pugh fan, unfortuantley i dont see him returning.

hes gonna ask for a ton of money a d someone will pay it, just not us. I could see Gettleman going after his boy Andrew Norwell from Carolina, who will be much less
      Come check the G-Fambulance and The Scarf Soldiers every home game in Lot L6, and like us on facebook and instagam 'NYG Scarf Soldiers'

Comment

Originally posted by jomo View Post
        "Versatility" is another one of those smoke screen labels used by our former GM.
        Who can argue with "versatile?"
        Who can argue with "tall receiver?"
        Who can argue with "freakish athleticism?"
        The problem is that they are simply labels and don't define a died in the wool football player.
        Once you find the guys who have the heart and tenacity to play in the NFL, then and only then do the labels come into play as positives.
        Nice thread Jomo. Though his versatility did seem to fill holes for us to get thru some situations. And usually strengthened whatever position we put him at.

I might think of franchising him for a year while were rebuilding this OL, though I was told it would cost us about 15 mil. That's too much, we'd have to let him walk. I feel he's too injury prone to be tied up for a long term contract.

Comment

Originally posted by That Guy Rich View Post

Nice thread Jomo. Though his versatility did seem to fill holes for us to get thru some situations. And usually strengthened whatever position we put him at.

I might think of franchising him for a year while were rebuilding this OL, though I was told it would cost us about 15 mil. That's too much, we'd have to let him walk. I feel he's too injury prone to be tied up for a long term contract.
          I wouldn't rule anything out in the off season. Franchising him might fit into a bigger plan. I also wound never talk down to versatility. It is just not the place to start. Versatility is not a primary objective, it is a nice to have and "all things being equal" consideration.

My main practical concern is Pugh being more prone to injury than I would like.

My main emotional gripe is his running of the mouth.
          When all is said and done, more is said than done.
          I prefer the strong silent type who show up and just play.
          Just me.
          No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

I don't see Gettleman paying him big money to stay but they will try to keep him for the right price. If not he will move on and find something just as good for a better price. I do think Andrew Norwell is a better Left Guard than Pugh and he would probably be a little cheaper

But Pugh is not a Guard!

Comment

Unbeknownst to Giants fans Pugh will get paid because unlike fans league talent evaluators like guys that are talented and can play LG extremely well and line up and block a guy like Von Miller for a game while taking minimal snaps at RT. Itís kind of valuable.

Comment

"Versatility" is another one of those smoke screen labels used by our former GM.
                Who can argue with "versatile?"
                Who can argue with "tall receiver?"
                Who can argue with "freakish athleticism?"
                The problem is that they are simply labels and don't define a died in the wool football player.
                Once you find the guys who have the heart and tenacity to play in the NFL, then and only then do the labels come into play as positives.
                So let me get this right. Versatility to you is not important?

especially when thereís maybe 10 RTs in the league that can play that position better than Pugh?

you donít like individuals that are willing to move positions and play them with ease but are fond of lineman in the past that are horrible at OT and OG. All the while complaining about a lack of talent on the field. Thatís just strange.

let me guess, youíre a Matt Kalil fan? Should the Giants sign someone with his skill to play LT?

i see a trend here and Iím not sure you know what youíre looking at when watching tape
                Last edited by CGYgiant; 01-13-2018, 01:32 PM.

Comment

It is hilarious how fans on here turn on players when they are about to hit the open market. It even happened to Linval Joseph, who all of a sudden was mediocre at best and was not that good. Look at him now. He is one of the best DTs in the NFL and might just play in the Super Bowl this year. Meanwhile, our team is 3-13 and blows. Anyways, I think that Pugh is in between average and good overall. He will get offered a lot of money just for being that. He most likely won't get it here though. If he leaves, I wish him all the best.
                  Last edited by SG88; 01-13-2018, 02:59 PM.
                  If you respect others, they will respect you.

Comment

Originally posted by SG88 View Post
                    It is hilarious how fans on here turn on players when they are about to hit the open market. It even happened to Linval Joseph, who all of a sudden was mediocre at best and was not that good. Look at him now. He is one of the best DTs in the NFL and might just play in the Super Bowl this year. Meanwhile, our team is 3-13 and blows. Anyways, I think that Pugh is in between average and good overall. He will get offered a lot of money just for being that. He most likely won't get it here though. If he leaves, I wish him all the best.
                    +1. I hope we can come to a reasonable deal with him. You cant improve your OL by getting rid of all the good players on it.

I particularly enjoy those that want him to go to the Egals. That just where I want our good players to end up.

Comment

Originally posted by CGYgiant View Post

So let me get this right. Versatility to you is not important?
                      Actually, versatility is important, can be VERY important with the right roster. You obviously didn't read my post past the first few words.
                      I even said in the second sentence. "Who can argue with versatile?"

My post wasn't even about versatility, really even though I used that word to make a much broader point..
                      For your final exam, go back and re-read it. You will receive an A if you can feedback correctly the point that the author (me) was trying to make.

Big hint for you. it was NOT that versatility is unimportant.
                      Last edited by jomo; 01-13-2018, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Actually, versatility is important, can be VERY important with the right roster. You obviously didn't read my post past the first few words.
                        I even said in the second sentence. "Who can argue with versatile?"

My post wasn't even about versatility, really even though I used that word to make a much broader point..
                        For your final exam, go back and re-read it. You will receive an A if you can feedback correctly the point that the author (me) was trying to make.

Big hint for you. it was NOT that versatility is unimportant.
                        Yeah.

Pugh will get paid regardless of what you have think, not that I can relate to most of what it is you think. Gettlemen paid 55M to Matt Kalil for god sakes I wonder what Pugh is worth

Comment

Most people who have beef with Pugh isnít because they think he sucks. The dude just canít stay on the field and doesnít warrant a huge contract with the state of this team.

Comment

Originally posted by CGYgiant View Post

Yeah.

Pugh will get paid regardless of what you have think, not that I can relate to most of what it is you think. Gettlemen paid 55M to Matt Kalil for god sakes I wonder what Pugh is worth
                            You still haven't read my post have you? And now you introduce Pugh as someone I also didn't mention.
                            Do you read anything start to finish or do you just make up a premise that you respond to?
                            The A grade is still available to you if you read my post and correctly identify the point I was trying to make.
                            That is the final offer. If you don't correctly respond, I'll have to give you and incomplete for the semester.
                            You deserve an F but in the spirit of the New Year, I will let you slide.

So, will you make us another false premise or will you read my post?

Comment

Originally posted by EliDaMANning View Post
                              Most people who have beef with Pugh isnít because they think he sucks. The dude just canít stay on the field and doesnít warrant a huge contract with the state of this team.
                              Thatís all there is to it. He missed 13 games over the last two seasons. And these were not knee blowouts. He is going into year 6. He isnít going to get healthier.

I would be willing to bet that Pugh will miss AT LEAST 4 games next season. Is a top contract worth it for 75% of a good OLman? I donít think so.

Comment

Originally posted by TE88 View Post

Thatís all there is to it. He missed 13 games over the last two seasons. And these were not knee blowouts. He is going into year 6. He isnít going to get healthier.

I would be willing to bet that Pugh will miss AT LEAST 4 games next season. Is a top contract worth it for 75% of a good OLman? I donít think so.
                                Elementary......and I agree in total.

Comment

Working...
                                X