No announcement yet.

TIME TO BALANCE THE OFFENSE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correlation does not equal causation guys. There is another famous stat that when you have a 100 yard rusher you are more likely to win than when you have a 300 yard passer. There is a simple reason. Same with most of these playoff teams having high rushing yards. When you are winning games you run the ball more to kill the clock. When you are behind you pass the ball more. I'm not saying running isn't important, because it is, but those stats are skewed.

To prove this you can take a look at the yards per attempt category. Now we will see who is actually good at running the ball vs who has a lot of yards because they have a lead and are running the clock out. Saints, Chiefs, Eagles, Cowboys, Packers are the top 5. Decent list. Followed by Browns, Rams, Jags, Panthers and Falcons. Again a decent list, aside from Browns. The final four teams are now ranked Jags (8), Pats (11), Eagles (3) and Vikings (22). Still seems to be a pretty important stat, without being too skewed.

The final four teams are ranked in the top ten in:
    Offense:
    Rushing 1st downs
    Total 1st downs
    Offensive Plays
    Points for
    1st Down by Penalties

Defense:
    Points against (all in the top 5)
    Scoring % (with three in the top 3)

Some of these result from having a lead and trying to kill the clock (rushing 1st downs, total 1st downs and offensive plays). But scoring points is obviously important and getting 1st downs by penalties from the defense really helps too. Stopping the other team from scoring also extremely important and keeping them to a low scoring %.

At the end of the day we need to stop the other team from scoring and score points. Running the ball will be great. After all it is easier to kill the clock and hold a lead if you can actually run the ball.
    LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
    "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

You have to control time of possession. How Many times do teams need to march down the field on us with one minute left
      Long Live the King

Comment

Originally posted by BIG_Blue_87 View Post
        Running the ball and playing defense have been winning championships since 1955.

Yet every year when it happens we all act shocked and like it is new info.

The fans, media etc.
        ​​​​​​
        +100

Comment

Originally posted by Bronxpinstripes View Post

That's what folks do here. Make a common-sense comment like, "You're more likely to find a franchise quarterback in the first few picks of the draft than the last few" and you'll get the same tired response about this guy or that not having been drafted in the first few picks.

I honestly believe that if I made a statement like, "You're not likely to win the Powerball" I'd get a list of the relatively few that have.
          LOL This is funny cause it's true. But it's still funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Gee718 View Post

Casey Keenum - One Hit Wonder?

Keenum showed me some really good skills, particularly that he has really nice quick feet in the pocket, and he throws a nice accurate ball, even off-balance. If Shurmer could come with Keenum, I would drop Eli and his cap hit, and take Barkley in the draft, and then start to clean up the O-line.

Comment

Originally posted by yo-ho View Post

Keenum showed me some really good skills, particularly that he has really nice quick feet in the pocket, and he throws a nice accurate ball, even off-balance. If Shurmer could come with Keenum, I would drop Eli and his cap hit, and take Barkley in the draft, and then start to clean up the O-line.
              The story of Case Keenum's career has been flashes of greatness followed by long periods of mediocrity. It's why he was - at least, technically - the 3rd-string quarterback going into this season. Don't you think that he would be a long-time NFL starter if he played like this consistently?

Case Keenum to the Giants? No thanks. I'll stick with Eli until the #2 pick is ready to take over.

Comment

Originally posted by Gee718 View Post
                We built a pass first offense...and paid the price
                shurmer runs another version of the WCO i think.... sigh......... unlike macadoodle though, he is said to be adaptable to his players strengths...so we shall see what happens if he does in fact become the new HC

Comment

Working...
                X