Tom Coughlins Giants and why they beat Belichick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Coughlins Giants and why they beat Belichick

Interesting little comments in this article. A little bit of Xs and Os about Big blue from 10 years and 6 years ago:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...hick-explained

i find the comments about Spagnuolo particularly telling

Great article.....this may tell us a bit about why the defense fell off this year initially- before the injuries and suspensions and insubordinance set in. and completed decimated it. This defense was not the same from day 1 and there were a lot of blown coverages and assignments in those early games.....

Comment

Lol, I meant to repost this in my previous post....

When Steve Spagnuolo was the Giants' defensive coordinator in 2007 and '08, he'd always want to do these elaborate defenses, and Coughlin immediately shut those down.

Comment

I agree about the comment about Spagnuolo. Unfortunately with Shurmur looking like the next HC I believe Spags will stay as DC

Comment

Originally posted by jwhorner6 View Post
          I agree about the comment about Spagnuolo. Unfortunately with Shurmur looking like the next HC I believe Spags will stay as DC
          Then it will be up to Shurmur to get Spags to put a different spin on his system. The HC is the boss. We don’t need another one who totally defers his responsibility on one side of the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhorner6 View Post
            Yes I am afraid this is going to happen. I don't want to start another discussion on if Spags is any good or not, but I will say one thing- He was the DC on a team that had to suspend 3 different players in a season. He also finished as DC of one of the worst 2-3 defenses in the league. Maybe he is not completely at fault for either of these things- but he had a hand in each. I really hope he is not back this season....

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeGiant View Post
              Lol, I meant to repost this in my previous post....

When Steve Spagnuolo was the Giants' defensive coordinator in 2007 and '08, he'd always want to do these elaborate defenses, and Coughlin immediately shut those down.
              He definitely need to get back to the DL rotation he was doing back then.

Comment

Carrs remarks about spags are nonesense. The Nascar package was exotic and spags. Dropping osi or tuck occasionally in zone coverage is exotic. Showing a 7 man blitz then dropping into a 8 man zone is exotic. Not to mention his exotic blitzes.

The defense did exotic things and spags was the man that set it up. Carr is the only player to ever say anything so ridiculous. Every word at the time was that spags was in big control of the defense.

You guys wouldn't have celebrated the greatest championship in nfl history without spags. It's that damn simple. Show the man some respect and appreciation.

Macadoo lost this team which resulted in the CB fiasco. And please , tell me how the players responded when spags was named interim HC? They played with more passion and integrity then they did all season.

Stop using spags as the scapegoat. Haven't we learned that lesson? Coughlin, spags and Eli are the reason for our success and you people **** on all 3 of them. It's pathetic and short sighted.

Comment

[QUOTE=AGiantDynasty;n3061815]Carrs remarks about spags are nonesense. The Nascar package was exotic and spags. Dropping osi or tuck occasionally in zone coverage is exotic. Showing a 7 man blitz then dropping into a 8 man zone is exotic. Not to mention his exotic blitzes.

The defense did exotic things and spags was the man that set it up. Carr is the only player to ever say anything so ridiculous. Every word at the time was that spags was in big control of the defense.

You guys wouldn't have celebrated the greatest championship in nfl history without spags. It's that damn simple. Show the man some respect and appreciation.

Macadoo lost this team which resulted in the CB fiasco. And please , tell me how the players responded when spags was named interim HC? They played with more passion and integrity then they did all season.

Stop using spags as the scapegoat. Haven't we learned that lesson? Coughlin, spags and Eli are the reason for our success and you people **** on all 3 of

Without Strahan, Osi and Tuck in their prime, and the depth that Accorsi afforded him, Spagnuolo is garbage!
                  Trent Dilfer is a SB winning QB .... it doesn’t change the fact that he sucked.

"I'M ALL FOR IT!"

John McKay, HC of the 1976 winless TB Buccaneers, when asked by a reporter, how McKay felt, about the execution of his offense.

Comment

Originally posted by AGiantDynasty View Post
                    Carrs remarks about spags are nonesense. The Nascar package was exotic and spags. Dropping osi or tuck occasionally in zone coverage is exotic. Showing a 7 man blitz then dropping into a 8 man zone is exotic. Not to mention his exotic blitzes.

Stop using spags as the scapegoat. Haven't we learned that lesson? Coughlin, spags and Eli are the reason for our success and you people **** on all 3 of them. It's pathetic and short sighted.

Ugh, please...nobody is using Spags as a scapegoat.....I just would rather he move on......not getting into the Spags debate and his one great season with 3 of the best pass rushers that ever wore a Giants uniform.....

Comment

[QUOTE=bigblue58;n3061819]

Stop using spags as the scapegoat. Haven't we learned that lesson? Coughlin, spags and Eli are the reason for our success and you people **** on all 3 of

Without Strahan, Osi and Tuck in their prime, and the depth that Accorsi afforded him, Spagnuolo is garbage!
                      Trent Dilfer is a SB winning QB .... it doesn’t change the fact that he sucked.

Uh huh. Keep telling yourself whatever you need. Fact is, spags was the DC during the greatest defensive stand in
                      Superbowl history against the best offense to ever play. Every coach needs good players, you would know that if you had any experience with the game.

Was accorsi calling the plays? Was Strahan telling the team to change the play based on Brady's pre snap reads and calls? No they werent. That was all spags.

Every single player on the teams defense stands up for spags being a main reason for the victory. But I guess you know more then the players right?

Brady and bill even gave the defensive gameplan huge credit for that game.

You people are either blind or clueless. Spags created the Nascar defense in specific reason to go after the Patriots. He literally created the defensive adjustment that was heralded for the reason their offense couldn't get going.

Trent Diller has zero to do with this discusson. His offense had ZERO to do with the Ravens success. The giants won both championships vs the Patriots with defense and a balanced offense. Not a 1 sided team that sucked on offense.

Comment

None of that has anything to do with the complexity of the defensive system.

TC had a huge influence on what Spags ran. Period

Comment

Personally, I think Spags and the rest of last years staff should go. If Shurmur does indeed get the HC job and hires Spags as DC, I can actually live with it. if Tom Quinn is retained as STs, I'll have a conniption!!

Comment

“Preparation and attention to detail”

That’s Tom Coughlin to me.

Comment

[QUOTE=AGiantDynasty;n3061833]
                              Originally posted by bigblue58 View Post

Uh huh. Keep telling yourself whatever you need. Fact is, spags was the DC during the greatest defensive stand in
                              Superbowl history against the best offense to ever play. Every coach needs good players, you would know that if you had any experience with the game.

Was accorsi calling the plays? Was Strahan telling the team to change the play based on Brady's pre snap reads and calls? No they werent. That was all spags.

Every single player on the teams defense stands up for spags being a main reason for the victory. But I guess you know more then the players right?

Brady and bill even gave the defensive gameplan huge credit for that game.

You people are either blind or clueless. Spags created the Nascar defense in specific reason to go after the Patriots. He literally created the defensive adjustment that was heralded for the reason their offense couldn't get going.

Trent Diller has zero to do with this discusson. His offense had ZERO to do with the Ravens success. The giants won both championships vs the Patriots with defense and a balanced offense. Not a 1 sided team that sucked on offense.

GREAT post

Comment

Working...
                              X