Defense

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defense

I feel as we get closer to draft, fans will only focus on the obvious and glaring issues of this team which is the O-Line. But we shouldn't forget that our defense weren't world beaters of any kind this past season. Now I don't have any stats to back any of this stuff but I think most fans will tend to agree in regards to the defense. A lot of the dominant defenses in the post season, especially Philadelphia, attribute their successes to having a deep rotation on the D-Line. I remember listening somewhere that the Giants play JPP and OV about 90+% of the snaps, whereas, Fletcher Cox and other D-Linemen on the Eagles were utilized about 60% of the snaps. We desperately need some depth on the D-Line.

We had almost little to no pass rush this year. Most times the opposing QB was able to stand in the pocket comfortably and deliver a pass. This could be a mix of things like tired and overused DEs and a general lack of talent on pass rushing depth. I'm not saying JPP and OV will instantly be much better once this is addressed but I do feel they will be more effective if we can relieve them with decent depth. Our defense a year ago was pretty good and a large part of it was due to the secondary but I feel the D-Line pulled its weight as well. If we're able to draft good pass rushing D-Lineman and/or sign some good FAs we should be able to return to that defensive dominance.
    “Fall down seven times, get up eight.”

Completely agree ... this team has a lot of needs ....

Comment

The giants have so much invested into the dline. Jpp and Vernon contacts are like top 10 in salary and snacks top 30. Not to mention how 2nd round many draft picks they have used on dt.
      [SIGPIC]

Comment

I'm DRIVING the Bradley Chubb bandwagon lol. Great things happen when we have Depth at Defensive End and the defense is able to get to the QB consistently

Great Defense is what got the Eagles to the Dance with their BACK UP QB and BACK UP Left Tackle.

Eagles are just LOADED up front and Jim Schwartz Rotated them beautifully: Vinny Curry, Brandon Graham, Fletcher Cox, Chris Long, Derek Barnett and others and they all have great motors and can fly around. The Depth and Rotation keeps them all Fresh. I would love to have something like that next season absolutely!
        Last edited by Sicko; 01-23-2018, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Too many holes to plug in 1 offseason

Comment

offense will be better next year than the defense.

Comment

We need about 2 full offseasons to get back to where we need to be talent wise. Getting our offense back on track will also help this defense. People can say what they want but when your offense goes 3 and out as much as we did it is very difficult to maintain a top quality defense.

We couldn't do any thing right on offense which puts far to much pressure on defense.

Fix the trenches, especially offensively, but on both sides of the ball. Do that and literally every other facet of the game gets easier to fix.

Enough talk of superstar WRs and RBs. This game has always been built on foundational football. Not fantasy football numbers.

Comment

McAdoo was why our offense sucked, not the players. Defenses told our guys they knew what we were going to do before we did. Good riddence.

Comment

Depth is one key ingredient for post season success.
                  There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season.

Comment

Unless we trade out of the 2nd pick there isn't going to be enough top picks to get these D players. The first 2 top picks are going offense. Cap money tight for getting FA's. I think big emphasis on offense.

Comment

If the offense takes their share of the time on the field, the defense will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by AK_91207 View Post
                        Too many holes to plug in 1 offseason
                        QB: no talk of change in this position..........
                        RB: ask a anyone whose not a Giants fan to name our starter
                        WR: we have a great one and an ok one, but the great one is always a hit away from playing pay-back instead of football
                        TE: surprisingly probably our strongest position on the entire team
                        OL: yeah......
                        LB: see above
                        DL: lotta money invested for pretty crappy return
                        CB: used to think this was a strength, plenty of questions now
                        S: maybe our best days are behind us at this one
                        ST: meh

That is why i want a player that is as close to a sure thing as we can find. We have holes everywhere.
                        sigpic

Comment

Shepard is more than an 'ok one'.

Comment

[QUOTE=rtahsin;n3066953]I feel as we get closer to draft, fans will only focus on the obvious and glaring issues of this team which is the O-Line.

Candidly, I could care less what us fans focus on. I only care what the team does in the off season.

Some of this is dollars and sense. They defense has 5 starters that probably are untouchable due to their play or contract (JPP Vernon, Snacks, Collins and Jack Rabbit). All of these guys have (or will be getting) big contracts. So, there's not much they can do...So, I would not expect that much change on the defense except for some depth moves. Maybe they can bring in one major free agent and some draft help. I think the prevailing opinion on the team will be that there's a base of very talented players with contracts that can't be touched. So, let's hope that they will be re-energized with a new attitude next year.

Comment

We need to get an above average Linebacker in here via FA or the draft immediately.

Nigel Bradham anyone?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X