Will we switch to a 3-4?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will we switch to a 3-4?

With the hiring of James Bettcher (Who? lol) as the DC it appears we could switch back to a 3-4 defense. It has been decades since we ran a 3-4 here but it is entirely possible. According to Dan Schneier (247sports) we are pretty well set if we were to transition.

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-york-g...need-114119096
    (Good article with lots of insight and info on Bettcher)

"The Giants need to revamp their linebacker corps anyway, and the majority of their 2017 starters are set to become free agents. Pierre-Paul can easily transition to the 5-technique defensive end position in the 3-4 base. Damon Harrison is a natural fit for the nose tackle position he used to play in the Jets' 3-4 scheme. Dalvin Tomlinson played in the 4-3 version of the 3-technique defensive tackle position in Steve Spagnuolo's 2017 defensive scheme, but he can easily transition to a 3-technique tackle position in Bettcher's scheme. Vernon could transition to outside linebacker, a position where some NFL analysts believe he is best fit for in the first place. B.J. Goodson can stick in the middle as one of two inside linebackers, Devon Kennard could transition to outside linebacker as he has already played both defensive end and outside linebacker in the Giants' 4-3 base scheme, and the secondary will be unphased by the schematic changes."

I kind of doubt we will transition but would love to see what that does to this team. Maybe we would even draft a LB before the 5th round. When Olivier Vernon was coming out of college it was thought that he would transition from small DE to an OLB in a 3-4. It's not like he is setting the world on fire at DE, while he is good I think OLB in a 3-4 could really put his strengths to better use. Snacks was a NT with the Jets and JPP could handle the 3-4 DE role. The other side is a question mark and we need to fix LB anyway.

Anyone think we will do the switch?
    LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
    "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Don't think that's possible now with the motley crew of LB's we have ... maybe down the road when we upgrade the talent at LB.

Good article, but since when is Bruce Arians a "legendary" NFL HC?
    Last edited by TCHOF; 01-24-2018, 11:30 AM.

Comment

I think its possible as you have Snacks as NT and JPP would be good at the DE. (his pass rush stinks anyhow) I don't know about O Vernon though. The LB's would have to be revamped FA / draft etc..
      sigpic

LT - Carson - Kelley - Van Pelt

Comment

The article says differently, but we would need a complete overhaul of the LB position to run the 3-4 full time.

I would not be opposed to some 3-4 looks using Vernon as a Joker though.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy_Ribs View Post
          The article says differently, but we would need a complete overhaul of the LB position to run the 3-4 full time.

I would not be opposed to some 3-4 looks using Vernon as a Joker though.
          I see this sooner than later with the new DC. I expect to see lots of 3 - 4 this coming year and I welcome real LB's again. Way over due. We have TE's and now moving towards LB Giants football !! A big Jerry Reese departure.
          sigpic

Comment

god I hope not. 3-4 = long year..

Comment

They are in better position to make such a transition now then they have been in the past.

Harrison can play NT, JPP at DE, Tomlinson as another DE.

Wynn is probably a better fit as a 5T DE.

Kennard played 3-4 OLB in college and that might be a better spot for his skill set, Vernon could play the other OLB spot, Goodson might actually be a better fit as a 3-4 ILB would doesn't have to cover as much space in the run game. Casillas has experience in the 3-4 during his time with the Pats though I think he gets cut this offseason.

So, theoretically, they'd only have 1 ILB spot they'd have to fill, though they would be sorely lacking in depth.

So yeah, they likely could make the switch if they want.
              All Hail The New York Giants!!

Comment

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post
                Don't think that's possible now with the motley crew of LB's we have ... maybe down the road when we upgrade the talent at LB.

Good article, but since when is Bruce Arians a "legendary" NFL HC?
                We have to fix the LB position anyway, but Vernon - Goodson - Kennard could be a decent starting point.

Vernon is the Joker obviously
                Goodson is the Mike ILB
                Kennard is the Sam OLB
                Robinson would make a decent (not great) Will ILB

Obviously we need to improve things, but that is true whether it's a 3-4 or a 4-3.
                "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

Originally posted by TrueBlue@NYC View Post
                  They are in better position to make such a transition now then they have been in the past.

Harrison can play NT, JPP at DE, Tomlinson as another DE.

Wynn is probably a better fit as a 5T DE.

Kennard played 3-4 OLB in college and that might be a better spot for his skill set, Vernon could play the other OLB spot, Goodson might actually be a better fit as a 3-4 ILB would doesn't have to cover as much space in the run game. Casillas has experience in the 3-4 during his time with the Pats though I think he gets cut this offseason.

So, theoretically, they'd only have 1 ILB spot they'd have to fill, though they would be sorely lacking in depth.

So yeah, they likely could make the switch if they want.
                  This.....well said my thoughts exactly......Kennard better suited for this type of D, Vernon to an OLB spot, Goodson to a ILB spot and make a move for another LB in the draft, trade or FA.....they'd need some depth across the board at LB too.

With all that being said they very well could stick with the 4-3.

Comment

Actually Roquan Smith would probably be a great Will (ILB) in a 3-4. If we trade down in the draft for more picks he would be an option, or some small chance of him falling to round 2 (not likely IMO). There are some options for the 4th LB spot in this draft.
                    "Next man up"

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                      I think its possible as you have Snacks as NT and JPP would be good at the DE. (his pass rush stinks anyhow) I don't know about O Vernon though. The LB's would have to be revamped FA / draft etc..
                      Wouldn't JPP be called on to make more tackles, as a DE in the 3-4? That's a lot more stress on that hand, and he seemed hampered by it this past season.

Comment

I wonder why the trolls donít start trouble in this thread
                        Long Live the King

Comment

Switching to a 3-4 is a meaningless statement.

people really need to get this 3-4 / 4-3 thing out of their heads.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmie ray View Post

Wouldn't JPP be called on to make more tackles, as a DE in the 3-4? That's a lot more stress on that hand, and he seemed hampered by it this past season.
                            The DE in a 3 - 4 has to hold his ground and the LB's clean it up. I think the way he plays now he uses his hands all the time so I'm not sure if its a negative for him. I will say he looks weaker with the hand issue. Eventually he is replaced.
                            sigpic

Comment

That is what he has had success with why wouldn't he incorporate that here? Use Olivier Vernon like he did Chandler Jones who lead the league in Sacks this past season. I'm all in for going back to a 3-4 probably for the last 5 Years honestly.

Comment

Working...
                              X