Gettleman: "With the 2nd pick, we're going to take the best player"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gettleman: "With the 2nd pick, we're going to take the best player"

“With the second pick, we’re going to take the best player,” he said. “They screamed at me in Carolina, ‘You’ve got to draft a tackle, you’ve got to draft a tackle.’ If the value’s not there when you pick, you’re going to make a mistake. You’ll make a mistake. We’re going to set ourselves up so that we can take the best player available. And if the best player available is a quarterback, then that’s what we’re going to do.”

Gettleman added: “If you take a guy just to take a guy, especially at the quarterback position, and he fails, you set yourself back five years. You set yourself back five years because there are teams that are in what I call quarterback hell. They’ve got quality defense, they’ve got a good special teams, and they’re going 7-9, 8-8, 9-7. And now if there is a legitimate guy, they’ve got to trade up and give away the farm to get the guy.”

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs...a-3c785e0f667c

Looks like Gettlman has been paying attention to my posts. Even quoted me on how long it takes to recover from a failed 1st round QB pick. Dave hit me up we can grab lunch some time and discuss some stuff.

Seriously though, this is some insight instead of guessing that goes on this time of year. It is the best strategy at #2.
    LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
    "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Who's better than you Irish...

now can we please draft Darnold or Rosen. Thank you.

Comment

we are a team stuck in QB hell..... huge contract , no trade clause-declining aging

Comment

Again. Darnold or Rosen. Problem solved

Comment

The best player at #2 is Barkley, and no one is even close. Unless the Browns draft him first.
          sigpic"Remain in what you are, the center of your life
          You made it to this point no one can tell you how..." Gojira-Vacuity

Comment

Smells like Gettleman will entertain trading down. " And now if there is a legitimate guy, they’ve got to trade up and give away the farm to get the guy.”

Comment

Originally posted by Down-lifer View Post
              The best player at #2 is Barkley, and no one is even close. Unless the Browns draft him first.
              Nelson is absolutely close and possibly the best player in the draft, but I don't see us taking a G at #2. I am 100% ok with Barkley being the pick. Same with Chubb or Fitzpatrick or Smith or Nelson. Just get an All Pro with this pick and I'll be happy, is that too much to ask?
              "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Irish.... I didn't see Darnold or Rosen in that list of yours...oh well just an oversight I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by futurewebb View Post
                    we are a team stuck in QB hell..... huge contract , no trade clause-declining aging
                    I seriously believe you are Davis Webb.
                    "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
                    "No...I didn't."
                    "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

His best player may not what some consider be their best player. "Best player" is all up to perspective.
                      "Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad." Darrell Royal

Comment

Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post
                        “With the second pick, we’re going to take the best player,” he said. “They screamed at me in Carolina, ‘You’ve got to draft a tackle, you’ve got to draft a tackle.’ If the value’s not there when you pick, you’re going to make a mistake. You’ll make a mistake. We’re going to set ourselves up so that we can take the best player available. And if the best player available is a quarterback, then that’s what we’re going to do.”

Gettleman added: “If you take a guy just to take a guy, especially at the quarterback position, and he fails, you set yourself back five years. You set yourself back five years because there are teams that are in what I call quarterback hell. They’ve got quality defense, they’ve got a good special teams, and they’re going 7-9, 8-8, 9-7. And now if there is a legitimate guy, they’ve got to trade up and give away the farm to get the guy.”

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs...a-3c785e0f667c

Looks like Gettlman has been paying attention to my posts. Even quoted me on how long it takes to recover from a failed 1st round QB pick. Dave hit me up we can grab lunch some time and discuss some stuff.

Seriously though, this is some insight instead of guessing that goes on this time of year. It is the best strategy at #2.
                        Pretty sure Marshon Lattimore was the best player available at #8 in the 2017 draft, even by pre draft rankings most had him as the best CB in the draft by a longshot. Mr Gettlemen - you took a RB.

Talk is cheap

Comment

Originally posted by StewieZ View Post
                          Irish.... I didn't see Darnold or Rosen in that list of yours...oh well just an oversight I guess.
                          Don't like the USC kid, but think he has the most potential of the two. I don't like Rosen at all, way too many injuries (multiple concussions, still not cleared to even play; shoulder surgery already) and some locker room "issues".

Originally posted by TEM View Post
                          His best player may not what some consider be their best player. "Best player" is all up to perspective.
                          I didn't have Odell Beckham (or Engram) on my list of best available so I will trust in the GM until proven otherwise.
                          "Next man up"

Comment

Originally posted by CGYgiant View Post

Pretty sure Marshon Lattimore was the best player available at #8 in the 2017 draft, even by pre draft rankings most had him as the best CB in the draft by a longshot. Mr Gettlemen - you took a RB.

Talk is cheap
                            According to who's perspective. Just because some thought he was does not mean everyone did.
                            "Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad." Darrell Royal

Comment

Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post
                              Don't like the USC kid, but think he has the most potential of the two. I don't like Rosen at all, way too many injuries (multiple concussions, still not cleared to even play; shoulder surgery already) and some locker room "issues".

I didn't have Odell Beckham (or Engram) on my list of best available so I will trust in the GM until proven otherwise.
                              It is all in the eye of the beholder.

Comment

Working...
                              X