Gettleman: "With the 2nd pick, we're going to take the best player"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CDN_G-FAN View Post

i don't agree with the Eli fanboy theory at all. i love Eli and i'm not against them picking a QB.

But Gettleman said it best. Pick the QB if you think he's the closest thing to a sure thing at that position in the draft.

He's made it clear he's not going to pick for need, which is the reason most fans want a QB. Eli's basically done, we need a QB, there's QBs projected at the top of the draft. Problem solved for most fans. But most 1st round QBs chosen end up as busts. He clearly gets that.

He knows whomever he picks at #2 HAS TO TURN OUT AS A GREAT STARTER. We can't look back and say "well, we needed a QB". We don't have that option with all the holes in this roster.

At least now if he picks a QB at #2 i know he thinks that's the BPA.

That's how you decide that pick. That should be the only consideration.
    I love the people who go "oh there's a chance that the QB might not be good." of course there is. that's life. what's your plan? never draft a QB because there's a chance he might suck? draft one in the 3rd or 4th round where there is a 1 in 20 chance he can develop into anything more than a backup? sign a journeyman and hope you get a good year out of him like the jets have been doing the past few years? good luck with that.

something like 75% of the QBs taken in the top 5 in the past 10 years are still the starting QB for their team. i'll gladly take those odds.

Comment

They're taking a QB. Any other noise out of the Giants before draft night is just them trying to get Cleveland to think that Barkley won't be there at 4 if they don't take him at 1.

Comment

Every sentence he said is to create the possibility of getting someone to trade up for Barkley ... I like it

Comment

Originally posted by TEM View Post

I would rather have the picks . We need O-line , LBs, a Corner. DE and we do not have a lot of cap space. It would be nice to trade down and unload a big contract with the deal.
          Using the number two pick in the draft just to dump cap would be the worst waste of the pick.

If they want to give jpp away to draft chubb I would be fine with that if chubb is a star pass rusher. But that would have nothing to do with trading down.

If they trade down it will be because a team offered a ransom that they could not refuse

Comment

Originally posted by Tito-Wooten View Post

I love the people who go "oh there's a chance that the QB might not be good." of course there is. that's life. what's your plan? never draft a QB because there's a chance he might suck? draft one in the 3rd or 4th round where there is a 1 in 20 chance he can develop into anything more than a backup? sign a journeyman and hope you get a good year out of him like the jets have been doing the past few years? good luck with that.

something like 75% of the QBs taken in the top 5 in the past 10 years are still the starting QB for their team. i'll gladly take those odds.
            the past 10 years doesn't make sense. Of course the guys chosen in 15, 16, 17 are still starting. Are they still starting 5 years after they're picked?

QBs picked in the top 5 from 02-14: 15 (that's 12 years)
            QBs still starting 5 years + that you'd realistically want as your QB: 7

that's under 50%, and that's including Alex Smith and Blake Bortles. Excluding those two (and alot of fans would) then the last 15 QBs chosen in the top 5 who have been in the league for at least 4 years, and we're back to that magic number of 30% who are still starting.

This isn't an argument to NOT pick a QB at #2. This is an argument to pick the BPA, if that's a QB, great. If its a QB because you need one, keep the 70% failure rate in mind.
            sigpic

Comment

“”” Using the number two pick in the draft just to dump cap would be the worst waste of the pick.

If they want to give jpp away to draft chubb I would be fine with that if chubb is a star pass rusher. But that would have nothing to do with trading down.

If they trade down it will be because a team offered a ransom that they could not refuse “””

personally i wouldnt mind only a high 2nd and 5th to trade down 4 spots... screw the value board.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post
                “With the second pick, we’re going to take the best player,” he said. “They screamed at me in Carolina, ‘You’ve got to draft a tackle, you’ve got to draft a tackle.’ If the value’s not there when you pick, you’re going to make a mistake. You’ll make a mistake. We’re going to set ourselves up so that we can take the best player available. And if the best player available is a quarterback, then that’s what we’re going to do.”

Gettleman added: “If you take a guy just to take a guy, especially at the quarterback position, and he fails, you set yourself back five years. You set yourself back five years because there are teams that are in what I call quarterback hell. They’ve got quality defense, they’ve got a good special teams, and they’re going 7-9, 8-8, 9-7. And now if there is a legitimate guy, they’ve got to trade up and give away the farm to get the guy.”

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs...a-3c785e0f667c

Looks like Gettlman has been paying attention to my posts. Even quoted me on how long it takes to recover from a failed 1st round QB pick. Dave hit me up we can grab lunch some time and discuss some stuff.

Seriously though, this is some insight instead of guessing that goes on this time of year. It is the best strategy at #2.
                While it's always nice to hear, this is GM talk. I rather read on the GM that goes, 'Nah, we are reaching for a QB in this draft no matter what!"

Comment

Originally posted by CGYgiant View Post

That is not what I think. Lattimore was/is better prospect, just about universally, than McCaffery. Most people rankings had it that way. big boards had it that way. You can go ahead and do your research. Let me know if im wrong.

last offseason DG gave Matt Kalil 55M then reached on McCaffery. Just facts

Now, you can say McCaffery was the highest player available on Getttlemens list and that is why I say I question his scouting skills.
                  ESPN had them rated equally.

Comment

Trade down, rebuild the line.

Comment

Originally posted by CGYgiant View Post

He’s still the fourth best RB in the draft.

He he also passed up someone who is now a top 3 player at his position. In a position of massive need for Carolina.

Thats cool, supplement those with what JR did well and compare Gettlmens record. What good first round pick did Gettlemen have? Besides why are you talking about JR? The OP is about Gettlemen taking he “best player available”. Every single one of his drafts his first round pick has been a failure in that regard.

he said the only WR in 2014 he’d take over Kelvin Benjamin was OBJ. Lol. Mike Evans Allen Robinson were ranked below Kelvin Benjamin

again, massive concerns about his scouting skills. Thank you for your input though
                      Going in CM was ahead of Kamara on almost every draft board and we don’t know if he was on Gettleman’s board.

Why are you taking a GM’s words about his own player? Of course he is going to talk his guy up.

I just hope he doesn’t take that midgetfied with the 2nd because here some non professionals couch scouts that have him as the top player in the draft.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkSaint View Post

Going in CM was ahead of Kamara on almost every draft board and we don’t know if he was on Gettleman’s board.

Why are you taking a GM’s words about his own player? Of course he is going to talk his guy up.

I just hope he doesn’t take that midgetfied with the 2nd because here some non professionals couch scouts that have him as the top player in the draft.
                        “Talk his guy up” you mean talk up the miss? You know he’s not in Carolina right.

I’m not sure who midgetfied is

Comment

The best player in this draft is Barkley. He's a generational talent. Davis from Bama is also a ridiculous talent, but I don't see him going until the mid 1st.

Darnold is the only QB I'd consider drafting at #2, at this time. I'm still not understanding the obsession with Allen, and Rosen already has concussion issues.

It's either Barkley, Darnold, or trade down in my opinion.
                          NFL Draft (Realistic Hope):

Rd 1
                          Garrett Bolles - OT
                          David Njoku - TE
                          Zach Cunningham - OLB

Comment

I'll also add Chubb to that list. I can see us grabbing a DE as well.
                            NFL Draft (Realistic Hope):

Rd 1
                            Garrett Bolles - OT
                            David Njoku - TE
                            Zach Cunningham - OLB

Comment

Folks, please remember that this time of year especially, you cannot believe a single word that comes out of the mouth of any GM. They are all Jockeying for whatever leverage they can get with Players, Agents, and other teams.

Dave could be playing Poker letting Cleveland know that they will take a guy like Saquon Barkley at number two if he is there. The Browns may be thinking, hey we will get QB at 1 and Barkley at 4. If they think the GIANTS will take Barkley at numbe 2, maybe we swap 2 for 4 and grab some extra picks.

In my opinion, we are grabbing a QB. Hopefully it is either Darnold, Allen or Mayfield.

Comment

Originally posted by Piddy283 View Post
                                I'll also add Chubb to that list. I can see us grabbing a DE as well.
                                I think his buddy's Sony Michelle will end up being the better player. They will both be good though.

Michelle has great speed and can be a receiving threat as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X