Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giants bring in familiar mentor from Odell Beckham’s past

https://nypost.com/2018/01/26/giants...beckhams-past/

Excerpt: "As Pat Shumur assembles his new Giants coaching staff, he has reached into the past of his star receiver. The new wide receivers coach is Tyke Tolbert, filling a job description he held with the Cardinals, Bills, Panthers and the past six years with the Broncos.

Tolbert, 50, is a former receiver at LSU, where he was a teammate of Odell Beckham Sr. — the father of the Giants’ Odell Beckham Jr.

“I played college ball with Odell’s dad at LSU, and I went to school with his mom, Heather, at LSU,” Tolbert told the Courier of Montgomery Country in Conroe, Texas, this week. “I told Odell when he was born, I held him as a baby outside of our dorm at LSU.”

Tolbert figures to have an immediate relationship with his prize pupil.

“I’m extremely excited about it,” Tolbert said. “I’ve been coaching in the NFL for 15 years, and all the people that I’ve met that have worked for the New York Giants have always told me, ‘If you ever have the chance to work for the New York Giants, go do it. It’s a top-flight, top-class organization, and you and your family would love it there.’ That’s why when the opportunity came up for me there, I jumped at it.”

Shurmur will include at least one holdover from Ben McAdoo’s staff, as Bill McGovern will remain as the Giants linebackers coach.

Shurmur and McGovern worked together not long ago with the Eagles, so there is a previous connection. Shurmur is also adding Lou Anarumo as his defensive backs coach and Gary Emanuel as his defensive staff, The Post confirmed." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

I like it.

He seems like he could get through to Odell.
    "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
    "No...I didn't."
    "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

Odell....
      keep the fie and the passion. Lose the immaturity and bull****
      "it won't matter who we pick at #2 because whoever it is we need him..."

​​​​​​ -Jesse James

Comment

What is this, back to the future? Didn't we do this already with the last WR coach?

He got this way in the first place while these guys were coaching him, I wonder if this is even wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost View Post
          What is this, back to the future? Didn't we do this already with the last WR coach?

He got this way in the first place while these guys were coaching him, I wonder if this is even wise.
          Roads? Where we're going, you don't need roads.
          I stopped fighting my inner demons. We're on the same side now.

Comment

“A mentor from his past?” The guy held Beckham for a few seconds when he was a baby!
            That’s the reason people think this guy is going to be able to get Beckham to stop acting like a complete *******? Because he played with his dad in college?
            Ive never heard anything so stupid in my life!
            Beckham said he’s not changing for anyone.....and that’s after talking with Mara, who happens to be his boss.
            He’s a diva. What diva athlete was ever reformed? They only get worse...not better!
            This guy will get through to Beckham because he held him when Beckham had a poopy diaper?
            Lol.....ok!!!
            "I'M ALL FOR IT!"

John McKay, HC of the 1976 winless TB Buccaneers, when asked by a reporter, how McKay felt, about the execution of his offense.

Comment

Originally posted by GameTime View Post
              Odell....
              keep the fie and the passion. Lose the immaturity and bull****
              Honestly, I'm more concerned about his rehabilitation going forward
              “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Most star WRs are divas these days. I can put up with some of the immaturity and BS as long as he still has the fire and the incredible talent. Obviously Gettleman is going to have to make a decision on whether to pay an injury prone diva WR a huge amount of money but we saw how bad our team is without Beckham. We definitely need him.

Comment

The last wide receiver coach was his coach from college.

Comment

As long as he cuts out the drops and keeps catching double digit TDs and 1300+ yard seasons I don't care if we get a 15 yard penalty for him pissing like a dog every TD and hanging out with inanimate objects on the sidelines. People are more upset about his antics than the fact he leads the team in dropped passes. It's mind blowing. He can take a crap in the salvation army tub for all I care, as long as it's after a TD.
                    LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
                    "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue58 View Post
                      “A mentor from his past?” The guy held Beckham for a few seconds when he was a baby!
                      That’s the reason people think this guy is going to be able to get Beckham to stop acting like a complete *******? Because he played with his dad in college?
                      Beckham said he’s not changing for anyone.....and that’s after talking with Mara, who happens to be his boss.
                      He’s a diva. What diva athlete was ever reformed? They only get worse...not better!
                      This guy will get through to Beckham because he held him when Beckham had a poopy diaper?
                      Lol.....ok!!!
                      Relax....someone run over your dog this morning?

"Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
                      "No...I didn't."
                      "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

Originally posted by Tito-Wooten View Post
                        Most star WRs are divas these days. I can put up with some of the immaturity and BS as long as he still has the fire and the incredible talent. Obviously Gettleman is going to have to make a decision on whether to pay an injury prone diva WR a huge amount of money but we saw how bad our team is without Beckham. We definitely need him.
                        Injury prone?!? That’s a bit of a stretch, borderline dramatic. He missed 5 games of his first 3 years and the hit he took this season would’ve jacked anybody up.

Comment

Lol.....ok!!!
                          Clearly you don't like the guy. Outside of his fight with Norman there is very little to support your "jump ship" approach to OBJ. The dancing...SO WHAT! The dog peeing act! SO WHAT! that was in response to what was said by you know who. One could say they should be held to a higher standard than a 24 year old NFL player. What he has brought to this team is so much more than he has taken away. Just say you don't like him vs trying to support your feeling by trumped up, overblown, overdramatized rhetoric.

Comment

Lol.....ok!!!
                            Stranger things have happened. You focus on one line. He's known him since he was a baby and while growing up. I don't know if Beckham will ever change. But the team has invested a lot in him and they want to to everything they can to allow him to succeed. If this guy can help, then fine. If not, we haven't lost anything but effort

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBigBlue View Post

Relax....someone run over your dog this morning?
                              No...... my dog is fine, but you’re right, I need to relax!

"I'M ALL FOR IT!"

John McKay, HC of the 1976 winless TB Buccaneers, when asked by a reporter, how McKay felt, about the execution of his offense.

Comment

Working...
                              X