Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Giants owner wants Pat Shurmur to communicate to Odell Beckham ‘how we’re gonna act’ before talking deal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Giants owner wants Pat Shurmur to communicate to Odell Beckham ‘how we’re gonna act’ before talking deal

    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.3781022

    Excerpt: "John Mara said Friday that he wants to Odell Beckham Jr. to understand “how we’re gonna act” under new head coach Pat Shurmur before signing him to a contract extension.

    “We’ll deal with that at the appropriate time, but that’s not necessarily right now,” Mara said after Shurmur’s introductory press conference of negotiating an extension for Beckham, 25, his star receiver. “I’ve said before many times that we want him to be a Giant, and we’ll get something done at some point in time. But I want first (for) Pat to sit down with him and them to have a good understanding about how we’re gonna act going forward. And I have a lot of confidence that that’s gonna work out well. But we’ll see.”

    Mara’s lukewarm tone on Beckham’s future is noteworthy considering Beckham is entering the fifth- and final option year of his rookie deal and last offseason skipped all of the Giants’ voluntary OTAs in the offseason to make a point that he wanted negotiations on an extension to begin." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

  • #2
    The team will use his antics as leverage in his contract negotiations. Not sure how that will work as Odell can agree to anything before he signs. BUT if part of the conversation is you will sit your *** on the bench, then maybe...
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 01-26-2018, 12:37 PM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

    Comment


    • #3
      This year is a strong Draft. If, the Giants don't trade there number two pick. To gain more picks.The only assett is OBJ to trade for a few draft picks.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by fifthavephil View Post
        This year is a strong Draft. If, the Giants don't trade there number two pick. To gain more picks.The only assett is OBJ to trade for a few draft picks.
        I think they have made it pretty clear he's not on the auction block
        “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by fifthavephil View Post
          This year is a strong Draft. If, the Giants don't trade there number two pick. To gain more picks.The only assett is OBJ to trade for a few draft picks.
          OV and JPP can be traded but both less valuable as trade bait. Collins can be traded. I actually like and OV or JPP trade.
          Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

          http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

          Comment


          • #6
            Good!!! I hope this is also a signal that the organization is returning to its roots and culture where no one player is above the team, embarrassing the franchise is not tolerated and a certain level of professionalism is DEMANDED!

            As as much as I hate to say this, there is a reason the Patriots players stay in line and they have built and sustained a dynasty. You will never see a Patriot pissing in the end zone. If he did he would never see the field again.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
              The team will use his antics as leverage in his contract negotiations. Not sure how that will work as Odell can agree to anything before he signs. BUT if part of the conversation is you will sit your *** on the bench, then maybe...
              If I was his agent I would put all of OBJ's questionable outbursts and antics and even drops on a video clip and then cite how much time it took, then I would put all of his catches where he made Eli look good on a bad pass, displayed team spirit, said and did the right thing in the presser and then play it for the FO.

              Then I would recite the offense's statistics with and without OBJ.

              Leverage gone!

              The idea that overzealous TD celebrations gives a FO leverage in contract negotiations with elite NFL players is quixotic at best. Not too mention that he endangered his career playing injured to help a struggling team.

              OBJ should look to max out, break the bank, etc.
              Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

              http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

              Comment


              • #8
                Bunch of useless drivel, he's going to be the top paid WR no matter what.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by PennState1 View Post
                  Good!!! I hope this is also a signal that the organization is returning to its roots and culture where no one player is above the team, embarrassing the franchise is not tolerated and a certain level of professionalism is DEMANDED!

                  As as much as I hate to say this, there is a reason the Patriots players stay in line and they have built and sustained a dynasty. You will never see a Patriot pissing in the end zone. If he did he would never see the field again.
                  You never saw a giant pissing in the endzone. OBJ defended the action as a rebuttal to Trump's "son of a *****!" comment directed at players that kneel. In that respect, the disrespectful celebration was awesome!
                  Last edited by RoanokeFan; 01-26-2018, 01:08 PM.
                  Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

                  http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by B&RWarrior View Post

                    OV and JPP can be traded but both less valuable as trade bait. Collins can be traded. I actually like and OV or JPP trade.
                    Those two had better play up to those contracts. Hard to get rid of them before 2020.
                    Long Live the King

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by nycowns View Post
                      Bunch of useless drivel, he's going to be the top paid WR no matter what.
                      Basically. If you're a top-five player at any position you should probably get another agent if he or she isn't trying to get you the highest paid ever tag with new contract negotiations. Not as a starting point for negotiations, but as a baseline.
                      Last edited by B&RWarrior; 01-28-2018, 08:55 PM.
                      Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

                      http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by PennState1 View Post
                        Good!!! I hope this is also a signal that the organization is returning to its roots and culture where no one player is above the team, embarrassing the franchise is not tolerated and a certain level of professionalism is DEMANDED!

                        As as much as I hate to say this, there is a reason the Patriots players stay in line and they have built and sustained a dynasty. You will never see a Patriot pissing in the end zone. If he did he would never see the field again.
                        What about if a player was red faced and screaming at a coordinator while using profanity? Would they get to see the field again?
                        Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN

                        “I wrote after the combine that Engram was entering the first-round discussion, and I've moved him above David Njoku as my second-ranked tight end. … He put up the best 40 time (4.42) among tight ends and the fourth-best vertical (36 inches) at the combine. At 6-3, 234, Engram had 65 catches for 925 yards and eight touchdowns in 2016.”

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Gee718 View Post

                          Those two had better play up to those contracts. Hard to get rid of them before 2020.
                          It's too late. They would have had to ball out every year of those contracts. I say we cut the losses, beef up the Oline. Wynn and & company can give us what we got from at least one of the end positions for a fraction of the money. With the guaranteed money they got, I wonder how that plays out in trade talk. The sunk cost may be too much to even consider them as trade options.
                          Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

                          http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by B&RWarrior View Post

                            If I was his agent I would put all of OBJ's questionable outbursts and antics and even drops on a video clip and then cite how much time it took, then I would put all of his catches where he made Eli look good on a bad pass, displayed team spirit, said and did the right thing in the presser and then play it for the FO.

                            Then I would recite the offense's statistics with and without OBJ.

                            Leverage gone!

                            The idea that overzealous TD celebrations gives a FO leverage in contract negotiations with elite NFL players is quixotic at best. Not too mention that he endangered his career playing injured to help a struggling team.

                            OBJ should look to max out, break the bank, etc.
                            Teams have the right to require certain behaviors of there players. TC required they wear sits when traveling as a team for example. Overzealous is one thing, repeatedly acting like a moron is something else altogether. Whether it be a TD celebration or personal fouls one after the other because he let an opponent get into his head is being a moron.

                            I imagine his contract will have performance incentives. He can't make those incentives unless he's playing. My hope is they bench him if is behavior warrants.
                            “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Why does this have to be expressed publicly?
                              Emperor Tom

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X