New York Giants: Gettleman has little cap wiggle room

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York Giants: Gettleman has little cap wiggle room

Former general manager Jerry Reese was not great at player procurement in his final years at the helm.

And based up the salary cap situation the New York Giants faces, he wasn’t too proficient in finance either. According to the NFL salary cap evaluation site, Spotrac, Big Blue currently has $22,788,568 in available cap space. The team’s 2017 rollover cap was in the red at $-1,513,891.

With that amount of money, the G-Men will attempt to re-sign linemen Weston Richburg and Justin Pugh, as well as running back Orleans Darkwa and cornerback Ross Cockrell. Other free agents like running back Shane Vereen, guard D.J. Fluker and linebackers Jonathan Casillas and Devon Kennard are also in the mix......................................

https://gmenhq.com/2018/01/25/new-yo...p-wiggle-room/

Originally posted by brownelvis54 View Post
    Former general manager Jerry Reese was not great at player procurement in his final years at the helm.

And based up the salary cap situation the New York Giants faces, he wasn’t too proficient in finance either. According to the NFL salary cap evaluation site, Spotrac, Big Blue currently has $22,788,568 in available cap space. The team’s 2017 rollover cap was in the red at $-1,513,891.

With that amount of money, the G-Men will attempt to re-sign linemen Weston Richburg and Justin Pugh, as well as running back Orleans Darkwa and cornerback Ross Cockrell. Other free agents like running back Shane Vereen, guard D.J. Fluker and linebackers Jonathan Casillas and Devon Kennard are also in the mix......................................

this is an easy one...don't resign any of 'em.

Comment

Salary cap is not set in stone. Other projections have the Giants much closer to $30M. Cutting some folks moves the cap space up, depending on who they cut and how much dead money is involved. The Giants are currently in the middle of the league for cap space, so I think Gettleman can get some people.

Comment

I thought they had a decent amount to roll over as I remember them not using it all. -1.5M Surprised me?
        Football has been very, very good to us.
        After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
        But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
        2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
        3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
        4-New York Giants!!!
        5-NE
        Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

I dont think this roster is thaaat bad to need to go crazy in FA either way. Most of the attention should be to resigning the few guys we want back and rebuilding the OL. And hopefully we can draft well this year.

Although i would like Pugh back, i think he'll just cost too much. And i can see Giants going Andrew Norwell in FA and letting Pugh walk. i think we will let Richburg walk and bring Brett Jones back as a cheaper option. Jerry i think will be gone or at least restructured to less and be a backup. I could see Fluker back for cheap as well. Flowers obviously off LT, but he may be able to win a job on the right or at OG.

Gotta find a LT either in the draft or in FA some how though. That should be biggest concern.

Comment

7 players to pick in the draft and 22 mil for FA......

We need
            OL
            LB
            QB??
            RB??
            WR??
            CB

At most we wind up with 11 new guys.....

Man this is gonna be tighter than driving a tractor trailer through the Lincoln tunnel......(which is illegal)

Oh I forgot a punter and kicker.....greeeat....
            "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
            "No...I didn't."
            "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

There was a great post a few weeks ago. If the giants make a few random moves. Mostly w Eli. They can have a lot more flexibility.
              In that list, I want in this order
              fluker
              pugh
              kennard/cockrell
              after that. Let them walk. Come on dave. Bring us some hard nosed mean mother••••••••• players again.

Comment

DRC is also due a lot of money for a 32 year old corner. Wouldnt surprise me to see him cut or restructured. Giants save $6.5M if they cut DRC

Comment

This assumes the Giants want any of those guys back! The changes so far are just beginning! Don’t be surprised if a bunch of players (including some high profile guys) are casulities of the overdue and necessary overhaul of this team. They have to change the LOSING UNDICIPLINED CULTURE of this team. You don’t do that by retaining the same guys.
                  Last edited by PennState1; 01-26-2018, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Barneygum View Post

this is an easy one...don't resign any of 'em.
                    Fluker, Casillas and Kennard are definitely worth resigning.
                    Deny everything. Admit nothing. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

HELL NO to Casillas
                      Last edited by Elidagoat713; 01-27-2018, 12:21 AM.

Comment

No team in the NFL is strong at every position. They will prioritize and hopefully get better at the real key areas.

Comment

Fluker and Kennard especially. Kennard ESPECIALLY especially

Comment

Originally posted by Elidagoat713 View Post

HELLO NO to Casillas
                            Agreed. Casillas is terrible. The epitome of bad LB's.

Comment

I agree but 23 is not a lot when you consider it may take 8 to sign the Draft picks . 6 for a buffer. In reality it is more like 9 or 10 at this point.
                              "Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad." Darrell Royal

Comment

Working...
                              X