Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Giants are Eli Manning's team again under Pat Shurmur, but drawing line in the sand with Odell Beckham Jr.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giants are Eli Manning's team again under Pat Shurmur, but drawing line in the sand with Odell Beckham Jr.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.3781022

Excerpt: "Eli Manning may get a contract extension before Odell Beckham Jr. does.

Head coach Pat Shurmur aced Friday morning’s introductory press conference in East Rutherford, coming off as confident, comfortable, relatable, intelligent and in charge.

But what stood out most from both Shurmur’s and team president John Mara’s comments was the stark contrast in their remarks about the futures of Manning and Beckham, especially from Mara.

On the one hand, Shurmur said he believes Manning has “years left” on his career and Mara stressed how “positive” it was to hear Shurmur endorse Manning from the beginning of his interview for the job.

On the other, while Shurmur glowed about Beckham’s “tremendous” talent and said it will be “sort of a clean slate deal right now,” Mara said that he wants Beckham to meet with Shurmur and understand “how we’re gonna act” before signing him to a contract extension.

And Shurmur added on Beckham: “I need to talk to him about what it is that we’re looking for (in) a guy that plays for the New York Giants.”

This marked Mara’s most lukewarm comments on Beckham’s future with the Giants yet, and it made clear Shurmur intends to set ground rules that forbid the type of behavior Beckham often has exhibited in bad taste — from his 2015 street fight with Josh Norman and related suspension, to the infamous Boat Trip prior to the 2016 playoff dud in Green Bay, to pretending to pee on the field like a dog in Philadelphia this past fall." Read more...

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.3781022

Excerpt: "Eli Manning may get a contract extension before Odell Beckham Jr. does.

Head coach Pat Shurmur aced Friday morning’s introductory press conference in East Rutherford, coming off as confident, comfortable, relatable, intelligent and in charge.

But what stood out most from both Shurmur’s and team president John Mara’s comments was the stark contrast in their remarks about the futures of Manning and Beckham, especially from Mara.

On the one hand, Shurmur said he believes Manning has “years left” on his career and Mara stressed how “positive” it was to hear Shurmur endorse Manning from the beginning of his interview for the job.

On the other, while Shurmur glowed about Beckham’s “tremendous” talent and said it will be “sort of a clean slate deal right now,” Mara said that he wants Beckham to meet with Shurmur and understand “how we’re gonna act” before signing him to a contract extension.

And Shurmur added on Beckham: “I need to talk to him about what it is that we’re looking for (in) a guy that plays for the New York Giants.”

This marked Mara’s most lukewarm comments on Beckham’s future with the Giants yet, and it made clear Shurmur intends to set ground rules that forbid the type of behavior Beckham often has exhibited in bad taste — from his 2015 street fight with Josh Norman and related suspension, to the infamous Boat Trip prior to the 2016 playoff dud in Green Bay, to pretending to pee on the field like a dog in Philadelphia this past fall." Read more...
    Nice spin! I see no line being drawn. I am sure Shurmur will be meeting with several players. "Drawing line in the sand" smh. Like Shurmur said he wants to meet with OBJ and have a conversation find out what makes him tick. Obviously as the HC he wants to make sure there is an understanding between what is expected with his STAR player. I find it comical how we choose to put a spin on what was said and interpret it how we see fit. No the boat trip wasn't the best idea but let it go, so if he didn't take the boat trip but stayed in NY and hung out with friends would that have been better. What did everyone else on the team do that led to their poor play?? Hmmm I guess ATL must have with to the Bahamas's after their collapse last yr in SB.
    Must we make a mountain of every single thing? I guess so because so many ppl simply do not like him and so this is what they do. Take a snippet from a presser and spin it into something else. It's not the criticism it's the way in which it's stated as if he murdered someone. caught with semi automatics in his trunk, solicited a prostitute and refused to pay her after services, drugs etc. HE PRETENDED TO BE A DOG AND PEED IN THE END ZONE!! Clearly not the worse we've seen in the NFL or the NYG for that matter.

So fans can continue with their LAME attempts to discredit the guy for petty infractions while the wait eagerly for something more significant to occur. WOW! How amazing would that be for all the "I told you so's" out there. It is pathetic and to be honest speaks to other issues they other than the fairly minor infractions he has had in 4 years (minus the Norman deal)

Fans were chomping at the bit to ridicule OBJ for not coming out publicly in support of ELI during the breaking of the streak which turned out to be BS because he reached out personally. I believe he showed maturity there as it wasn't his place to comment and it was an ORG decision.

Anyway yall have fun destroy this guy and I HOPE he goes to another team IN THE DIVISION so that he can torch our A.... for years to come. Then you all can sit silently as you change you tune in private and eat that nice hot CROW.

Comment

"Eli Manning may get a contract extension before Odell Beckham Jr. does."

Lmao Please tell me this is a sick joke. I made a joke to my friend that they might even extend Manning.
      Last edited by Cruzan 26; 01-27-2018, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cruzan 26 View Post
        "Eli Manning may get a contract extension before Odell Beckham Jr. does."

Lmao Please tell me this is a sick joke. I made a joke to my friend that they might even extend Manning.
        They might extend Eli for cap reasons, and not necessarily because he'll be here those years

Comment

The problem with Odell's antics is that he gets flagged for it and it costs the team yards. So You cannot say his antics doesn't hurt anyone. It's a maturity issue. All people are saying is that Odell should concentrate on football and cut out the antics like peeing like a dog. it's not that hard of an ask. He wants to be paid like a professional, he should act and play like one. His drops do not help his cause.

Comment

Originally posted by acbleedblue View Post
            The problem with Odell's antics is that he gets flagged for it and it costs the team yards. So You cannot say his antics doesn't hurt anyone. It's a maturity issue. All people are saying is that Odell should concentrate on football and cut out the antics like peeing like a dog. it's not that hard of an ask. He wants to be paid like a professional, he should act and play like one. His drops do not help his cause.
            I agree with you regarding flags and peeing antics. How many flag has OBJ got in 3.5 years? (serious question) How many of those were precursors to and loss? No unnecessary flag is okay by any means but lets not pretend he is the most penalized WR or player in history. Take away Norman incident and peeing and what do you have?.... Proposing to a net?? Dancing in end zone? Which the NFL brought back so obviously it was not the issue it was made out to be.

We scream about his drop which I get but say little about all the off target catches that he makes!!! He is trying every week and leaving it ALL on the field...you and everyone else knows that to be a FACT
            Last edited by BornBlue37; 01-27-2018, 02:55 PM.

Comment

I loved Shurmer's press conference. I like his demeanor, I like his attitude, I like his sense of humor, and his philosophy. It appears to me that he is very smart just by the way he speaks. We have an experienced grown up, well adjusted man for a head coach now. Finally someone who won't be an embarrassment in a press conference. Will this all translate into winning, we'll see, Gettleman has to get him some players. As far as Eli and OBJ go, Shurmer needs to work with these guys before you can say anything one way or the other. Eli contract extension better not have a a no-trade clause and boat load of guaranteed money, that's for sure.

Comment

Yeah extend Eli... dump Odell. I'm done. Won't watch this garbage. Life is too short

Comment

Originally posted by BornBlue37 View Post

Nice spin! I see no line being drawn. I am sure Shurmur will be meeting with several players. "Drawing line in the sand" smh. Like Shurmur said he wants to meet with OBJ and have a conversation find out what makes him tick. Obviously as the HC he wants to make sure there is an understanding between what is expected with his STAR player. I find it comical how we choose to put a spin on what was said and interpret it how we see fit. No the boat trip wasn't the best idea but let it go, so if he didn't take the boat trip but stayed in NY and hung out with friends would that have been better. What did everyone else on the team do that led to their poor play?? Hmmm I guess ATL must have with to the Bahamas's after their collapse last yr in SB.
                  Must we make a mountain of every single thing? I guess so because so many ppl simply do not like him and so this is what they do. Take a snippet from a presser and spin it into something else. It's not the criticism it's the way in which it's stated as if he murdered someone. caught with semi automatics in his trunk, solicited a prostitute and refused to pay her after services, drugs etc. HE PRETENDED TO BE A DOG AND PEED IN THE END ZONE!! Clearly not the worse we've seen in the NFL or the NYG for that matter.

So fans can continue with their LAME attempts to discredit the guy for petty infractions while the wait eagerly for something more significant to occur. WOW! How amazing would that be for all the "I told you so's" out there. It is pathetic and to be honest speaks to other issues they other than the fairly minor infractions he has had in 4 years (minus the Norman deal)

Fans were chomping at the bit to ridicule OBJ for not coming out publicly in support of ELI during the breaking of the streak which turned out to be BS because he reached out personally. I believe he showed maturity there as it wasn't his place to comment and it was an ORG decision.

Anyway yall have fun destroy this guy and I HOPE he goes to another team IN THE DIVISION so that he can torch our A.... for years to come. Then you all can sit silently as you change you tune in private and eat that nice hot CROW.
                  We are all entitled to our opinions.
                  Last edited by RoanokeFan; 01-27-2018, 03:34 PM.
                  “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Mara is a ****ing moron.

" Mara stressed how “positive” it was to hear Shurmur endorse Manning from the beginning of his interview for the job."

Yeah, we all wondered why Patricia and others said no. Now we know. Mara just confirmed he needed a HC to say Eli is King. I dont see this team doing anything the next 2-3 years.

If Eli doenst have Odell the past 4 years he looks like 2017 Eli every year.

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post

We are all entitled to our opinions.
                      Yes we are. Hopefully OBJ will rob a bank or be caught in some huge scandal this offseason so the oversensitive and morally self-righteous can finally relax with satisfaction and contentment.
                      Last edited by RoanokeFan; 01-27-2018, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post
                        Mara is a ****ing moron.

" Mara stressed how “positive” it was to hear Shurmur endorse Manning from the beginning of his interview for the job."

Yeah, we all wondered why Patricia and others said no. Now we know. Mara just confirmed he needed a HC to say Eli is King. I dont see this team doing anything the next 2-3 years.

If Eli doenst have Odell the past 4 years he looks like 2017 Eli every year.
                        The truth is not popular here sir

Comment

Originally posted by BornBlue37 View Post

I agree with you regarding flags and peeing antics. How many flag has OBJ got in 3.5 years? (serious question) How many of those were precursors to and loss? No unnecessary flag is okay by any means but lets not pretend he is the most penalized WR or player in history. Take away Norman incident and peeing and what do you have?.... Proposing to a net?? Dancing in end zone? Which the NFL brought back so obviously it was not the issue it was made out to be.

We scream about his drop which I get but say little about all the off target catches that he makes!!! He is trying every week and leaving it ALL on the field...you and everyone else knows that to be a FACT
                          And I honestly don't think dropping the ball 15x out of 463 targets is bad in first three years in the league.

Comment

Originally posted by Cruzan 26 View Post

And I honestly don't think dropping the ball 15x out of 463 targets is bad in first three years in the league.
                            Well to some on this board it is and they personally can not catch a cold but have the audacity to overly scrutinize a guy that leaves it all of the field. Some player apparently have to be perfect and flawless to be appreciated around here.

Comment

Well the fanbase backlash has Mara running scared now. I'm worried. He seems clueless. Let's the fanbase run the org. Yeah run it right into the ground. Team is gonna stink for a while. You can't go with an aging (and let's face it - athletically limited) QB and expect different results?

Whats that saying .... something like ... what's the def of insanity... doing the same thing over and over and expecting diff results?

Comment

Working...
                              X