Are We Going To Blow This Chance???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post

no one expects the player to sit for 2 years ... but a season or less behind Eli Manning will be the best education any QB could possibly ask for when entering the league

learning to be a pro is a hell of a lot harder than learning to play the game
    Which QB’s in this draft do you think will be ready to play in a season or less?
    Engage brain before speaking.

Comment

no one expects the player to sit for 2 years ... but a season or less behind Eli Manning will be the best education any QB could possibly ask for when entering the league

learning to be a pro is a hell of a lot harder than learning to play the game
      That sounds great but its just not a good business practice in this current NFL. That would tie almost $30 mil on one position. That move would set them back two fold when it come to rebuilding the Oline immediately. First with the cap/free agent market, and drafting starting in the 2nd round with so many other needs.
      Emperor Tom

Comment

• Originally posted by TCHOF View Post

If we have the number 2 pick in the draft 4 years from now, that will mean that everything that happened between now and then (including the 2018 draft) was a complete and absolute failure, and will likely mean that Gettleman and Shurmur will be fired. That scenario is ok with you?

I haven’t seen a single person who has advocated taking any old QB who happens to be there when we pick. The posters in favor of picking a QB are in favor of picking a QB who the team has rated as a championship quality QB, if such a QB is available at #2
        I know, but I personally think people are overrating the top QB's. And there are multiple possibilities of what can happen over these next few years, what if the team wins a Super Bowl in two years, has three really good seasons and in the fourth year has a bad season because eli looks like Peyton did in his last season, meaning he can't make any throws downfield. Then hypothetically lets say Webb gets his shot that year, doesn't look good or whatever and they have a bad year, then let's say hypothetically that offseason there is an obvious can't miss QB who makes plenty of throws in tight coverage, and is mentally mature, would it be the end of the world if they didn't choose Darnold or Rosen? I should've chose my words better because i wasn't predicting that would happen because I have confidence in Gettleman and the new staff to improve the team, but in principle what I'm referring to is the fact that I see many people saying they HAVE to choose one of the top QB's in this years draft and I personally think that would be a bad choice because I think that the team is set at QB for at least the next 3 years, which gives ample time, and in addition I think the team seriously needs offensive linemen and pass rushers so they can compete otherwise regardless of the QB they'll be picking between 1-15 again next season. I think you either go BPA, which means draft Barkley because he is almost like an OBJ at the running back position, draft the best Offensive or defensive linemen, or trade back.

Comment

• Originally posted by speedman View Post

Which QB’s in this draft do you think will be ready to play in a season or less?
          not my job to determine that ... nor is it yours

Comment

• Originally posted by NWKEffectElement View Post

That sounds great but its just not a good business practice in this current NFL. That would tie almost $30 mil on one position. That move would set them back two fold when it come to rebuilding the Oline immediately. First with the cap/free agent market, and drafting starting in the 2nd round with so many other needs.
            well that's what is going to happen ... so ...

not sure what to tell you

Comment

not my job to determine that ... nor is it yours
              Was just asking for your opinion.

Comment

• the team you guys root for just hired “the QB whisperer”

you think they are not going to give him one of these prospects to mold ?

here’s a fresh bag of Kona coffee beans gentlemen ... you might want to smell them

Comment

the team you guys root for just hired “the QB whisperer”

you think they are not going to give him one of these prospects to mold ?

here’s a fresh bag of Kona coffee beans gentlemen ... you might want to smell them
                  That was a ****ty comment.

Comment

That was a ****ty comment.
                    im glad you liked it

Comment

• After what case keenun did this year, pat can probably have similar success with webb. He did note webb was on their radar.
                      That's why we discuss, We all have different perspectives. Ride and Die with the NY Giants

Comment

• Originally posted by TE88 View Post
                        I get the OP but the bust rate on 1st round QBs is exceptionally high.
                        as opposed to the bust rate on 2nd or 3rd round QBs? of course QB is a crapshoot but a QB picked in the top 5 has a much higher success rate than any place else you're going to draft a QB. something like 65-70% of QBs drafted in the top 5 the past 10 years are still the starting QB for their team. not all of them are all pros but you have guys like cam newton, matthew stafford, matt ryan, carson wentz, jared goff, etc. all coming from the top 5.

i just don't get the people that are against picking a QB. why? you really think eli has anything left in the tank? even if you somehow haven't been processing how bad he was last season he's still 37 years old. all not drafting a QB does is delay the inevitable when the QB class might suck and we might not have a good pick and be required to mortgage our future by trading draft picks to get the guy we want like we did to get eli in 2004 (even though we had all the leverage there which was crazy). the QB class next year looks pretty mediocre and i really hope we're not picking in the top 5 again, i mean before this year the last time we had a pick as high as #2 was when we drafted LT. morehead is right, it would be stupid to pick a RB or whoever with the #2 pick and ignore the most important position on the football team. davis webb is an unknown quantity in the NFL and it's certainly much rarer for 3rd round QBs to pan out than first rounders. if you want to trade down fine but don't expect any of the top 4 QBs to be there past the 10th pick if not sooner.

Comment

well that's what is going to happen ... so ...

not sure what to tell you
                          Doesn't matter I'll still support this team through that paper bag stage. If they don't draft a QB in the #2, I suppose you can answer why they didn't.
                          Emperor Tom

Comment

Sitting a #2 pick for 2 years is a waste in the free agency era.
                            If we draft a QB at 2, he is not sitting for two years. Would be surprised if he sat for one full season actually....

Comment

• Yeah New England, Pittsburg and the Chargers wish they were in our shoes. We got the 2nd overall pick, what do they have? One team made the playoffs (again) another team was 9-7 and heading in the right direction. And lastly one team is playing for their 6 championship in 16 years.

Those three teams should be envious of us, did I mention we have the 2nd overall pick??

Comment

• Originally posted by Tito-Wooten View Post

as opposed to the bust rate on 2nd or 3rd round QBs? of course QB is a crapshoot but a QB picked in the top 5 has a much higher success rate than any place else you're going to draft a QB. something like 65-70% of QBs drafted in the top 5 the past 10 years are still the starting QB for their team. not all of them are all pros but you have guys like cam newton, matthew stafford, matt ryan, carson wentz, jared goff, etc. all coming from the top 5.

i just don't get the people that are against picking a QB. why? you really think eli has anything left in the tank? even if you somehow haven't been processing how bad he was last season he's still 37 years old. all not drafting a QB does is delay the inevitable when the QB class might suck and we might not have a good pick and be required to mortgage our future by trading draft picks to get the guy we want like we did to get eli in 2004 (even though we had all the leverage there which was crazy). the QB class next year looks pretty mediocre and i really hope we're not picking in the top 5 again, i mean before this year the last time we had a pick as high as #2 was when we drafted LT. morehead is right, it would be stupid to pick a RB or whoever with the #2 pick and ignore the most important position on the football team. davis webb is an unknown quantity in the NFL and it's certainly much rarer for 3rd round QBs to pan out than first rounders. if you want to trade down fine but don't expect any of the top 4 QBs to be there past the 10th pick if not sooner.
                                Nice cherry pick.

I clearly stated if you believe in a QB then you must take him.

And the bust rate for top of first round QBs is huge. As I also stated elsewhere in this thread the impact of a bust top of first round QB pick is also far more significant. A bust top 5 QB sets the franchise back 5 years and likely ends the jobs of the HC and GM who picked him. It is the riskiest pick in the entire draft, but also the highest reward.

Comment

Working...
                                X