Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If he wants to be a Giant for life, Eli Manning needs to look to Kurt Warner on how to do things the right way

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If he wants to be a Giant for life, Eli Manning needs to look to Kurt Warner on how to do things the right way

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.3784504

Excerpt: "Ladies and gentleman, your attention please: Playing the part of Super Bowl MVP Kurt Warner in today’s performance of Big Blue Babysitter will be two-time Super Bowl MVP Eli Manning.

Now that John Mara, Dave Gettleman and Pat Shurmur have signed off on Manning rebounding from the McAdoo Mess to be the starter for the 2018 season opener, the issue becomes: Okay … sounds good … but for how long?

If the Giants select either USC quarterback Sam Darnold or UCLA quarterback Josh Rosen with the second pick in the April draft, or even trade down a few spots if they like Wyoming’s Josh Allen the best of a strong group, then the sand starts running out of the hourglass a lot quicker on Manning’s tenure as the Giants starter.

Can Manning perform the babysitter role for Darnold, Rosen or Allen and do it as well and as willingly as Warner did for him in his rookie year in 2004? Will Eli be Brett Favre ignoring Aaron Rodgers or will he embrace the young guy like he has with non-threats Ryan Nassib and Davis Webb, even though his job will be on the line for the first time in his career?

“For me in 2004, I knew I wasn’t done yet,” Warner told the Daily News. “So, as far as going through that situation with Eli, I understood going in what I was getting into. I knew my mindset wasn’t, ‘I am going to be the Giants starter for the long term,’ and then all of a sudden a young kid gets thrown in there and I’m thinking, ‘Oh my gosh, is this my future?’”

Manning is 37, has missed the playoffs five of the last six years, hasn’t won a playoff game since Super Bowl XLVI following the 2011 season and was 3-12 last year. Warner was 33 when he signed with the Giants to be the veteran bridge to Manning after Ernie Accorsi traded for Eli during the draft. Kerry Collins, who had taken the Giants to Super Bowl XXXV, was the QB incumbent, but rejected Accorsi’s offer to be Manning’s mentor. He still wanted to play. He forced the Giants to cut him and he signed with the Raiders.

Warner had lost his job in St. Louis to Marc Bulger and was looking for a way to re-establish himself. Accorsi and Tom Coughlin needed a veteran to open the 2004 season until Manning was ready and the offensive line could develop." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

totally different situation. Warner was not with the Giants for 14 season without ever missing a game. He was brought in as a stop gap.

While I agree Eli should "care" about the Giants future and try to assist in the transition his situation is totally different than Warner's was. Not even close
    "it won't matter who we pick at #2 because whoever it is we need him..."

​​​​​​ -Jesse James

Comment

Originally posted by GameTime View Post
      totally different situation. Warner was not with the Giants for 14 season without ever missing a game. He was brought in as a stop gap.

While I agree Eli should "care" about the Giants future and try to assist in the transition his situation is totally different than Warner's was. Not even close
      Kurt Warner was younger and dare I say, a better QB than Eli was at this stage. Warner Went to Arizona and almost won another chip. When the coaches made a decision, he didn't pout, he helped out.

leader
      Long Live the King

Comment

Originally posted by Gee718 View Post

Kurt Warner was younger and dare I say, a better QB than Eli was at this stage. Warner Went to Arizona and almost won another chip. When the coaches made a decision, he didn't pout, he helped out.

leader
        I think that's the intended message of the article.
        “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Kurt Warner held on to the ball way too long and took unnecessary sacks. He would have done nothing in this offence and would have suffered serious injury behind this oline.

Kurt is bitter even after all these years. Get over it Kurt.. Eli is going to win another starting for us.

Comment

leader
            Kurt Warner was not doing so well when we had him. He busted his thumb with the Rams, and personally, i don't think he had full confidence back just yet.

Comment

When the coaches made a decision, he didn't pout, he helped out.
              I don't know...sounds like he is still pouting to this day.

Comment

So this is why I keep saying I don't think Eli will be back.

We draft that future franchise QB, the pressure to get him out here will be enormous - Eli knows this, perhaps better than anyone.
                That pressure will come from the FO and the very fans that support Eli now.
                Eli may not want to be in that position.
                Kerry Collins actually took less money to go to the Raiders, rather than...I believe the word he used was "babysit" Eli.

I have asked before for the name of a franchise QB, at the end of his career, who babysat his immediate replacement. I can come close, but not on point.
                "I hire my brains"...Horace Trumbauer

Comment

leader
                  Both Geno and Webb said Eli was very helpful...or are we just ignoring the facts?

Comment

say what you want about Warner, he was a damn good NFL QB & is one of the very few to take 2 different teams to the SB & should have won both SBs as a Ram but the cheatriots & spygate denied him that one & won vs the Steelers but that last second pick before the half at the damn goal line was the killer IMO. Az gets a FG there & they probably end up winning that SB over the Steelers. And IMO, Warner was the better passer of the two, he put up some monster passing stats with the Rams that Eli never did & he was a 2 time NFL MVP as well. I disagree with people saying he would not have been a good longtime QB with the Giants. He is a worthy HOFer. Let's not forget he was bagging groceries & playing Arena football prior to getting a shot with the Rams in his late 20s.

Comment

leader
                      He's still crying about it 13 years later, yeah some leader

Comment

Originally posted by Delicreep View Post

Both Geno and Webb said Eli was very helpful...or are we just ignoring the facts?
                        I don't think those two issues are not compatible. Eli, the competitor, understandably wants all the snaps. Eli is also a good teammate and will help those guys. I recall reading a piece after his "benching" which showed him on the practice field with Smith and Webb. It cold be that retirement isn't something Eli wants to think about but it's coming and he knows it.

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post

I don't think those two issues are not compatible. Eli, the competitor, understandably wants all the snaps. Eli is also a good teammate and will help those guys. I recall reading a piece after his "benching" which showed him on the practice field with Smith and Webb. It cold be that retirement isn't something Eli wants to think about but it's coming and he knows it.
                          The question is does he want to spend the year(s) prior to retiring with that kind of pressure...from the FO and the fan base...just hard for me to picture.

And my reply to Gee was about Eli pouting, not helping out and not being a leader, something that is not supported by any facts whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkSaint View Post
                            Kurt Warner held on to the ball way too long and took unnecessary sacks. He would have done nothing in this offence and would have suffered serious injury behind this oline.

Kurt is bitter even after all these years. Get over it Kurt.. Eli is going to win another starting for us.
                            When Warner was here, he was a perfect teammate and to Eli in particular.

Comment

leader
                              Kurt Warner would have pouted had TC told him to play the 1st half only to get benched in the 2nd half no matter what just to see what Eli looks like out there.....By the way I would have backed Kurt Warner 100% had he said no to that craziness.

Comment

Working...
                              X