Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If he wants to be a Giant for life, Eli Manning needs to look to Kurt Warner on how to do things the right way

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GameTime View Post

99%?

Lets see if I am on the 1% or the 99% side:

Eli, personally, had a poor performing season above and beyond the trouble going on around him. I am not saying Eli should have been able to pull this team through with 9 or 10 wins. But.....there many moments in which he had circumstances to work in and he fell short. The game within the game showed him to be at fault with his own poor play.

Of course the QB relies on many factors for things to work but if a fan is going to sit back and say Eli is fine and everything else round him stinks then thats a very narrow minded and faulty perception.

There a few key problems with the Giants offense. Eli is one of them.
    I don't disagree.

I was referring to Eli declining to the offer to play the first half of games just to keep his streak alive.

Comment

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post

I don't disagree.

I was referring to Eli declining to the offer to play the first half of games just to keep his streak alive.
      gotcha
      "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
      You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post

you forgetting that Kerry Collins was the one who was supposed to be in front of Eli but he blew a fit and basically demanded himself off the team ?

Kurt came in knowing his roll ... he came in knowing that Eli was the future and he was a stop gap

these situations could not be more different
        I am absolutely sure you are right. I'm sure it was clearly explained to him that way.

However I am also sure that Kurt Warner was determined to prove them wrong and show that he was still a winning QB (which by the way...he was). Don't forget they started that year 5-2. It was only when they lost two games to drop to 5-4, that they started Eli....and blew the season up. How ironic given recent events.

So yes....Kurt "knew his role". But he definitely wanted to keep that job. I doubt ANY NFL QB would have dealt with it in any other way.

And his career after he left NY would suggest he would have been right about his ability.
        Deny everything. Admit nothing. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

I am absolutely sure you are right. I'm sure it was clearly explained to him that way.

However I am also sure that Kurt Warner was determined to prove them wrong and show that he was still a winning QB (which by the way...he was). Don't forget they started that year 5-2. It was only when they lost two games to drop to 5-4, that they started Eli....and blew the season up. How ironic given recent events.

So yes....Kurt "knew his role". But he definitely wanted to keep that job. I doubt ANY NFL QB would have dealt with it in any other way.

And his career after he left NY would suggest he would have been right about his ability.
          Eli as a rookie is not the same as the Geno Smith scenario at all.. Cant compare the Giants wanting to get Eli going when Warner was the QB to having Geno replace Eli.
          No way to rationalize these two scenarios at all.

At the time I wanted Warner to stay in. I figured why not. A proven QB. But the the FO had their agenda.
          "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
          You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

Warner was not playing well when he got benched and had not been a good QB for a while leading up to his signing with the Giants as a placeholder for Eli (no one else was out there offering him a starting job). He had been cut by the Rams for Marc Bulger.

I give him credit for resurrecting his career in Arizona, but he was not a good QB when he came to the Giants and there was no reason fro the Giants to continue to play him with a #1 draft pick QB on the bench.

The Warner situation would only be ironic if the Giants had benched Eli for Webb. Benching Eli for Geno bears no resemblance to the Warner/Eli situation.

Comment

Eli as a rookie is not the same as the Geno Smith scenario at all.. Cant compare the Giants wanting to get Eli going when Warner was the QB to having Geno replace Eli.

At the time I wanted Warner to stay in. I figured why not. A proven QB. But the the FO had their agenda.
              Even if Eli and Geno were in the same scenario??....It still doesnt make sense to play Kurt or Eli in the 1st half only to get benched at halftime no matter what. Its really that simple and nothing complicated about it. So this Warner comparison never made any sense to me from the start.

Comment

Plus the Giants weren't going anywhere with Warner that year anyway. The team wasn't good. Adding to the pointlessness he was hired specifically to warm the seat; nothing more.

Warner was right about his ability to be effective again. He just needed to get into a system that protected him better, fit him skills and had better players. He was great with AZ.

Comment

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post

Warner was not playing well when he got benched and had not been a good QB for a while leading up to his signing with the Giants as a placeholder for Eli (no one else was out there offering him a starting job). He had been cut by the Rams for Marc Bulger.

I give him credit for resurrecting his career in Arizona, but he was not a good QB when he came to the Giants and there was no reason fro the Giants to continue to play him with a #1 draft pick QB on the bench.

The Warner situation would only be ironic if the Giants had benched Eli for Webb. Benching Eli for Geno bears no resemblance to the Warner/Eli situation.
                  +1

Comment

Well we are talking about next year's scenario which as far as I can tell, has nothing to do with Geno Smith.

My point is that there may be more similarities to the 2004 Giants than might be suggested. A vet QB, determined to prove he can still win with a rookie waiting in the wings.
                    That is assuming we draft one at #2.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post

Plus the Giants weren't going anywhere with Warner that year anyway. The team wasn't good. Adding to the pointlessness he was hired specifically to warm the seat; nothing more.

Warner was right about his ability to be effective again. He just needed to get into a system that protected him better, fit him skills and had better players. He was great with AZ.
                      THAT I disagree with. we were 5-4 when Eli took over. And that friggin fumble by Amani killed us in the Bears game. We would have gone up 2 scores and that play turned the whole game. We were dominating up to that point.

The problem with Warner in 2004 was that he was holding the ball way too long. Was he playing well? He was aheck of a lot better than Eli played that season. That Baltimore game might have been the worst performance I've ever seen in an NFL QB.

I disagree that the season was lost. We had a winning record for God's sake. and 8-8 made the playoffs that year.

Comment

When it comes to Eli Manning, I have always felt that Warner harbors sour grapes.

Comment

As for calling Nassib and Webb "non-threats" ...... I recall how both were touted as the future. So what happened?

Comment

Originally posted by rebelfan1966 View Post
                            When it comes to Eli Manning, I have always felt that Warner harbors sour grapes.
                            Well the fact is that he was replaced by a QB who played a lot worse than he did....at a time when they had a winning record and basically tanked the season to get the kid playing time...might be a part of it. Does that scenario sound familiar.
                            I think Warner just doesn't love Eli's game. I've never heard him say anything really derogatory about Eli that didn't have to do with his play.

As a fan, I wanted Eli on the field badly. I didn't like watching my team in limbo with a placekeeper at QB.

Comment

Originally posted by rebelfan1966 View Post
                              Why?? What makes you think that?

Comment

THAT I disagree with. we were 5-4 when Eli took over. And that friggin fumble by Amani killed us in the Bears game. We would have gone up 2 scores and that play turned the whole game. We were dominating up to that point.

The problem with Warner in 2004 was that he was holding the ball way too long. Was he playing well? He was aheck of a lot better than Eli played that season. That Baltimore game might have been the worst performance I've ever seen in an NFL QB.

I disagree that the season was lost. We had a winning record for God's sake. and 8-8 made the playoffs that year.
                                I agree he was better than Manning that year, no question about it. Warner wasnít playing well,the fact that he was better than Manning that year is fastest horse at the glue factory stuff.

Eveything else is just speculation. I didnít see that team going anywhere, even if they got in to the post season at 8-8. Certainly thatís not the same as putting in a young QB at 3-10 but overall itís a meaningless difference to me. The FO wanted to get their heir apparent in so they did.

Comment

Working...
                                X