Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If he wants to be a Giant for life, Eli Manning needs to look to Kurt Warner on how to do things the right way

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

Well my point is that both situations are similar in some ways. Not in every way. But with a QB in waiting (if we draft one) the "plan" would be that the new guy would be the future of the team.
    And both Kurt Warner and Eli Manning will/did have every intention to derail that plan.
    They wouldn't be football players if they didn't.
    I can't see the comparison between the Kurt/Eli and the Eli/#2pick situation

Kerry Collins blew a gasket and didn't want to play looking over his shoulder so the Giants pick up Warner off the scrap heap to fill in while they groomed their future franchise QB ... and also gave Kurt an opportunity to put some work on film for possibly future employment to show he can still play.
    ... everyone ... including Kurt knew that Eli was coming in to play that season ... it was just a matter of when

Eli is a 15 year vet 2X champion with the team who is being heavily endorsed by the new GM and new HC ... if they take a QB at #2 he will play when the season looks to be heading south ... otherwise you will see Eli play.

the only thing similar about these situations is that they deal with young and old QBs ... that's it

it would be slightly more comparable if we were talking about Collins and Manning

I do not believe they would have removed Kerry from the starting lineup if the team was 5-4

Comment

• Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post

Kerry Collins blew a gasket and didn't want to play looking over his shoulder so the Giants pick up Warner off the scrap heap to fill in while they groomed their future franchise QB ... and also gave Kurt an opportunity to put some work on film for possibly future employment to show he can still play.
      ... everyone ... including Kurt knew that Eli was coming in to play that season ... it was just a matter of when

Eli is a 15 year vet 2X champion with the team who is being heavily endorsed by the new GM and new HC ... if they take a QB at #2 he will play when the season looks to be heading south ... otherwise you will see Eli play.

the only thing similar about these situations is that they deal with young and old QBs ... that's it

it would be slightly more comparable if we were talking about Collins and Manning

I do not believe they would have removed Kerry from the starting lineup if the team was 5-4

Well my comparison is that they both are/were not the QB's of the future. Both have the planned QB of the future behind them. And both would have no intention of going quietly.

I guess that's it in a nutshell to me.
      Deny everything. Admit nothing. Make counter accusations.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. G-Man View Post

Let's not forget he had Mcadump coaching him. The guy was trying to change a lot of Eli's mechanics and making him play the Mcadumb way. Of course that would have negative effects to his play but not many choose to take that into consideration.
        I didn't. There are just way too many people with way more football knowledge and experience that say Eli was not the problem and that Eli should remain the "starting" QB of the Giants. No disrespect to anyone here but I will listen to the professionals and not crazy fans on a sports teams opinion forum.

Comment

Well my comparison is that they both are/were not the QB's of the future. Both have the planned QB of the future behind them. And both would have no intention of going quietly.

I guess that's it in a nutshell to me.
          Kurt Warner was here for a cup of coffee.
          Warner was never a strong thinker was he? He was in concussion protocol for half his career it seems.
          Eli should seek counsel if he chooses from a more nuanced, much deeper thinker and maybe that would be helpful.
          Warner? Silly really.....
          That name is just being advance by critics trying to tweak Eli. Transparent in its intent.
          No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

Yup. To compare the situations, Eli would be Collins and be demanding a trade/release. I get Kurt later proved he still had some game, but he didn't when the Giants hired him to babysit Eli.

I also agree if they pick a QB at 2 and if Eli does not perform he will be replaced at some point. But probably not if he is 5-4.

The difference is Collins was not a 2x SB MVP and 14 year Giant. I really dont see the comparison.

Comment

I agree but my question is why is it ok for the #2 to "be the future" but not Webb? I have asked before and will again why is it Webb can't be the future?

Comment

• Originally posted by G1.. View Post

Please go back and do your homework,look and see what I was responding to before you take a partial and try to make a fight out of it.
                blah blah blah.... back and forth... You don't make any sense. I made a comment about Eli shouldnt be playing when we were 2-10, you called me a bot whatever that means, I call you out on it, you tell me to do my homework.

Right on.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post

blah blah blah.... back and forth... You don't make any sense. I made a comment about Eli shouldnt be playing when we were 2-10, you called me a bot whatever that means, I call you out on it, you tell me to do my homework.

Right on.
                  So I was right, thanks.

Comment

Disagree for all the reasons previously sated. No QB could perform well with what Eli has had to deal with the last few years.
                    thats why I said above and beyond the other issues and the game within the game. Disagreeing is fine of course.

"Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

I agree but my question is why is it ok for the #2 to "be the future" but not Webb? I have asked before and will again why is it Webb can't be the future?
                      They wouldn’t draft a QB at #2 if they were convinced that Webb was the future

Comment

If Webb gets lost in the shuffle it will be sad IMO. The mess that was left to these managers is best cleaned up IF(yes I said IF) Webb can be the successor.
                        Although I have been ready to move on from Eli, I don't think that will happen before the start of the season. He will be given every chance to be the starter--whether they draft a QB prospect or not. I don't think they are jerking Eli around to help with draft posturing. I do think they are being mum on Webb to create uncertainty which way they will go in the draft. Too many good things can happen if they conceal their true intentions. They MAY go with a QB, but perhaps theres only one they truly like. If Cleveland takes that guy or accepts a trade then they will go to plan B.
                        I don't look at Eli doing that commercial as a small thing. HE thinks its "business as usual" come camp. If anything else happens I feel he will be shocked.
                        If he has anything left I think we will see it, if they deem him the starter for the next 1 or 2 more seasons then as Giants fans I guess we have to hope for the best.
                        If they draft a QB he MAY end up to be a world beater. If they Don't draft a QB the NY Giants are in a position to turn the roster around quickly.

Comment

• Originally posted by DandyDon View Post

Yup. To compare the situations, Eli would be Collins and be demanding a trade/release. I get Kurt later proved he still had some game, but he didn't when the Giants hired him to babysit Eli.

I also agree if they pick a QB at 2 and if Eli does not perform he will be replaced at some point. But probably not if he is 5-4.

The difference is Collins was not a 2x SB MVP and 14 year Giant. I really dont see the comparison.
                          I just don't get it. There ARE similarities. I am not saying everything is the same. I explained it in very simple terms, yet folks are adding on things that don't have anything to do with my argument.
                          Yes I know it's not EXACTLY the same thing. But we DO have a QB who is NOT the future of the team and we would have the heir apparent behind him.

My point is that the reaction to that by the vet QB is the same........They are determined to STAY as the starter regardless of the "plans" of the team.

I just don't get how this is so difficult to understand.

Comment

I just don't get how this is so difficult to understand.
                            you dont? Its the TAGF board....

The biggest dif I can see is that Warner was NOT part of any future. Not even the immediate or short term future. In that regard Eli is part of the immediate and short term future. 1 season more and maybe 2 but I doubt that.
                            "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                            You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

• Nobody knows right now the conversations that have been had behind closed doors.

No one can say Eli will refuse to stop playing.

What happened in December isn't the same thing at all.....it wasn't handled correctly and was sprung on Eli.

I have hopes that Gettleman Shurmur Mara etc. Are talking openly and honestly to Eli.
                              "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
                              "No...I didn't."
                              "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

• Originally posted by GameTime View Post

you dont? Its the TAGF board....

The biggest dif I can see is that Warner was NOT part of any future. Not even the immediate or short term future. In that regard Eli is part of the immediate and short term future. 1 season more and maybe 2 but I doubt that.
                                And MY point is that Kurt Warner was doing everything he could to change that plan. I promise you despite the plans of the team, he was determined to be the starter of thew Giants regardless. That's what NFL football players do. Especially a guy who had already won a SB and been a league MVP.

Comment

Working...
                                X