Ex-Panther renews war with Giants GM: ‘Your problem now’

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JesseJames View Post
    the only interest I have in Dave Gettleman is what kind of job he does for the Giants...
    +1

Comment

Originally posted by Shimmy View Post
      Nobody is attacking the messenger? Are you alright? No where in my post did I attack the OP. I attacked DeAngelo Williams because he's very ignorant in his remarks. This is the same guy that threw shade at Peyton Manning when he was retiring.

That video perfectly summarizes DeAngelo as a person. Trying way too hard to bring up their own methodical bull**** theories to make their side of the argument sound right. He's a dumbass.
      Is John Beason a dumbass? 'cuz this is what he had to say about the subject...

"According to Beason, it comes down to ego and how Gettleman treated the players -- including Beason, who played for the Panthers from 2007-13. Gettleman traded Beason to the Giants midway through his season as GM.

First things first: Beason was shocked like everyone else.

'Well, I was shocked,' he said. 'You look at what he's been able to accomplish over the last four seasons and the track record speaks for itself. He's made some moves that some people may question, but ultimately, to have the season that they had just two years ago, to be so close to winning the Super Bowl, he had to have done some things well.'

But for Beason, it 'came full circle' given the way he was treated by Gettleman on his way out of Carolina. According to Beason, he wasn't even given a handshake when he was shown the door back in 2013.

'But for me, it kinda came full circle,' he said. 'The way that the trade went down between the Giants and the Panthers when I moved on from the Carolina Panthers, it was done in a way that wasn't classy. I didn't want to be the disgruntled player who's saying this, saying that because he was traded. But at the end of the day, you're a first-round pick, you played extremely well for an organization, you're one of the key guys on the team, a new GM comes in and doesn't even give you a handshake on your way out the door.'

Beason then went on to explain what he's been told about the firing.

'On all accounts, from what I've been told, there's been a lot of disconnect. One, with the draft. There's the disconnect with the way he treats the players. There's disconnect between ownership. Knowing Big Cat, Jerry Richardson, the owner of the Panthers, he's a guy who will not be dictated to at all. He's very fair. I know that when it comes to being general manger, he wants those guys to just go do their thing. But when he has to step in, at some point, there has to be a level of respect there on both parties. And it can't be, "Hey listen, I'm the GM. I'm running it this way. If you don't like it, let me go."'

He continued later: 'There's guys that are on that team, in that locker room, that basically felt like this is who Gettleman was and he was almost on this ego trip.'

What Beason said makes sense -- Gettleman has made a few questionable moves in recent years, like rescinding Josh Norman's franchise tag last year -- and the disconnect between the front office and the players is something that was also reported elsewhere."

Comment

If he drafts Barkley, He's the best GM we ever had!
        Players come and go on the Free Agency Merry-Go-Round, but the N.Y. Giants will always be here!

Comment

I tried to tell you guys this as well long before he was hired here

Dave is not a great guy ...

Comment

Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post

Well he is from Boston...

Comment

I found it alarming how players admittedly on the record said they hate the guy. No matter how you spin it that’s not a good thing, how many general managers in this league get ripped by former players on the record? I’ll tell you, none if any.

He lasted only 4 years in Carolina, that’s troubling. Pretty much his act got so tiresome ownership had to fire him.

And he takes over a team that is fractured in the middle. Players ripping players, not listening to coaches. Lack of talent, he has his hands full. And I think his no-nonsense attitude doesn’t work with today’s athletes.

And let’s be honest, did he get hired for he was the best man for the job? Or because he was a familiar face within the organization?

Comment

Can you elaborate?

Comment

Originally posted by primetime View Post
                  I found it alarming how players admittedly on the record said they hate the guy. No matter how you spin it that’s not a good thing, how many general managers in this league get ripped by former players on the record? I’ll tell you, none if any.

He lasted only 4 years in Carolina, that’s troubling. Pretty much his act got so tiresome ownership had to fire him.

And he takes over a team that is fractured in the middle. Players ripping players, not listening to coaches. Lack of talent, he has his hands full. And I think his no-nonsense attitude doesn’t work with today’s athletes.

And let’s be honest, did he get hired for he was the best man for the job? Or because he was a familiar face within the organization?
                  Well we found out the hard way that being easy on players doesn't work either. I guess it boils down to getting players with something between the ears and not hollow!
                  Players come and go on the Free Agency Merry-Go-Round, but the N.Y. Giants will always be here!

Comment

Originally posted by Bronxpinstripes View Post

Only a fool ignores the warnings of those in a better position to know. Doesn't mean that we will necessarily end up feeling the same way, but...it's a bit concerning.
                    What exactly is concerning?

That DG cuts old veterans who don't perform up to their salaries and name recognition?

That DG doesn't get emotional and care if you played through injuries in the past and gives you more money?

This is probably the best news you could hear about a gm. Especially for this organization that has trotted out dinosaurs who completely underperform in the past.

This is a multi billion dollar business. What have you done lately?

Comment

Originally posted by bigjeep View Post
                      If he drafts Barkley, He's the best GM we ever had!
                      Considering our current QB situation, if he drafts a running back with the #2 overall, then...he's a jerk AND a fool.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronxpinstripes View Post

Considering our current QB situation, if he drafts a running back with the #2 overall, then...he's a jerk AND a fool.
                        Yeah he would be a jerk and a fool for wanting to draft a starter with the 2nd pick. Insane even
                        Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN

“I wrote after the combine that Engram was entering the first-round discussion, and I've moved him above David Njoku as my second-ranked tight end. … He put up the best 40 time (4.42) among tight ends and the fourth-best vertical (36 inches) at the combine. At 6-3, 234, Engram had 65 catches for 925 yards and eight touchdowns in 2016.”

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy_Ribs View Post
                          Look, Gettelman ran the Panthers the best way he saw fit. All of these guys have a shelf like.

DeAngelo is a terrific RB, WHEN he is healthy, which is not often.

Steve Smith HAD to be let go. Cam Newton needed to take a step forward as a leader, and he couldn't do it with Steve Smith here.

It was similar to Shockey/Eli here.

As fans, I think we should be glad that we will have a GM that will make the very difficult decisions.

I like Marty Hurney too, but Hurney put that ream in Salary Cap hell, and Dave had a big mess to clean up there.

Dave is the right guy for the right job.

And don't forget, the Mara's and the GIANTS treat their players well. Dave will be told what is expected of him too.

Don;t worry about Dave, be glad he is here. He is going to fix this.
                          And remember when the board was so happy we signed Chris Canty and one of the Cowboys lurkers said, "good riddance" and we all laughed him for being bitter. Well, it turns out he was right.

http://boards.giants.com/showthread....est-game/page6
                          http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2554_A_brief,_fact-filled_history_of_the_NFL_passing_game.html
                          http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8732732/is-new-york-giants-qb-eli-manning-worthy-hall-fame-espn-magazine

Entire Team Let Eli down today - NYG4l

Comment

I dont like every manager I work for. Doesn't mean they aren't great at what they do.

Comment

I literally laugh out loud when I read comments like this...I am am not saying he's not a complete jerk...But, how would anyone here or any fan know what type of guy he he is? Have you ever met him? Have you ever had a discussion with him? Have you met numerous people that know the person? Or are you just speculating from some "articles" you read or some comments that some ex players said?

Not to mention...Who really cares? He's the GM of a NFL football team. I want some people to hate him. It means he's doing his job. He's not being hired to manage a restaurant.

Comment

Love the gettlemean hire even more after reading this thread!

any GM that cuts josh norman outright is O.K. in my book!
                                Last edited by bigpoppy; 01-30-2018, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X