Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steve Spagnuolo: Big Blue will always run through my veins despite NY Giants parting ways

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Roswell View Post

I’ll be happy to debate you as to his ability as a DC for the NY Giants. We’ve both seen all of those games.

As for the years on the Rams - irrelevant. He was the HC.

As for his term with NO- did you watch those games? No? Me either. So to me they are poor numbers but in a vacuum.

We can only intelligently debate his NY tenure. Because that is what we’ve both witnessed firsthand.

So let’s evaluate what we’ve seen. 5 yrs total, 3 dominating Ds. This year a disappointment in both performance and W/L. And it essentially cost him his job. And at this point a change should be made. Bring in the 3-4 guy. It will be interesting to watch the Giants try and trot out 4 LBs when they don’t even have 3 for about 10 years running.

2015 - absolutely miserable numbers. Bet you didn’t realize that only 11 of the 65 players who played on the defensive side of the ball for the 2015 NY Giants are still in the NFL. Look it up if you don’t believe me. 11 out of 65. That’s 54 guys out of football 2 years later. So spare me the 2015 stats unless you want to fill in the blanks about his roster.

2015. Bad numbers, check. Bad players, check. Not excuses. Facts.

So, actually, it’s quite amazing the job Spags did in 2016 with admittedly some expensive FA signings. These guys were basically strangers to his system and each other and he got them to mesh. Not as easy as you might think.. Many teams have “won the offseason” and fell flat on their faces in the regular season.

And now, you’re thinking, what about the playoff game? What about the Hail Mary? What about the fact that on the road the best QB in football that year lit them up without their best pass rusher, without DRC, without a healthy Jenkins or Snacks? Well, it happens. His D didn’t carry the team to the SB.

Worst DC ever? Not even close. Please don’t quote me numbers in a vacuum again.

It’s tired, it’s old, and it’s inaccurate.

There you go Morehead. And I didn’t even really go into detail about the lights out 07 and 08 years. Long time ago. Different game. They don’t count. What was it? No big deal. He had 3 “almost” HOFers.

In 08, Osi was out for the year and Strahan was retired and banging Eddie Murphy’s ex on a beach in Greece. So, I guess he had 1 almost HOFer, whatever that means...

In 07, it was his design that shut down what was the best O ever and quite possibly the best team ever. Not the kind of stuff you’d expect out of the “worst DC ever.”

The floor is yours.....
    I must add that Tim Lewis also had the same three defensive ends in 2005 and 2006 and didn't know how to use them or the talent he had around them the way Spags did.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

I'm looking forward to having a defense that doesn't get torched regularly.
      That all became possible when we hired a new guy to go look for talent.....I couldn't help myself. Damn it!
      No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

Hey.....If I'm going to be insulted..I would prefer that they be as clear as possible.
        Kind of a pet peeve with me.
        It's all good I'm just making light of it...

Comment

• Originally posted by Eli_QB10 View Post

It's all good I'm just making light of it...
          As well you should. None of this is to be taken seriously.
          Deny everything. Admit nothing. Make counter accusations.

Comment

• Originally posted by jomo View Post

That all became possible when we hired a new guy to go look for talent.....I couldn't help myself. Damn it!
            What has me fascinated by this thread is than if you switched the topic from Spags to Reese, every single poster would instantly switch positions, and the whole thread would essentially be a mirror image.
            Congratulations to #usawomanshockey! Not only for winning the Gold Medal, but for leading announcers to utter a phrase never heard before: "their arch rival Canada"

Comment

• Has Spags gotten a sniff for another job? Haven't seen anything reported.

Comment

• Originally posted by Delicreep View Post

What has me fascinated by this thread is than if you switched the topic from Spags to Reese, every single poster would instantly switch positions, and the whole thread would essentially be a mirror image.
                You are a wise man sir. If I had started a thread praising Jerry for loving the Giants all these same folks would be trashing him.
                Maybe it's best to just express our opinions honestly. Deal with the case being made and not constantly question everyone's motives.

Comment

Absolutely not. I think his scheme worked a lot better 10 years ago when we had 3 HOF or near HOF D linemen. I think in an era with fewer mobile QB's back then, you could get away with playing a lot of press cover, with so many guys with their backs to the QB. In today's league where they call any contact downfield, you can't be as physical in coverage, which his scheme requires.

Spags philosophy requires a great pass rush and tight coverage downfield. It falls apart if he can't dial in a pass rush. Why do you think the Packers took up apart last year. They could have put up 50 on us if they needed to. They were lost out there when it counted the most.

Mobile QB's tear up Spags scheme. Earlier this year, when our guys were healthy, our D blew three 4th quarter leads in three weeks, vs. Philly, TB and LAC.
                  Those blown leads ended our season. So as nice a guys as Steve Spagnuolo is, he failed this team miserably. Then add the fact that three of HIS guys on defense got suspended for a game each for bad behavior.

I'm sorry, I want a guy who gets the most out of his players. Not a guy who provides excuse after excuse for failure.
                  You think his scheme worked better 10 years ago? Did you notice that the rankings I provided were from 2016 season? Also - you say "Spags Philosophy" - like you know it. You don't. Every DC relies on a " .... great pass rush and tight end coverage downfield." One of the most important things about a DC is his ability to understand how the offenses are working in real game time situations and make adjustments. Spags was the best at that. And if he's a guy that ".... doesn't get the most out of his players" how did he manage to have "...3 HOF or near HOF D linemen"?

The fact that you say "..... he failed his team miserably..." and that Spags is "..... a guy who provides excuse after excuse for failure" tells me that you are uninformed and just engaging in argumentative behavior. Therefore your opinion is to be taken very lightly. But that's ok - in the end we're all Giants fans and maybe I've helped you learn something here so that you can become a better, more knowledgable fan.
                  "It's nice to see arrogance humbled" - Wellington Mara

Comment

• Originally posted by pathas View Post

You think his scheme worked better 10 years ago? Did you notice that the rankings I provided were from 2016 season? Also - you say "Spags Philosophy" - like you know it. You don't. Every DC relies on a " .... great pass rush and tight end coverage downfield." One of the most important things about a DC is his ability to understand how the offenses are working in real game time situations and make adjustments. Spags was the best at that. And if he's a guy that ".... doesn't get the most out of his players" how did he manage to have "...3 HOF or near HOF D linemen"?

The fact that you say "..... he failed his team miserably..." and that Spags is "..... a guy who provides excuse after excuse for failure" tells me that you are uninformed and just engaging in argumentative behavior. Therefore your opinion is to be taken very lightly. But that's ok - in the end we're all Giants fans and maybe I've helped you learn something here so that you can become a better, more knowledgable fan.
                    Your point about Spags providing excuses is well taken. It's not Spags who is supplying the excuses. I can't pin that on him It's his supporters here, who supply endless excuses.

Yes our 2016 defense did well. Probably the least injured defense in football. But ultimately, just like 2008, it fell apart when it was needed the most.

Comment

Your point about Spags providing excuses is well taken. It's not Spags who is supplying the excuses. I can't pin that on him It's his supporters here, who supply endless excuses.

Yes our 2016 defense did well. Probably the least injured defense in football. But ultimately, just like 2008, it fell apart when it was needed the most.
                      You spent so much time talking smack about Spags for a few years now. When it comes to Reese the same rule obviously does not apply. You remember him for the 2 rings but Spags? No you remember him for the time in STL lol. Such a hater man. Spags deserves more credit for 2007 alone than Reese decade long tenure as GM.

Comment

• Spags is the man, I'm going to keep posting that everyday this thread stays on the front page lol

Comment

• Originally posted by nycowns View Post
                          Spags is the man, I'm going to keep posting that everyday this thread stays on the front page lol
                          LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by nycowns View Post
                            Spags is the man, I'm going to keep posting that everyday this thread stays on the front page lol
                            And I'll keep posting to make sure it does.

Comment

And I'll keep posting to make sure it does.
                              Spags led the best 3 Giant defenses this team has seen in over 25 years. Show some respect.

Comment

• Originally posted by dezzzR View Post

Spags led the best 3 Giant defenses this team has seen in over 25 years. Show some respect.
                                Stop it Dezz.

Comment

Working...
                                X