No announcement yet.

The Two Bills

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parcells style would never work in todays game with all these spoiled over sensitive athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by repeatchamps View Post

The Two Bills episode of 30 for 30 was phenomenal. Something related to your post is the only thing I was disappointed to not get an answer to. Many here can guess what that is without me mentioning it but basically a question was asked at one point when they were talking about Belichick going to Cleveland. The interviewer asked the following:

Interviewer to Belichick: "Did Bill (Parcells) tell you that he was going to resign?"
      Belichick answer: "No."

They then just moved on. How can the next obvious follow up question not be asked:

To Belichick, "If Bill had told you the day after the Super Bowl that he was resigning, would you have still taken the Cleveland job or would you have taken the head coaching job with the Giants as you for sure would have been offered it?"

This question has never been answered for more than 25 years now. No sane interviewer/reporter in this situation would have not had this question lined up as the next question after the one that was asked.

Only explanation is the two Bills did not allow the question and that hurts. It's like a stake to the heart of all Giants fans. The two of them claim to love the Giants organization and the fans so much but have never felt the need to answer that question. Not cool.
      Carl Banks said Young made it clear that he didn't want Belichick as the next the Giants next coach.

Comment

great episode! giants fan since 84 when i was 5 and i still remember those teams like it was yesterday.

what was missed among the interviews was coughlin take on the two, which would've nice to hear.

belichick still has a soft spot for the giants as well as parcells.

and for the people that think the current giants is no longer a flagship franchise only has to look at their history of coaches and players, which i think is second to none.

Comment

Originally posted by Roosevelt View Post

Carl Banks said Young made it clear that he didn't want Belichick as the next the Giants next coach.
          Lol. I do not buy that. If Parcells resigned the day after the Super Bowl, the dominoes would have fallen fast and the entire front office would have been in a panic and would have been involved in deciding what to do next and I am positive they would have hired Belichick on the spot for the sake of continuity. If Belichick would have said no, I have to believe it would have been Coughlin (though this would be a big risk at the time but no bigger than picking Handley). This is the conservative Mara's we're talking about here. If what Banks is saying is true, then that would mean they would have preferred hiring Handley (a lowly RB's coach) over Belichick (the best defensive coordinator in the NFL) if they had the opportunity to choose between the two. Sorry that is just too ridiculous to believe.
          Last edited by repeatchamps; 02-02-2018, 12:43 PM.
          Over 7000 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35

Comment

Originally posted by NYtoSanDiego View Post
            great episode! giants fan since 84 when i was 5 and i still remember those teams like it was yesterday.

what was missed among the interviews was coughlin take on the two, which would've nice to hear.

and for the people that think the current giants is no longer a flagship franchise only has to look at their history of coaches and players, which i think is second to none.
            Yes I too noticed that and was disappointed by him not weighing in.
            Over 7000 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35

Comment

Lol. I do not buy that. If Parcells resigned the day after the Super Bowl, the dominoes would have fallen fast and the entire front office would have been in a panic and would have been involved in deciding what to do next and I am positive they would have hired Belichick on the spot for the sake of continuity. If Belichick would have said no, I have to believe it would have been Coughlin (though this would be a big risk at the time but no bigger than picking Handley). This is the conservative Mara's we're talking about here. If what Banks is saying is true, then that would mean they would have preferred hiring Handley (a lowly RB's coach) over Belichick (the best defensive coordinator in the NFL) if they had the opportunity to choose between the two. Sorry that is just too ridiculous to believe.
              as much as we like to play what ifs there's no guarantees that belichick would've done well after the 90 season. and there are some truths spoken by players about young not liking him but it would've been nice to hear from both bills about the topic. cause i agree if parcells retired after the SB25 ownership and young would give belichick a serious look regardless of what they thought of him.

also its not just belichick they lost soon after the SB25 but they also lost coughlin to BC.

Comment

Just a reminder for Giants fans to watch Parcells and Belichick talking Giants and football from inside MetLife tonight at 9:00 EST on ESPN.
                Missed it..Ive heard rave reviews...will have to catch the encore showing...

Comment

as much as we like to play what ifs there's no guarantees that belichick would've done well after the 90 season. and there are some truths spoken by players about young not liking him but it would've been nice to hear from both bills about the topic. cause i agree if parcells retired after the SB25 ownership and young would give belichick a serious look regardless of what they thought of him.

also its not just belichick they lost soon after the SB25 but they also lost coughlin to BC.
                  Guarantee they talked about the question before the airing of the episode and both Bills didn't allow it to be asked. No interviewer or reporter in that situation would not have that question lined up as a follow up to the one that was actually asked. No matter what the answer is, it would have put both of them in an awkward position and regardless of the answer Parcells comes up looking awful either way and since they are now on the mend, they do not want to stir the pot again.

Think about it:

Belichick answers no, he would have turned it down. Ramifications of that answer:

It looks as if he wanted out of Parcells' shadow instead of inheriting something special they created together. That is pretty hurtful to Parcells. It also spurns the entire Giants fan base and organization that he didn't want to coach here anymore. Considering what Belichick accomplished eventually with New England, that is a piercing answer.

Belichick answers yes, he would have taken it. Ramifications of that answer:

Violent outrage amongst the Giants fans against Parcells for purposely waiting until Belichick left to quit. It is something the fans assumed he had done but had no viable proof that was the true intention. The yes answer proves that was what was done which again makes Parcells look awful.

There really is nothing good that could come out of it for Belichick to give any answer to that question other than I don't know. Even that is like what do you mean you don't know? No one would really believe he doesn't know but rather just won't say which just keeps us in the dark which is where we have been for the last 25 years already. Nice way to still tick off the fan base and organization for not answering that question. So, it's simple, don't allow the question to be asked in the first place because any interviewer/reporter in that spot for sure had the question lined up to be asked.
                  Last edited by repeatchamps; 02-02-2018, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Just finished watching "The two Bills" and leaving this comment before reading others.

WOW!!!!! I wasn't even a teenager during the 86 season and just entered my teens during the 1990 season. I grew up in brooklyn, ny and loved the giants but didn't know of all the nuisances regarding the organizational structure and how indepth their relationship was. There's a lot i didn't know or remembered and watching this gave me even more of an appreciation, not only for Bill parcels but for Belichick as well.

Both men needed each other.

Parcells given Belichick an opportunity to learn from him, groom him and build off of that foundation. Belichick masterminding the defenses that shut down high powered offenses giving the giants and Parcells an opportunity to win those two superbowls, because of the foundation Parcells provided early on. I was amazed to see just how much of a role Belichick played in the defensive strategies...Just brilliant!! It explains a lot as to why he and the patriots are so successful. Not only on the defensive side of the ball but on the offensive side as well. He is able to show Tom Brady exactly what he sees and how to exploit the oppositions weaknesses and tendencies. I believe Tom was able to pick that up quickly, having the intellectual means to take that information that Bill analyzed and then process and execute it with Bill's Assistance. After time, Brady was then able to Analyze, process and execute for himself and that has lead to much of his success incorporated with Bill's game plan.

One can only imagine what exactly would have happened if Parcells stepped down before Belichick took the Cleveland job. Would he have been successful, who knows. but he would have had Parcells there for guidance and probably a longer leash than what Cleveland gave him.

also, it appears Parcells is the reason why Belichick left the jets? The fact he didnt inform Belichick that Robert Kraft wanted to interview him for NE head coaching job started, IMO, the fallout of their relationship.

Good watch and i thoroughly enjoyed it.

Now to read others thoughts.
                    Last edited by dmighty326; 02-02-2018, 01:37 PM.
                    That's why we discuss, We all have different perspectives. Ride and Die with the NY Giants

Comment

Anybody know where I can view this? (I don't have ESPN)

Comment

The Two Bills episode of 30 for 30 was phenomenal. Something related to your post is the only thing I was disappointed to not get an answer to. Many here can guess what that is without me mentioning it but basically a question was asked at one point when they were talking about Belichick going to Cleveland. The interviewer asked the following:

Interviewer to Belichick: "Did Bill (Parcells) tell you that he was going to resign?"
                        Belichick answer: "No."

They then just moved on. How can the next obvious follow up question not be asked:

To Belichick, "If Bill had told you the day after the Super Bowl that he was resigning, would you have still taken the Cleveland job or would you have taken the head coaching job with the Giants as you for sure would have been offered it?"

This question has never been answered for more than 25 years now. No sane interviewer/reporter in this situation would have not had this question lined up as the next question after the one that was asked.

Only explanation is the two Bills did not allow the question and that hurts. It's like a stake to the heart of all Giants fans. The two of them claim to love the Giants organization and the fans so much but have never felt the need to answer that question. Not cool.
                        I was so looking forward to that answer. To me, it appeared Bill may have wanted his pupil to remain the pupil. Sort of like the power struggle now, who gets the credit, Bill or Brady. That same dimension possibly existed then. Maybe parcells at that time didnt want Belichick to be in command, in fear that,he in fact would have been conceived as the mastermind behind Parcells Success???

That's why we discuss, We all have different perspectives. Ride and Die with the NY Giants

Comment

in the 30 for 30? I must have missed that.

Comment

Regarding Coughlin, I was expecting the same at some point and was surprised. Wonder if he was even asked to provide for the piece. I have to imagine he was and if so, why would he decline... or maybe it just wasnt include...

Comment

Excellent show. I couldn't turn away. What struck me was the back and forth accolades they gave each other--very much like family that had become estranged for awhile. I appreciated BB saying when he went to the Pats it was easy to win as he inherited "Parcells type players".

Comment

Originally posted by dmighty326 View Post

in the 30 for 30? I must have missed that.
                                No wasn't on 30 for 30. Has been mentioned by Banks in the past. I don't buy this to the point that it wouldn't have worked out that BB would get the job per my response to Rosie and NYtoSanDiego's response to me thereafter.

Comment

Working...
                                X