The Two Bills

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by repeatchamps View Post

Guarantee they talked about the question before the airing of the episode and both Bills didn't allow it to be asked. No interviewer or reporter in that situation would not have that question lined up as a follow up to the one that was actually asked. No matter what the answer is, it would have put both of them in an awkward position and regardless of the answer Parcells comes up looking awful either way and since they are now on the mend, they do not want to stir the pot again.

Think about it:

Belichick answers no, he would have turned it down. Ramifications of that answer:

It looks as if he wanted out of Parcells' shadow instead of inheriting something special they created together. That is pretty hurtful to Parcells. It also spurns the entire Giants fan base and organization that he didn't want to coach here anymore. Considering what Belichick accomplished eventually with New England, that is a piercing answer.

Belichick answers yes, he would have taken it. Ramifications of that answer:

Violent outrage amongst the Giants fans against Parcells for purposely waiting until Belichick left to quit. It is something the fans assumed he had done but had no viable proof that was the true intention. The yes answer proves that was what was done which again makes Parcells look awful.

There really is nothing good that could come out of it for Belichick to give any answer to that question other than I don't know. Even that is like what do you mean you don't know? No one would really believe he doesn't know but rather just won't say which just keeps us in the dark which is where we have been for the last 25 years already. Nice way to still tick off the fan base and organization for not answering that question. So, it's simple, don't allow the question to be asked in the first place because any interviewer/reporter in that spot for sure had the question lined up to be asked.
    i like all your points but of the two chances of succeeding parcells the 91 season would've been the best opportunity. not just because of the players but he would be a first time head coach. the experience with browns and reuniting with parcells after i think is when he realized he wanted to get out of the shadow of parcells.

Comment

Originally posted by NYtoSanDiego View Post

i like all your points but of the two chances of succeeding parcells the 91 season would've been the best opportunity. not just because of the players but he would be a first time head coach. the experience with browns and reuniting with parcells after i think is when he realized he wanted to get out of the shadow of parcells.
      Agree with you 100%. The answer of No would be pretty spurning to Parcells, the organization and the fans. Why burn that bridge particularly if you are known to laud/revere the Giants with great emotion. The answer of yes would just tick off Tuna and cause outrage against his mentor amongst the Giants fans. Not the best thing to do when you are trying to mend your relationship with someone who you've been showing gratitude to your whole career and again during this particular interview while sitting right next to the guy!

The answer given no matter what it is, is a lose-lose for Belichick and Parcells. Any fool reporter would have it lined up though. I am positive the question was not approved by either coach as a question that would be allowed to be asked. Also it is a hypothetical question and both coaches are notorious for hating that kind of question and have never reacted well to hypotheticals in the past.

Perhaps in Belichick's memoirs when he is close to being on his death bed we will one day get the answer.
      Last edited by repeatchamps; 02-02-2018, 02:29 PM.
      Over 7000 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35

Comment

Originally posted by nycowns View Post
        Parcells style would never work in todays game with all these spoiled over sensitive athletes.
        It works with the Patriots.

Comment

Just looked it up.......replaying Sunday 1230pm on ESPN 2. I missed it the first time. Looking forward to seeing it. Set the DVR!

Comment

crap i missed it
            they usually play these multiple times though...hopefully lol

*ooh, im a starter now* hoooooray.. lol
            Last edited by JediGiant; 02-02-2018, 03:58 PM. Reason: starter edit :P

Comment

It was a great show and I hope this makes the 'Belichick and the Pats cheat" crowd calm down a bit. Stealing signals, deflated balls, blah blah blah. C'mon. The guy is a great coach and has the QB to implement his plan. They're one of the greatest if not the greatest dynasty (because they're doing it in the cap era) of all time. Just accept it. Always remember, we beat them twice for the title. We've done pretty good. Let's get a good draft and get going !
              Last edited by TonyDee; 02-02-2018, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

I'm not going to get into an argument about it. I just think that Parcells was a great HC.

Let me ask you this......What is BB's record without Tom Brady?.......I'll answer...WAY less than .500. It's even under .500 in New England without Tom.

We can go on forever with this. They are both great coaches but to me Parcells is the better overall head coach. That's just my opinion.
                I don't think it is - they went 5-11 his rookie year when Bill had just taken over and they were a mess. They went 11-5 the year Brady went down in week one and were 3-1 during his suspension. The 2000 season drags the record down but it's still above 500

Comment

Pacells was a Great Head Coach becuase he knew how to teach ,Belichick is the same but he is the best Football coach ever ,that show just confirmed it.

Comment

Watch online

http://www.espn.com/watch/collection...-the-two-bills

Great show.
                    Last edited by DandyDon; 02-03-2018, 01:00 PM.

Comment

I am hoping that next year (and the next couple of years) we get to see the Patriots without Belichick but still with Brady. That would be the solution to all this nonsense. Of course, them being together helped, but if you are telling me Brady is more important to that franchise than Beli, you havent been paying attention. Brady is a great QB of course, but he isnt winning SBs without Belichick. Bill's undeniable ability to get his players ready and motivated is tops in the league by far. He has the ability to make average players great. Sure, I guess Brady can still be good, but he wont be winning titles. The rest of the team would fall off too. The discipline, the details, the determination, the way to act, the belief, it all goes out the window once Belichick leaves.

Comment

Originally posted by dmighty326 View Post

I was so looking forward to that answer. To me, it appeared Bill may have wanted his pupil to remain the pupil. Sort of like the power struggle now, who gets the credit, Bill or Brady. That same dimension possibly existed then. Maybe parcells at that time didnt want Belichick to be in command, in fear that,he in fact would have been conceived as the mastermind behind Parcells Success???
                        I donít think thereís really any debate about Bill or Brady. Bradyís a great QB but you canít compare the scope of their respective roles.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post
                          I am hoping that next year (and the next couple of years) we get to see the Patriots without Belichick but still with Brady. That would be the solution to all this nonsense. Of course, them being together helped, but if you are telling me Brady is more important to that franchise than Beli, you havent been paying attention. Brady is a great QB of course, but he isnt winning SBs without Belichick. Bill's undeniable ability to get his players ready and motivated is tops in the league by far. He has the ability to make average players great. Sure, I guess Brady can still be good, but he wont be winning titles. The rest of the team would fall off too. The discipline, the details, the determination, the way to act, the belief, it all goes out the window once Belichick leaves.
                          ^ This ^

I have a video of Two Bills now and am looking forward to watching it.

Comment

I just sat down and watched this. It is well worth viewing. I recommend it to everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Essex Blue View Post

I don't think it is - they went 5-11 his rookie year when Bill had just taken over and they were a mess. They went 11-5 the year Brady went down in week one and were 3-1 during his suspension. The 2000 season drags the record down but it's still above 500
                              Yes they were 11-5 coming off a 16-0 season...and they missed the playoffs. BB is a great coach but the facts are the facts.
                              He was 5-11 his first year...then 0-2 to begin his second. Mo Lewis takes out Drew Bledsoe and Tom Brady became the starter week 3. They went 14-3 and won the SB.
                              Do you really think that magically BB became a great coach the exact moment Tom Brady took over? If you do then I can't talk you out of it.

Did you watch the Jax game two weeks ago? That was all Brady.

As for Parcells.....He's the best HC I ever saw. My view that he is a better HC than Belichick is more about Parcells than Belichick. They are both tremendously flawed human beings. Both petty and small at times. That they DO have in common. But as a head coach...I've never seen a guy get as much out of his players as Parcells did.
                              Deny everything. Admit nothing. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Phenomenal watch
                                Iíll be viewing again for sure

one thing I wish they covered which I spoke to Carl Banks about very recently was that George Young had zero intentions of hiring Belichick... even if Parcells had not dragged his feet ... even if Bill had not gone to Cleveland

George did not like Belichick very much and never envisioned him as the HC of the NY Giants

so for all the credit that George Young gets ... he sure had his faults

Comment

Working...
                                X