The Two Bills

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

I'm not going to get into an argument about it. I just think that Parcells was a great HC.

Let me ask you this......What is BB's record without Tom Brady?.......I'll answer...WAY less than .500. It's even under .500 in New England without Tom.

We can go on forever with this. They are both great coaches but to me Parcells is the better overall head coach. That's just my opinion.
    As I look back, I would state that Tom Coughlin is a better HC than Tuna Fat.

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

As for Parcells.....He's the best HC I ever saw. My view that he is a better HC than Belichick is more about Parcells than Belichick. They are both tremendously flawed human beings. Both petty and small at times. That they DO have in common. But as a head coach...I've never seen a guy get as much out of his players as Parcells did.
      I think I agree with this.

Wasn't it Steve DeOssie who said that Parcells made him want to "run through walls" for him?
      Last edited by scoostraw; 02-04-2018, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post
        Phenomenal watch

one thing I wish they covered which I spoke to Carl Banks about very recently was that George Young had zero intentions of hiring Belichick...
        Speaking of Banks, I had completely forgotten that both Carl Banks and Pepper Johnson went to Cleveland. (And Carl Banks to the redskins as well) Painful memories of how the Giants team of 1990 was dismantled..

Comment

To here LT say that B.B. should’ve never left here. Makes you really think things over. BB would probably have 4/5 SB wins here in NY.

Comment

Originally posted by jintslifer1 View Post
            To here LT say that B.B. should’ve never left here. Makes you really think things over. BB would probably have 4/5 SB wins here in NY.
            Not with Dave Brown he wouldn't have.

Comment

Originally posted by scoostraw View Post
              Speaking of Banks, I had completely forgotten that both Carl Banks and Pepper Johnson went to Cleveland. (And Carl Banks to the redskins as well) Painful memories of how the Giants team of 1990 was dismantled..
              So many of those great players from the 1980s left when free agency was an avenue for players to make more money elsewhere. In 3 seasons we lost LT and Simms to retirement. Leonard Marshall to the Jets, Banks and Pepper to the Browns, Erik Howard to the Jets, Greg Jackson to the Eagles, Mark Collins to the Chiefs, Myron Guyton to the Patriots with Dave Meggett. Bavaro due to his knees went to the Browns, Bart Oates to the 49ers, Jumbo to the Jets, William Roberts to the Patriots. Reasons to the Bengals, Ingram to the Dolphins, Doug Riesenberg to the Bucs.

Thats 3/4 of the team from the 1990 championship gone. In 3 seasons, very tough to deal with from a fans perspective.

Comment

I recall that in December 1990 the Giants were playing a home game against the Vikings and Parcells was hospitalized on Friday or Saturday with a kidney stone, and it was questionable whether he was going to make the game (he eventually did). When it was suggested to him that Belichek would coach the team in his absence, he reportedly said "No. Handley". I remember being very surprised by that comment. So it may have been both Young and Parcells who doubted Belichek's ability to lead the team. And also that they both saw something that made them think Handley had what it took (remember that this team also had Erhardt, Coughlin, Groh, and Crennel on the staff.).
                So while it seems in retrospect that Belichek should have been the obvious choice had Parcells resigned immediately after the Super Bowl, they might have ended up picking Handley anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by scoostraw View Post

Not with Dave Brown he wouldn't have.
                  Simms would have been the QB in 1991, 1992 and 1993 with Belichick as the head coach. Would they have won 4 in a row, probably not but who knows. If they were a better squad with Belichick-Simms instead of Handley-Hostetler and Reeves-Simms who knows what would have happened in the drafts and what not. Dave Brown may have never been picked by the Giants under a longer term Belichick-Simms regime.
                  Last edited by repeatchamps; 02-05-2018, 04:35 PM.
                  Over 7000 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35

Comment

Originally posted by schloss22 View Post
                    I recall that in December 1990 the Giants were playing a home game against the Vikings and Parcells was hospitalized on Friday or Saturday with a kidney stone, and it was questionable whether he was going to make the game (he eventually did). When it was suggested to him that Belichek would coach the team in his absence, he reportedly said "No. Handley". I remember being very surprised by that comment. So it may have been both Young and Parcells who doubted Belichek's ability to lead the team. And also that they both saw something that made them think Handley had what it took (remember that this team also had Erhardt, Coughlin, Groh, and Crennel on the staff.).
                    So while it seems in retrospect that Belichek should have been the obvious choice had Parcells resigned immediately after the Super Bowl, they might have ended up picking Handley anyway.
                    Charlie Weis too. It would be hard to believe that it would be Handley over Belichick. After the Super Bowl especially, the perspective would be a lot different than that Vikes game especially with the threat Belichick could go to Cleveland.
                    Last edited by repeatchamps; 02-05-2018, 04:42 PM.
                    Over 7000 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35

Comment

Originally posted by primetime View Post
                      So many of those great players from the 1980s left when free agency was an avenue for players to make more money elsewhere. In 3 seasons we lost LT and Simms to retirement. Leonard Marshall to the Jets, Banks and Pepper to the Browns, Erik Howard to the Jets, Greg Jackson to the Eagles, Mark Collins to the Chiefs, Myron Guyton to the Patriots with Dave Meggett. Bavaro due to his knees went to the Browns, Bart Oates to the 49ers, Jumbo to the Jets, William Roberts to the Patriots. Reasons to the Bengals, Ingram to the Dolphins, Doug Riesenberg to the Bucs.

Thats 3/4 of the team from the 1990 championship gone. In 3 seasons, very tough to deal with from a fans perspective.
                      If the coaching situation had been better with someone like Belichick at the helm, the majority of this would never have happened.

Comment

Why so emotional at the beginning...almost tears! Not what you would expect from Belichick

Comment

Originally posted by PennState1 View Post
                          Why so emotional at the beginning...almost tears! Not what you would expect from Belichick
                          you referring to the footage from '09 at Giants Stadium when he was touring the meeting rooms?

Comment

Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post

you referring to the footage from '09 at Giants Stadium when he was touring the meeting rooms?
                            Yes, when he was talking about how much time he spent there

Comment

Originally posted by PennState1 View Post
                              BB has said he knows that's where he got his first real opportunity. Many of us have reached some level of achievement and can relate to the "journey being greater than the destination." When you first discover that you are really good at something, the gratification is never greater. BB talks like he's just as proud of the rings as an assistant with the Giants as the ones he won as a HC. That period was his "wonder years."

Comment

I get it now as I just finished the show...AMAZING! So much to take away from this and much I didn’t fully understand. This show was extremely well done!

Comment

Working...
                                X