Optimistic about the Giants defense in 2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optimistic about the Giants defense in 2018

I really like everything I've heard about Bettcher so far. I see he uses a 3-4 base, but I think that could actually be a better fit for the Giants personnel.

Snacks is a natural fit at NT, Tomlinson played some 3-4 DE at Bama, and I think JPP will probably be the other guy on the D-Line. He actually has decent enough size at 6'5, 285lbs to play up front in a 3-4, and he has always been good against the run. Robert Thomas should be tendered and brought back as the backup to Snacks. He is 6'2, 325 and has done well when he has played as a run-stuffer so he can play inside.

At LB, I think Vernon is a way better fit as a stand-up rusher in a 3-4 than he is playing in a 4-3 in a 3 point stance. According to PFF, he has been at his best as a stand-up rusher (https://twitter.com/PFF_Smith/status/956022941480816640). I think Kennard would be a solid fit on the other side should he be re-signed.

Goodson hopefully can stay healthy on the inside, and I think the Giants should look to sign a guy like Kevin Minter, who had a strong 2015 and 2016 season as an ILB in Bettchers system. Then, grab a guy in round 2 or 3 in the draft. If Rashaan Evans slips to round 2, he would be a great pick. I also think Alabama's other ILB, Shaun Dion Hamilton, would be a great value and fit. He has been injured, and could be had in round 6 or as a UDFA according to projections. Another guy I like is Uchenna Nwosu, a good edge player from USC who is being severely underrated in the draft IMO. He could be had in round 3 or 4 according to projections right now.

DL Tomlinson
    NT Snacks
    DL JPP

OLB Vernon
    ILB Goodson
    ILB Minter (FA), Draft pick
    OLB Kennard, Draft pick

FS Thompson/Adams
    SS Collins
    CB Jenkins, Apple, Cockrell/DRC. Draft pick

Working...
X