Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bronxpinstripes View Post

How many Lombardis did they win?
    Your question is irrelevant. Reese and the waterboys can thank TC and Eli for their rings.

A good GM builds the team bottom up. Polian did it with the Colts and check out all these division wins:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/

We needed a GM to build a good line and a decent consistent defense. Reese had the two biggest roles filled (QB and HC) already. Dude had one job to do.

Reese isn't the reason why the Giants went 8-0 in their SB wins. He could've been given all the credit in the world if he were able to put together SB contending teams year after year instead of scapegoating everyone but the owners throughout his entire tenure.

Comment

• Originally posted by EliDaMANning View Post

Your question is irrelevant. Reese and the waterboys can thank TC and Eli for their rings.

A good GM builds the team bottom up. Polian did it with the Colts and check out all these division wins:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/

We needed a GM to build a good line and a decent consistent defense. Reese had the two biggest roles filled (QB and HC) already. Dude had one job to do.

Reese isn't the reason why the Giants went 8-0 in their SB wins. He could've been given all the credit in the world if he were able to put together SB contending teams year after year instead of scapegoating everyone but the owners throughout his entire tenure.
      So, allow me to play devil's advocate here...

Was their a steep drop-off in talent between the 2011 New York Giants and the 2012 New York Giants? 'cuz the former won the Super Bowl...the latter went 9-7 and missed the playoffs. So, should we assume that Jerry Reese was the sole reason for that pretty steep decline? Or, could the players and coaches have had something to do with that?

Comment

So, allow me to play devil's advocate here...

Was their a steep drop-off in talent between the 2011 New York Giants and the 2012 New York Giants? 'cuz the former won the Super Bowl...the latter went 9-7 and missed the playoffs. So, should we assume that Jerry Reese was the sole reason for that pretty steep decline? Or, could the players and coaches have had something to do with that?
        The only reason why the Giants didn't make the playoffs in 2012 was because the Redskins improved.

Honestly, you seem to just be padding your post count right now because anyone who watched the 2011 Giants (oh by the way they had the same regular season record as 2012 which you conveniently ignored) knew they were a heavily flawed team. Lack of run game, defense was ranked 27th. It finally clicked the last 6 games of their season. They were only 7-7 and playing like crap until Cruz took one 99 yards. That team was not world beaters and the decline the following year is only steep in your eyes because they won it all in 2011.

Jerry Reese had more to do with the Giants being consistent 8-8 and 6-10 teams for several years than those 2 miracle SB runs.

Comment

The only reason why the Giants didn't make the playoffs in 2012 was because the Redskins improved.

Honestly, you seem to just be padding your post count right now because anyone who watched the 2011 Giants (oh by the way they had the same regular season record as 2012 which you conveniently ignored) knew they were a heavily flawed team. Lack of run game, defense was ranked 27th. It finally clicked the last 6 games of their season. They were only 7-7 and playing like crap until Cruz took one 99 yards. That team was not world beaters and the decline the following year is only steep in your eyes because they won it all in 2011.

Jerry Reese had more to do with the Giants being consistent 8-8 and 6-10 teams for several years than those 2 miracle SB runs.
          Well he still has the rings.
          Deny everything. Admit nothing. Make counter accusations.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

Well he still has the rings.
            You really think the world of him it seems. Loyalty is a nice quality, much more good than bad.
            No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

The 2011 Giants did what they needed to do to get into the playoffs, then took it to the house. The 2012 Giants didn't. Some of that difference falls on players and coaches.

Look, I've said several times already that I'm past whatever Jerry Reese did or didn't do. He's not the General Manager of the New York Giants anymore. Time to move on.

Comment

The 2011 Giants did what they needed to do to get into the playoffs, then took it to the house. The 2012 Giants didn't. Some of that difference falls on players and coaches.

Look, I've said several times already that I'm past whatever Jerry Reese did or didn't do. He's not the General Manager of the New York Giants anymore. Time to move on.
                ok great you moved on, so why are you replying to my posts discussing Reese?

Comment

• Originally posted by jomo View Post

You really think the world of him it seems. Loyalty is a nice quality, much more good than bad.
                  Everyone trashes him. I think he was a flawed GM for sure. But when everyone unfairly trashes him I have to stand up for him. I take the bad with the good. Everyone seems determined to focus on the bad. He also gave us some fine players and some great memories.......including 2 SB wins.
                  I'm sorry but that's not nothing.

Comment

ok great you moved on, so why are you replying to my posts discussing Reese?
                    You're right...I should probably go try to find a thread about the future of the Giants rather than the past. Unfortunately, they're not that easy to find on this board.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

Everyone trashes him. I think he was a flawed GM for sure. But when everyone unfairly trashes him I have to stand up for him. I take the bad with the good. Everyone seems determined to focus on the bad. He also gave us some fine players and some great memories.......including 2 SB wins.
                      I'm sorry but that's not nothing.
                      You get to a point I often make which is that most things are more complicated than many people want them to be. (stated differently, "I know how I feel, don't confuse me with facts") I have often said that the GM's job is much more complicated than most people realize and that JR has done some good things in a several of those aspect.

Nothing is black and white EVER. The human mind is fascinating.
                      No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

How long is "a while"?
                        hopefully not longer than this coming season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post
                          This dead horse again?

Reese was the GM responsible for the Giants winning two Super Bowls. Itís very hard to maintain superiority in professional sports, canít we simply be grateful for what he did for the franchise while effective and let go of the past few years?

On balance he was a very positive force in NY Giants history.
                          One Super Bowl and they won despite him, not because of him. No, we cannot. We are in this mess because of Reese.

Comment

• Originally posted by JesseJames View Post

hopefully not longer than this coming season.
                            I think we could win the Super Bowl this coming season and there would still be anti-Jerry Reese threads popping up on this board every other day.

Comment

• If we could somehow get Reese to agree to allow Eli Manning to pants him on CCTV...would that help folks move on? 'cuz I'd be willing to try to help arrange that...maybe sell tickets with proceeds going to a charity of Reese's choosing.
                              Last edited by Bronxpinstripes; 02-12-2018, 05:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jomo View Post

You get to a point I often make which is that most things are more complicated than many people want them to be. (stated differently, "I know how I feel, don't confuse me with facts") I have often said that the GM's job is much more complicated than most people realize and that JR has done some good things in a several of those aspect.

Nothing is black and white EVER. The human mind is fascinating.
                                Well your last statement is at the core of the matter. With so many folks here, they act as if a player, coach, owner etc...are just one thing. In JR's case.....they act as if he's all bad.

Comment

Working...
                                X