Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's how the Giants can get to the Super Bowl next year

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...rt_river_index

Excerpt: "The good news for the Giants is that the 2017 season from hell officially ended with Sunday's Super Bowl. The bad news is the Giants' hated rival, the Eagles, captured the title with a thrilling 41-33 win over the Patriots in Super Bowl LII.
    That means the path back to the Super Bowl for the Giants will go through Philadelphia. It may sound crazy to talk about the Super Bowl for a team coming off a disastrous 3-13 season. But discussions with various people around the league last week revealed a belief that the Giants really aren't that far off from getting back into contention, especially with the huge year-to-year swings in the NFL.
    The Giants only need to look to the Eagles for motivation, as Philadelphia went 7-9 in 2016 before going 13-3 this season en route to a title. How can the Giants duplicate that turnaround? Here are six things that need to happen:
    Fix the defense
    The biggest mystery of the Giants' disastrous season was the collapse of their defense. Sure, there were some injuries, but that alone can't account for a unit that ranked second in the league in points allowed in 2016 dropping to No. 27 a year later.
    The core of the defense returns, but there will be big changes with new coordinator James Bettcher arriving with a 3-4 scheme. Bettcher built a strong reputation in Arizona, so he should be able to restore order on defense. The Giants need the defense to return to 2016 form to have a shot at reaching the Super Bowl.
    Get healthy

The Giants were besieged by injuries in 2017 after being remarkably healthy the previous season. The spate of injuries gave the Giants no chance to compete.

Wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr.'s absence was the biggest blow, as the offense was completely dysfunctional without its best play-maker. A healthy Beckham instantly upgrades the offense, while the Giants need to avoid the type of nagging injuries that prevented players like defensive end Olivier Vernon and safety Landon Collins from performing at their best." Read more...

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

There's any easy way to get to the SB next year and it's called StubHub. Because they sure won't be playing in it. This team was painful to watch. They under performed in all 3 phases of the game. Gettleman is going to have to restock talent and rebuild, not retool, the OL. That is not going to take one offseason. And then you have to ask what happened to the defense. Did they under achieve or is this who they really are? And Special Teams were far from special. SB for the 2018-19 season? Not likely. The year after? If the front office and coaches are hitting on all cylinders, then yes.
    “Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”
    ― George Carlin

Comment

Well.... I was going to say win more games than anyone else in your division ..ha!

That said, the injury bug happens to the Giants all the time. Outside of better strength and conditioning, how can it be prevented?

Comment

Originally posted by ANON837 View Post
        There's any easy way to get to the SB next year and it's called StubHub. Because they sure won't be playing in it.

Oh ok thanks for the heads up. I guess everyone can not post until 2019 now.

"Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
        "No...I didn't."
        "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
          http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...rt_river_index

Excerpt: "The good news for the Giants is that the 2017 season from hell officially ended with Sunday's Super Bowl. The bad news is the Giants' hated rival, the Eagles, captured the title with a thrilling 41-33 win over the Patriots in Super Bowl LII.
          That means the path back to the Super Bowl for the Giants will go through Philadelphia. It may sound crazy to talk about the Super Bowl for a team coming off a disastrous 3-13 season. But discussions with various people around the league last week revealed a belief that the Giants really aren't that far off from getting back into contention, especially with the huge year-to-year swings in the NFL.
          The Giants only need to look to the Eagles for motivation, as Philadelphia went 7-9 in 2016 before going 13-3 this season en route to a title. How can the Giants duplicate that turnaround? Here are six things that need to happen:
          Fix the defense
          The biggest mystery of the Giants' disastrous season was the collapse of their defense. Sure, there were some injuries, but that alone can't account for a unit that ranked second in the league in points allowed in 2016 dropping to No. 27 a year later.
          The core of the defense returns, but there will be big changes with new coordinator James Bettcher arriving with a 3-4 scheme. Bettcher built a strong reputation in Arizona, so he should be able to restore order on defense. The Giants need the defense to return to 2016 form to have a shot at reaching the Super Bowl.
          Get healthy

The Giants were besieged by injuries in 2017 after being remarkably healthy the previous season. The spate of injuries gave the Giants no chance to compete.

Wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr.'s absence was the biggest blow, as the offense was completely dysfunctional without its best play-maker. A healthy Beckham instantly upgrades the offense, while the Giants need to avoid the type of nagging injuries that prevented players like defensive end Olivier Vernon and safety Landon Collins from performing at their best." Read more...

In summary, fix every part of the team and dont get hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by ANON837 View Post
            There's any easy way to get to the SB next year and it's called StubHub. Because they sure won't be playing in it. This team was painful to watch. They under performed in all 3 phases of the game. Gettleman is going to have to restock talent and rebuild, not retool, the OL. That is not going to take one offseason. And then you have to ask what happened to the defense. Did they under achieve or is this who they really are? And Special Teams were far from special. SB for the 2018-19 season? Not likely. The year after? If the front office and coaches are hitting on all cylinders, then yes.
            Ok, that was funny! Also, painfully true.

Comment

I will say it now and I will eat crow later, but the Giants won't have a winning record in 2018, the team is a mess, the talent is poor in many areas, SB is Pipedream...

Comment

Not only do the Eagles have a great group of starters, they have incredible depth across the board. The Giants have a long way to go.

Comment

I'm glad everyone has given up on next season already one day after the Super Bowl.

"Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
                  "No...I didn't."
                  "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

Originally posted by PennState1 View Post
                    Not only do the Eagles have a great group of starters, they have incredible depth across the board. The Giants have a long way to go.
                    Eagles are over the projected 2018 cap by $9m , they going to have to cut players and restructure deals, their fans think GM is a cap god, but most fans don't realize a restructure player salary only frees up money for that year, the cap hit will return the next season...

Comment

This place cracks me up.

2015 Cowboys - 4-12
                      2016 Cowboys - 13-3

2016 Eagles - 7-9
                      2017 Eagles - 13-3 Super Bowl Champs

2016 Rams - 4-12 (14 PPG) 32nd in league
                      2017 Rams - 11-5 (29.9 PPG) 1st in league

I'm not saying the Giants will 100% be better next year, but it is very foolish to think they can't be better next year. Especially since free agency and the draft has not happened yet.
                      LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
                      "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post
                        This place cracks me up.

2015 Cowboys - 4-12
                        2016 Cowboys - 13-3

2016 Eagles - 7-9

I'm not saying the Giants will 100% be better next year, but it is very foolish to think they can't be better next year. Especially since free agency and the draft has not happened yet.
                        Mike-
                        These posters have a busy day: first, they have to proclaim doom and gloom for the Giants next season.
                        Next they have to go kick their dog.
                        They'll wrap up the day by parking in a handicapped spot.
                        "No...I didn't."

Comment

Makes it hard to get to the SB when you automatically start off with 2 losses every year against the Eagles and a lot of those years they weren't even that good

Comment

Fix the OL and the offense will play better. The defense will improve when they don't have to do all the work in a losing season.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post
                              This place cracks me up.

2015 Cowboys - 4-12
                              2016 Cowboys - 13-3

2016 Eagles - 7-9

The big difference is that those teams had something to hang their hat on at the end of the day. The Rams added pieces to their offense (LT, C, and 2 new WRs). They already had the QB (albeit raw), an MVP-caliber RB, and an already stout defense. The Eagles had their QB and were stout in the trenches. And Dallas already had their OL in place and they added the skill positions around them. The Giants have what at this moment? A generational talent at WR? Is that really it? They have an aging QB who is in the 9th inning of his career with Enter Sandman playing. And the big question mark of who is going to take the reins after. And who from the starting OL last season is slated to start again this year? This team doesn't have an identity. Hopefully they can start to turn it around, beginning with FA and the draft.
                              “Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”
                              ― George Carlin

Comment

Working...
                              X