Why the Giants should NOT copy the Eagles formula

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the Giants should NOT copy the Eagles formula

I have read several news outlets and even some comments on these MBs that mention how the
    Eagles built themselves to be good for many years. I did some research into their team to see
    what they did that was so brilliant… and in my humble opinion, they were lucky more than
    anything else.
    Here is what I found. Yes their team has great depth and it was shown when they had injuries
    to their team. But their salary cap problems will prevent them from ͞",keeping the band
    together͟".

For the 2018 season, their current salary cap is $188.3 million. More than $9 million OVER the
    salary cap. They currently have 56 players under contract. So, in theory, there is no reason for
    them to have to sign anyone new.
    However, they will need to cut some players so they can be under the salary cap. (And if they
    want to draft new young players this April, they will need to clear more than just $10 million
    from their salary cap.) But things get worse for them in 2019.

For the 2019 season, their salary cap is currently listed at $186.6 million. More than $7 million over the salary cap. And that is with only 39 players under contract. So they would need to add more players. And the players who would be free agents that year are not just their practice squad, depth players on the team. Below are a few of the 2019 free agents for them.

Nelson Agholor WR (the Eagles will need to put him on his 5th year option to keep him in 2019.
    Currently on his rookie contract)
    Jay Ajayi RB (Still on his rookie contract now but not a first round pick. So he would need a
    completely new contract to be kept. Pricey)
    Chance Warmack G
    Brandon Graham DE
    Jordan Hicks ILB (3rd round pick, rookie contract)
    Ronald Darby CB (2nd round pick, rookie contract)
    Also, Jalen Mills S (would need a new contract in 2020, currently on rookie contract)

Those are key pieces to their team, who are now on cheap/rookie contracts (except Brandon
    Graham), they will need to open the check book for or allow them to walk.
    Yes older players like Brent Celek TE($5 million), Jason Peters LT($11 million), Brandon Graham
    DE($7.7 million) can be allowed to retire or leave the team to save money. But they are
    foundation pieces to the team and cannot be easily replaced. (Except for Celek, I am talking
    about the other two players who cannot be easily replaced) 

To review, I feel the Eagles are actually in the same position as the Giants. They have huge
    contracts for aging players, they have young players that need new contracts which will
    probably break the bank, and very little to no salary cap to make any adjustments to the roster.
    Their only pros to their team is depth (which will be gone in 2019), a young franchise QB, and
    great (almost unfair) trades in their favor that landed them young talented players (Ajayi and
    Darby).
    I feel their GM left them in the same situation as Jerry Reese did our team. So I do not feel they
    are a team to be imitated, I feel they were very lucky the way this season fell for them. Let
    them enjoy their first win the next few months, because this success cannot be sustained.

Wentz is on his rookie contract. That also allowed them to sign Foles for 7 million. Once, Wentz gets his big contact deal. Eagles, then will have to make decisions whom to let go. Same happened in Seattle with Wilson

Comment

Originally posted by fifthavephil View Post
      Wentz is on his rookie contract. That also allowed them to sign Foles for 7 million. Once, Wentz gets his big contact deal. Eagles, then will have to make decisions whom to let go. Same happened in Seattle with Wilson
      and the Seahawks decided to go cheap on OL, see what that did for them!!

Comment

Good research by the OP.

One of the best things that the Eagles did was hire Doug Pederson ... not sure if that was a shrewd move (they were reportedly interested in McAdoo) or one they lucked into ....

Comment

I don't disagree with the OP, but I do think you are glossing over the fact that they have done the best job in the NFC east of drafting players, way better than us. It's not even close.

What you describe about young players who are going to need big contracts to keep is something all Superbowl teams go through. Superbowl do tend to have the effect of tearing teams up simply because players who helped get them to that SB will all want to be paid on contract time.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fifthavephil View Post
            I feel that is one of their benefits.
            And that is a perfect comparison with Seattle. They won this year, and maybe next year they will be good. But starting 2019, they will begin to have holes in their team that might be too much to overcome. Same as Seattle went through

Comment

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post
              Good research by the OP.

One of the best things that the Eagles did was hire Doug Pederson ... not sure if that was a shrewd move (they were reportedly interested in McAdoo) or one they lucked into ....
              Thank you.
              i also feel that was a lucky break for them also. (At least, that is what we can assume from the reports about their interest in McAdoo)
              but let's see if their GM can keep drafting good players so Pederson still has depth to work with.

Comment

I don't believe in ascribing luck to their success. They had significant injuries and didn't miss a beat. Our owner has on more than one occasion cited injuries as a reason for disappointing seasons. I would love to evaluate and develop talent as well as they are

Comment

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post
                  Good research by the OP.

They lucked out while we got ****ed over.
                  If you respect others, they will respect you.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSanta View Post
                    I don't disagree with the OP, but I do think you are glossing over the fact that they have done the best job in the NFC east of drafting players, way better than us. It's not even close.

What you describe about young players who are going to need big contracts to keep is something all Superbowl teams go through. Superbowl do tend to have the effect of tearing teams up simply because players who helped get them to that SB will all want to be paid on contract time.
                    You make a Good point.
                    My goal was not to gloss over that. They do have solid players like Agholor, Jalen Mills, etc because they have drafted very well.
                    However, their GM made some decisions that were definitely based on an idea for winning a championship now instead of building a solid team for the long run. He backloaded so many contracts which is the reason they will be above the cap starting in March.
                    If their GM does not continue drafting well, in 2 seasons their team will lose all the great depth they had this year. (And their depth was the reason they won)

PS ** Yes. EVERY team needs to draft well to be good. But my point is with their salary cap situation, and the need to pay young players like Wentz in 2-3 years to keep their core of the team, their ONLY option to stay relevant is to draft well. They cannot go into free agency and add an Alshon Jeffery-esque player for the next 2-3 years. **

Comment

Originally posted by StompYouOt View Post
                      I don't believe in ascribing luck to their success. They had significant injuries and didn't miss a beat. Our owner has on more than one occasion cited injuries as a reason for disappointing seasons. I would love to evaluate and develop talent as well as they are
                      I do agree with your point. My use of the term "luck" was merely to bring out that many things went their way this year for them to win the championship.
                      -Fortuitous trades with Dolphins and Bills that gave them Ajayi and Darby respectively. (Not all trades work this well...Osweiller and Trent Richardson for examples)
                      -Many NFC teams dealing with injuries. (Yes they had injuries too, but it has to be recognized that they also played injured teams also, which sort of evened the playing field )
                      -Brady put up amazing numbers on Sunday, but there were still passes that he missed or were dropped early on that could have changed the feel of the game

The reason I love football is that no matter how great you play, the ball has to figuratively (bounce your way) a few times for you to succeed.
                      while this year the ball "bounced" against the Giants, it bounced in favor for the Eagles.

Comment

most teams go through cycles of having good ones and good depth. We all know that doesnt last. The Eagles will have it for a few years and then they will have to make cap related consessions.
                        Its not some crazy unknown secret. Its the right thing at the right time.
                        What over comes that over the course of those up and down cycles is good drafting and and great coaching. Maybe they have that going forward.
                        "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                        You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

The Pats are basically the only team that has been able to remain consistent while having to make those same decisions. It helps that they have a top tier QB taking way less money than his market value, it opens up about 8 mill in cap space for them every year. It's basically like the Eagles being able to keep Wentz on his rookie deal well into his prime. But, it's also them being able to consistently replace players once their contract becomes untenable.
                          All Hail The New York Giants!!

Comment

Yes...they had more money due to rookie contracts. The QB is a big one. They haven't drafted better than the giants. The one thing they've done better is trade for guys. They have traded for some decent players. They aren't afraid to give up a 2-4th round pick for someone that could help their team. JR was the most conservative GM. Never did anything except pay free agents and stay exactly where he was in the draft order.

Comment

I'd much rather be really good for 3-4 yrs & win a SB or 2 in that span by wheeling & dealing, trading draft picks for solid vets that can help you win now than do what our GM did & as hadenough stated, be the most conservative GM in the NFL. We never traded for a key vet during the Oct trade deadlines, we just stood pat as other teams in our conference got key players that helped them make the playoffs that yr. NE has been the only team in the NFL to stay consistently good yr in yr out due to B&B, cut & dried! Once they are gone, NE will be a regular team struggling to make the playoffs for yrs to come. The window to win a SB in the NFL is very small IMO, maybe 3 yrs before FA/retirement guts your team of many of their key players. That's why this "we gotta draft a QB #2" amuses me. Is that gonna win the Giants a SB in these next 3 yrs? I really believe we can win a 3rd SB in the Eli era if we fix the OL & draft Barkley. We become a serious playoff contender right off the bat. Draft a QB who's gonna hold a clipboard these next 2+ seasons & who knows when this team will play in it's next SB, let alone win it. The 9ers had a great 3 yr window in 11'-12'-13' to win a SB, they came close but couldn't do it. They were a sub 500 team 8 straight seasons before that 3 yr run & have been sub 500 the last 4 yrs after that 3 yr run. The Eagles will have a 3 yr run starting this season to win another SB. By 2020, that shot will be over due to key players retiring, FA, trades.

I want the new GM/HC of this team to have a "win now" mentality & not a "let's settle for being a cellar dweller these next few yrs while we slowly build the team via the draft". Guess what, the other 3 teams in our division are doing the same & they are already better than us. If we are going to be the new Browns & finish in the top 3 draft wise for the next 2-3 yrs, then yeah, I guess we will finally be a SB contender in 2020-2021, maybe. Funny how NE always picks last or next to last in the draft & still wins.

Comment

Working...
                              X