Why the Giants should NOT copy the Eagles formula

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Diamondring View Post

No. Eli made many mistakes. Offense is made to score lot of points and defense needs it to score a lot of points per average.
    Actually, the 2016 Giants defense only needed 19 ppg (one of the lowest in the league). Luckily, the 2016 Giants offense was able to scratch out EXACTLY that amount (also one of the lowest in the league). The 2017 Giants defense was largely the same unit as the 2016 version...not that it really mattered since the offense was only able to manage 15.4 ppg this past season.

The offense may be BUILT to score a lot of points, but...it hasn't for some time.

Comment

Originally posted by uther99 View Post
      they have a 2nd year QB (although injured) who was in the MVP conversation. I would be happy to imitate them. Oh, and they just won the SB. Your eagles hate has distorted your logic
      Yeah, if that's what good luck gets you, then...sign me up!

Comment

Originally posted by Bronxpinstripes View Post

Yeah, they should have put the money into the OL and brought back Tarvaris Jackson at QB.
        They had to resign Wilson, no doubt, but they also spent big on the legion of doom. Could have cut back a touch there, and kept the line more intact. It's all a balancing act.

Comment

The Eagles aren’t in a bad spot at all

Cutting Celek and Torrey Smith gets them at the cap

They trade Foles and restructure or cut Peters and they’re well under the cap

Comment

Originally posted by fletch842 View Post
            They had to resign Wilson, no doubt, but they also spent big on the legion of doom. Could have cut back a touch there, and kept the line more intact. It's all a balancing act.
            Yeah, it's difficult stuff. It's why the guys that actually have to make these decision get paid more than us.

Comment

Originally posted by OtisMyMan View Post
              The Eagles aren’t in a bad spot at all

Cutting Celek and Torrey Smith gets them at the cap

They trade Foles and restructure or cut Peters and they’re well under the cap
              Yeah, I mean if they want to make their future cap issues simpler they could always give us Carson Wentz for our 3rd-round pick this year. I don't think too many Giants fans would protest!

Comment

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post
                Good research by the OP.

One of the best things that the Eagles did was hire Doug Pederson ... not sure if that was a shrewd move (they were reportedly interested in McAdoo) or one they lucked into ....
                It was the best thing they did....must have hit the books and studied his x and os hard because as a QB he was horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlue:TNG View Post

They won a championship so the GM’s gamble worked. But their cap situation will mean they have to “pay” for their gamble next season faster than other teams that win the Suoer Bowl had to.
                  I understood your point, and I am saying that I don’t believe any GM or team needs to apologize for winning a Championship.

Didnt you hear, Eagle Nation was so excited about winning the SB, they began picking up horse **** off the street and eating it.

I have a feeling they will be satisfied for a very long time.

Comment

Who said anything about the us following the Eagles formula? We have our own way. We’re the practioners of the nasty defensive line who showed twice that it can beat the Patriots juggernaut.

What is insane is that Philly’s roster was decimated by Chip Kelly. He traded LSean McCoy. Let Maclin and Jackson go. They signed ex-Seahawk Byron Maxwell to a huge contract. They traded for Bradford. Chip kelly made them a mess. People forget too, they were in last place and had a lot of infighting. Michyl Kendricks was benched and/or asked to be traded. Doug Pederson was their second or third choice. We prokoted McAdoo when word was he was Philly’s first chocie. He sures talked a good game about being Head Coach but his actions were otherwise.

Reese and McAdoo are in the past. Shurmur looks to be a great hire and much preferred over any Bellichick wannabe from his coaching tree-no thanks to Patricia or McDaniels. Thankfully we didn’t go after the flaky McDaniels who left the Colts with their pants down, or Patricia who is an unknown.

Gettleman was here before and knows the “Giants Way,” and every stop he’s been at has been successful-Buffalo during Jim Kelly era, Denver during John Elway days, here during our last 2 Super Bowls, and Carolina during their Super Bowl run. Every place Gettleman has been st has been a winner; not solely from him but he was part od it and learned from some of the best in the business. It’s better we get him now after learning a lot in Carolina.

The Eagles were in last place last year and in dosarray for a couple of years after the Chip Kelly fiasco. Same goes for the Rams. We have the right Head Coach and GM. The Eagles Way was the Giants Way. We provided the blueprint to win in the regular season AND beat the Pats.

Comment

While I hope we have some "luck" with Shurmur and Gettlemen, I think you might have gotten some of your numbers wrong with the eagles salary cap. Also, losing their key pieces isn't going to hurt them. They replaced Peters with Big V, Celek was used primarily for blocking since Ertz has become a premier TE. Graham would be the one that they need to resign. With the depth that their team has, they can continue too be competetive for the next two years. Let's hope we can draft well this year to give them a run for the SB.
                      The team that just won it all will return largely intact in 2018. And 2019. And to a great extent in 2020. The Eagles are built for the long haul. By Reuben Frank

Comment

We should not follow their lead because they just won their first Super Bowl ever and we have four Lombardy trophies in our case.
                        LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
                        "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

the fans should definitely not follow their formula.

I am not:
                          climbing poles
                          tipping over cars
                          destructing property
                          starting fires
                          jumping off awnings
                          EATING HORSE CRAP

"Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                          You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

Not only are they over the cap already depending on how much it goes up. But correct me if I'm wrong but both their WR's were on a 1 year show me contract. So I believe both Jefferies and Smith are FA's. They must sign Jefferies and that's not going to be cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by That Guy Rich View Post
                              Not only are they over the cap already depending on how much it goes up. But correct me if I'm wrong but both their WR's were on a 1 year show me contract. So I believe both Jefferies and Smith are FA's. They must sign Jefferies and that's not going to be cheap.
                              Jeffrey signed an extension in season. Smith is gone though but they have Hollins to replace him.

Comment

Originally posted by Parademon1 View Post
                                I'd much rather be really good for 3-4 yrs & win a SB or 2 in that span by wheeling & dealing, trading draft picks for solid vets that can help you win now than do what our GM did & as hadenough stated, be the most conservative GM in the NFL. We never traded for a key vet during the Oct trade deadlines, we just stood pat as other teams in our conference got key players that helped them make the playoffs that yr. NE has been the only team in the NFL to stay consistently good yr in yr out due to B&B, cut & dried! Once they are gone, NE will be a regular team struggling to make the playoffs for yrs to come. The window to win a SB in the NFL is very small IMO, maybe 3 yrs before FA/retirement guts your team of many of their key players. That's why this "we gotta draft a QB #2" amuses me. Is that gonna win the Giants a SB in these next 3 yrs? I really believe we can win a 3rd SB in the Eli era if we fix the OL & draft Barkley. We become a serious playoff contender right off the bat. Draft a QB who's gonna hold a clipboard these next 2+ seasons & who knows when this team will play in it's next SB, let alone win it. The 9ers had a great 3 yr window in 11'-12'-13' to win a SB, they came close but couldn't do it. They were a sub 500 team 8 straight seasons before that 3 yr run & have been sub 500 the last 4 yrs after that 3 yr run. The Eagles will have a 3 yr run starting this season to win another SB. By 2020, that shot will be over due to key players retiring, FA, trades.

I want the new GM/HC of this team to have a "win now" mentality & not a "let's settle for being a cellar dweller these next few yrs while we slowly build the team via the draft". Guess what, the other 3 teams in our division are doing the same & they are already better than us. If we are going to be the new Browns & finish in the top 3 draft wise for the next 2-3 yrs, then yeah, I guess we will finally be a SB contender in 2020-2021, maybe. Funny how NE always picks last or next to last in the draft & still wins.
                                I'm happy to see they will be in cap hell and are there now,I'm still really impressed with how many good young players they drafted that contributed and are on rookie deals,that said happy to see this might not last long,unless of course they start the cycle all over again with 3 or 4 good drafts in a row and a bunch of guys on there rookie deals,in a perfect world thats how it's supposed to work.

Comment

Working...
                                X