Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ghost View Post

Sure we do.

He missed the team flight for the SB, showed up late, intoxicated and high, then got into a shoving match with staff after they found weed in his luggage , he went off on the staff ,then wasn't allowed to travel with the team because he was in a state and picking fights, broke curfew twice ( was intoxicated and high when he did show up, both times), was found smoking weed in his hotel room during rooms checks, AFTER they found weed in his bags, mind you, and missed ( not 5 minutes late, but missed altogether) Saturday mornings team meeting. This after he missed practice with the "flu" the week before ( high and hung over in reality) and when he did practice late in the week looked awful.

That the Patriots are saying nothing is in fact a favor to him as his contract is up and if they did it would cost him millions in free agency, so there's that...
    Link?

Comment

• More than missing Butler, I thought the NE Run defense was awful, wrought with really poor tackling. They gave up a number of first downs after broken tackles, turned the game.

Comment

• Here's an alternative explanation:

"Fast-forward to 2018, and Belichick was confronted with a similar problem. He was taking on an Eagles offensive line that had punished teams in the running game all season. The Patriots, on the other hand, had been poor against the run due to a dearth of front-seven talent on the roster. If New Englandís defense stood a chance of slowing down a dynamic Philly offense, it would have to force Nick Foles to throw the ball Ö a lot.

So Belichick went back to his gameplan for the Bills, only he took the opposite approach, sacrificing agility for strength this time around. He sent Butler (190 pounds) to the bench, moved Eric Rowe (205 pounds), who had played in the slot all season, outside to take his place and put strong safety Patrick Chung (215 pounds) in the nickel back role."

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/02/nfl-...ck-explanation

Comment

Sure we do.

He missed the team flight for the SB, showed up late, intoxicated and high, then got into a shoving match with staff after they found weed in his luggage , he went off on the staff ,then wasn't allowed to travel with the team because he was in a state and picking fights, broke curfew twice ( was intoxicated and high when he did show up, both times), was found smoking weed in his hotel room during rooms checks, AFTER they found weed in his bags, mind you, and missed ( not 5 minutes late, but missed altogether) Saturday mornings team meeting. This after he missed practice with the "flu" the week before ( high and hung over in reality) and when he did practice late in the week looked awful.

That the Patriots are saying nothing is in fact a favor to him as his contract is up and if they did it would cost him millions in free agency, so there's that...
          How do you know this?

Comment

If BB wasn't exactly who ,what, and how he is ,they never would have won the first Superbowl, let alone 5. You're so positive Bellichik was unable or mistaken in making his assessment that on that day Butler had nothing worthwhile to offer, aren't you? i'll take Bills's assessment of his talent and the state of his players any day over yours.

As an aside, we saw Coughlin basically get fired for doing exactly what you suggest, turning a blind eye to player idiocy (Beckham's) in the vain hope it would save his job. We all saw how that turned out. You don't throw away your principles and the values and practices that brought you success when it becomes inconvenient, otherwise they aren't of any value anyway. You don't sell out who and what you are because it becomes inconvenient.

Do you really think the football gods would have rewarded Belichik with another Lombardi for showing a lack of integrity? I doubt it.
            Wastrel Butler was not going to be their savior that day, and Bill knew it.
            Idiotic response, he's one of their best defensive players and he wouldn't have made any difference during one of the worst defensive performances of all time? His replacement got torched all day and was directly targeted by Philly. Belichik cost them the SB period!

Comment

And it's Butler's fault he didn't play, not Belichik's. Butler made his own decisions, and has to own them, not BB.
              Never said it wasn't. But you seem to know a lot of details. Care to share the source?
              I stopped fighting my inner demons. We're on the same side now.

Comment

• Originally posted by FBomb View Post

Never said it wasn't. But you seem to know a lot of details. Care to share the source?
                It's all made up. Like I said Butler didn't get arrested, he didn't get suspended, he didn't get in trouble from the league and he was allowed to dress. I can't think of anything that would be so bad he's not allowed to play but still allowed to dress for the game. I can't think of another time something like that happened where a guy was allowed to dress but not play for the entire game.

What was even the point of letting him dress? "Just in case"? I think once the Eagles scored 30 that "break in case of emergency" beacon should have gone off. I 100% think this was an ego thing by BB. Keep in mind I have defended Bill here for ever and am a huge fan of his. Everyone has flaws. Thinking you can win the SB will the paperboy playing WR and a 4th string WR playing DB is one of Bills flaws (actually being able to do it is one of his strengths).
                LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
                "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post
                  It's all made up. Like I said Butler didn't get arrested, he didn't get suspended, he didn't get in trouble from the league and he was allowed to dress.
                  How is your post any more credible than what Ghost claimed? Neither of you have posted any link or supporting info to back up anything you have claimed.

Comment

• Originally posted by DandyDon View Post

How is your post any more credible than what Ghost claimed? Neither of you have posted any link or supporting info to back up anything you have claimed.

I agree . The entire premise is based on opinion

The way i see it if Butler was wronged in anyway . Why not just come out and sate why you were benched for no apparent reason. He has said nothing to defend his side of the ordeal. He is a FA. If he is done nothing to cause the benching come out with it and take the flag away from any team not wanting to sing you.

The entire premise of the thread was based on the coach wronged him . Did he? If he did why is it, I hear nothing but crickets from Butler?

The same argument was made during the combine on masked Drug tests with over hydration. The he was thirsty was the only plausible cause. The diluted sample was just a by product of that thirst. 9 months later busted with weed.
                    Last edited by TEM; 02-10-2018, 05:55 AM.
                    There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season.

Comment

• Lmao @ the hyperbolic dummies saying that BB has tarnished his legacy. How dense can you be? Nobody but dumb fans are talking about the butler benching.

acting like BB benched some HoF CB. Give me a break, butler was a slightly above average CB. Not to mention BB is the damn HC and has every single right to bench players.

Some of you have zero actual football experience and it shows.

Yes, the greatest coach in history tarnished his legacy by benching some clown CB. Give me a damn break.

Comment

• http://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/02/nfl-...ck-explanation

This makes a conpelling argument that schematically and technically it was the right choice.
                        Just remember Kevin Love makes more money then OBJ, and OBJ also dunks better.

Comment

• All I know is if I'm Butler & I know that I'm done as a Patriot, I would just tell the real truth of why he was benched for the SB & not play the stupid " I have no idea why I was benched " card. I'm pretty sure the facts will come out during the off season & my $$ is on him having done stupid stuff to get himself benched.

Comment

• You don't lose a SB due to one DB sitting out.
                            1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007, 2011

Osi Umenyiora : " There's Nothing Like Being a NY GIANT ! "

Comment

• Originally posted by DandyDon View Post

He is claiming that something happened, I am not. That is the difference. He is acting like he knows for sure that certain things happened. I have no clue what happened and haven't made claims otherwise.

We know for certain that Butler dressed, was not suspended, was not arrested and at this point has not gotten into any trouble from the league (those are facts that don't need sources). So my only question is what could Butler have done that is so horrible that he was not arrested, was not suspended and was allowed to dress for the game...but not play in it?

"Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

• Originally posted by AGiantDynasty View Post
                                Lmao @ the hyperbolic dummies saying that BB has tarnished his legacy. How dense can you be? Nobody but dumb fans are talking about the butler benching.

acting like BB benched some HoF CB. Give me a break, butler was a slightly above average CB. Not to mention BB is the damn HC and has every single right to bench players.

Some of you have zero actual football experience and it shows.

Yes, the greatest coach in history tarnished his legacy by benching some clown CB. Give me a damn break.
                                First off anyone saying Bill tarnished his legacy is a fool. That's ridiculous. Did someone actually say that? Same goes with anyone saying Bill doesn't have the right to do it. Of course he does, just like Mac had the right to bench Manning; doesn't mean it is the best decision for the team though.

The rest of your comment is just as foolish and makes it seem like you don't know this game. He is not just an "above average" CB, he is their best defensive player that played in 98% of their snaps, he is a Pro Bowler and in 2016 was an All Pro for gods sake. This D hardly played a snap without him on the field this year and removing him has a major effect on the other guys out there. You think it is a coincidence that their best defender was benched and they had their worst D performance of the year at the same time?
                                "Next man up"

Comment

Working...
                                X