the best receiver we'ver ever had.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Moecoastie77 View Post

Ah, way before my day. I just think its funny that since Eli's arrival, WRs seem to grow on trees here. Popping up in trades (plax), drafts ( nicks, manningham, OBJ, etc..), or even UDFA (Cruz).
    Interesting stat from before the 2017 season. Obviously without Beckham in 2017 it was just as ugly:

Eli's career:

1. Throwing to OBJ: 35-7 TD/INT, 63% completion, 111.4 passer rating.
    2. Non-OBJ: 285-209 TD/INT, 59.5% completion, 79.9 passer rating.

Comment

• Originally posted by TCHOF View Post

We are a 3-13 team with a ton of holes. We are not winning the SB next year. It would be a miracle to make the playoffs.

That means that the hope is that we make a run in 2019 with a 39 year old QB who hasnít played at an elite level in years?

That seems to be wishful thinking to the point of delusion
      I think this team is three years away from serious contention. There isnít a lot of cap space, there are far too many holes and itís highly unlikely that a rookie QB is going to take a team under renovation team deep into the playoffs.

Next year feels to me like a lay up year. Gettlemen will say words to sound like heís going fo ththe hole but in reality heís probably figures the best he can do is lay up next year, get a bit closer to the hole by finishing in the middle of the pack and then start actually shooting for it two years from now.

Comment

• Originally posted by jmike View Post

Then you haven't been paying attention, a team going from last place to first place in their division happens nearly every year these days. Saying that the Giants window has closed means you haven't actually payed much attention to the NFL since the early 90s.
        Name the team that has gone from 3-13 to SB champs in one season.

The goal is not to go from last place to first place (which isn't happening anyway), it is to win a SB and fast ....because our QB will turn 38 next season.

Comment

Name the team that has gone from 3-13 to SB champs in one season.

The goal is not to go from last place to first place (which isn't happening anyway), it is to win a SB and fast ....because our QB will turn 38 next season.
          All you have to do is make the play-offs and you have a chance. Teams turn it around every year and make the play-offs. Not saying it will happen or is even likely to happen for the Giants. To rule out the possibility is denying reality and quitters mindset.

Comment

• Originally posted by jmike View Post

All you have to do is make the play-offs and you have a chance. Teams turn it around every year and make the play-offs. Not saying it will happen or is even likely to happen for the Giants. To rule out the possibility is denying reality and quitters mindset.
            So you want to make decisions this year based upon the infinitesimal possibility that we will be the first team ever to go from 3-13 to SB champs?

Ok

Comment

• I guess I fall somewhere in the middle of this argument. I think we have plenty of talent to build on here and there is no reason we can't be competitive next year if we handle it right. It's my hope that a new coaching staff can get more than we've been able to get out of our players.
              Are we a legit SB contender in 2018?...I strongly doubt it. Can we be competitive and challenge for a playoff spot?.....I think we can.
              Deny everything. Admit nothing. Make counter accusations.

Comment

• I'm not gonna look up the list of teams that have gone from worst to 1st the next yr & even won a SB but it's been a few. To state that the Giants can't do this in 2018-2019 is ludricous. Draft Barkley, fix the OL, get some real LBers & we can be legit SB contenders in Eli's last 2-3 yrs. I do remember the 1980 9ers being 6-10 & going 13-3 in 81' & winning the SB, that's one example of a team doing a complete 1 yr turnaround. Who had them as SB favs to win it all in 81'?

Comment

• Originally posted by Parademon1 View Post
                  I'm not gonna look up the list of teams that have gone from worst to 1st the next yr & even won a SB but it's been a few. To state that the Giants can't do this in 2018-2019 is ludricous. Draft Barkley, fix the OL, get some real LBers & we can be legit SB contenders in Eli's last 2-3 yrs. I do remember the 1980 9ers being 6-10 & going 13-3 in 81' & winning the SB, that's one example of a team doing a complete 1 yr turnaround. Who had them as SB favs to win it all in 81'?
                  You really want to draft a RB at #2 when our future franchise QB could be there?
                  I just don't get it. RB's have very short NFL careers with few exceptions. Franchise QB's can last 15 years or more and have significantly more impact on the football team.

I just don't understand the logic here.

Comment

• Bavaro ......
                    He's in the mix
                    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

• Originally posted by Parademon1 View Post
                      I'm not gonna look up the list of teams that have gone from worst to 1st the next yr & even won a SB but it's been a few. To state that the Giants can't do this in 2018-2019 is ludricous. Draft Barkley, fix the OL, get some real LBers & we can be legit SB contenders in Eli's last 2-3 yrs. I do remember the 1980 9ers being 6-10 & going 13-3 in 81' & winning the SB, that's one example of a team doing a complete 1 yr turnaround. Who had them as SB favs to win it all in 81'?
                      No team that I am aware of has gone from 3-13 to SB champs. To build toward something that has a 1% chance of happening (if that) and, if it doesn't happen, could hurt the team long term, is the very definition of "ludicrous". I have no idea what some of you guys are thinking.

If they have a guy rated as a 10-15 year championship caliber QB, and that guy is still sitting there at 2, they HAVE to take him. There is no other choice that makes even a little sense.
                      Last edited by TCHOF; 02-14-2018, 03:38 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                        I guess I fall somewhere in the middle of this argument. I think we have plenty of talent to build on here and there is no reason we can't be competitive next year if we handle it right. It's my hope that a new coaching staff can get more than we've been able to get out of our players.
                        Are we a legit SB contender in 2018?...I strongly doubt it. Can we be competitive and challenge for a playoff spot?.....I think we can.
                        Maybe.

But the question is, do you pass up a franchise QB to achieve a best case scenario (which is being generous) of a playoff spot that doesn't result in a SB victory? Then the following year try to make a run with a 39 year old QB who hasn't played well for years?

If this is our plan, I am very concerned about this franchise moving forward.

Comment

• I don't believe we should pass on a franchise QB if they are on the board when we pick, but I believe we could make a run. Reese was building the team backwards, but he was loading up on Skill Positions before he built the trenches. However I don't agree that the RB should be the player we take if the interest for QB isn't there. We have had a terrible OL for years now, if we either take the best rated OL in the first or trade down so we can get 2 solid OL in the first. I think that would go a long way towards making the team competitive. Our lack of OL talent is restricting the effectiveness of the skill positions which are loaded. We can either take the best LB with the 2nd round pick or again trade down and get 2 solid LBs, paired with FA moves and we can be a competitive team.. We are closer than it looks because OL is supposed to be solid before you load up with skill positions, we are loaded at the skill positions, we need the OL to make them more effective.

Again, if the Franchise QB is there you take him, but I think we would be passing up making a run in the next year or two if we take him. If he doesn't pan out , then we try again with a potential Playoff run lost for nothing.
                          Last edited by FanOfTheGmen; 02-14-2018, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Maybe.

But the question is, do you pass up a franchise QB to achieve a best case scenario (which is being generous) of a playoff spot that doesn't result in a SB victory? Then the following year try to make a run with a 39 year old QB who hasn't played well for years?
                            Absolutely not.

Comment

• I was a huge fan of Nicks and thought when he was healthy he was better then Cruz. Thatís what made the WR core so dangerous. It is sad that because of injuries both guys are out of the league so young. Could you imagine a healthy Nicks or Cruz playing with OBJ?
                              Last edited by gntsfn; 02-14-2018, 08:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by gntsfn View Post
                                I was a huge of Nicks and thought when he was healthy he was better then Cruz. Thatís what made the WR core so dangerous. It is sad that because of injuries both guys are out of the league so young. Could you imagine a healthy Nicks or Cruz playing with OBJ?
                                Funny thing is that if we had both Nicks and Cruz healthy going into the 2014 season then we most likely miss out on drafting OBJ or any of those great receivers from that draft class.

Comment

Working...
                                X