Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the best receiver we'ver ever had.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by NAVY2323 View Post

    I'd say 11' doesn't happen without Nicks. 07's doesn't happen without Plax. There's no wrong answer to the question. Plax is simply my preference. I think many Giants fan hold on to some "butt hurtness" about Plax shooting himself in 08'. At the time sure, but I'm long over it. It's kind of like the guys who forget how dynamic Tiki was because they don't like his media actions. There's another guy who should get nothing but appreciation posts at this time. I still love the quote from the SB DVD for XLII from one of the Packers radio guys: "Al Harris must be cold out there, because he's getting undressed by Plaxico Burress". And that dude was an All Pro(supposedly).
    That's fine with me. I loved Plaxico. he was in the same dorm as my daughter at MSU. I've followed his career since he was a sophomore, playing under Nick Saben.
    I thought Plaxico was absolutely instrumental in our winning SB 42. As you say...There is no wrong answer.
    Deny everything. Admit nothing. Make counter accusations.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
      Before his leg and foot injuries Hakeem Nicks was a great player. He was the best WR we ever had..........Until Odell came.
      Loved Nicks, he got an added bonus from me because he seemed to always play well against the Eagles.

      Comment


      • #48
        I tend to think it's more accurate to look at it as "best of their era" for a few reasons like conditioning and rules. Players today work on condition all year with much better , advanced training equipment and techniques. As for rules, what numbers would Unitas put up with today's offense friendly rules ? Back in his time DBs could pretty much have their way with WRs. What if Brady had to play with those old rules when DBs could mug WRs ? Hard to compare across eras....

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
          I think the one thing that separates him from Plaxico (who I absolutely love) is that Plaxico tended to catch the ball and go down. Nicks considered the catch, the beginning of the play. It seemed he was always looking to score once he caught the ball.
          Yep and his YPC reflects that

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by TE88 View Post

            Yep and his YPC reflects that
            Toomer's YPC are identical and played 6 more seasons.
            There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by jmike View Post

              Loved Nicks, he got an added bonus from me because he seemed to always play well against the Eagles.
              He killed the Cowboys as well.
              Deny everything. Admit nothing. Make counter accusations.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by TEM View Post

                Toomer's YPC are identical and played 6 more seasons.
                I think YAC is the stat that would matter there.
                Deny everything. Admit nothing. Make counter accusations.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Beckham already the greatest receiver we ever had but yeah I don't think people appreciated Nicks enough

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

                    I think YAC is the stat that would matter there.
                    Both of the their best 5 years YAC stats.

                    Toomer
                    1999 359
                    2000 291
                    2001 270
                    2002 277
                    2003 251
                    total 1448

                    Nicks
                    2009 423
                    2010 308
                    2011 365
                    2012 209
                    2013 283
                    total 1583

                    Comparable, 134 separates them.

                    Longevity in career. I would still say Toomer is the best Giants receiver they had.

                    Last edited by TEM; 02-10-2018, 01:14 PM.
                    There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by TEM View Post

                      Both of the their best 5 years YAC stats.

                      Toomer
                      1999 359
                      2000 291
                      2001 270
                      2002 277
                      2003 251
                      total 1448

                      Nicks
                      2009 423
                      2010 308
                      2011 365
                      2012 209
                      2013 283
                      total 1583

                      Comparable, 134 separates them.

                      Longevity in career. I would still say Toomer is the best Giants receiver they had.
                      Well Nicks didn't get to select his best years. He really only had 5. If you want to make a fair comparison, take the first 5 years of each career.

                      but it misses the point. I'm talking about my impressions of Nicks, watching his play. His attitude was that he was determined to do something special with the ball once he caught it. I have no idea how that translated into stats. just my impressions of the kid on the field.

                      That playoff play I posted vs. Atlanta?......Toomer didn't have the burst to make that play. That play was special. It was "Odell" special actually.
                      Deny everything. Admit nothing. Make counter accusations.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by TEM View Post

                        Toomer's YPC are identical and played 6 more seasons.
                        I was just making the point that what Morehead's eyes were telling him were backed up by the numbers at a first glance. I am not going to get into a debate based on stats.

                        In my view of all the receivers Eli Manning has played with Odell is #1 and Nicks is #2.

                        Toomer was an excellent player as well but definitely not as explosive. Even in his prime.

                        The only player who has done something equal to what Nicks did in the 11 playoffs is Larry Fitz....one of the greatest ever.

                        Hakeem Nicks was a special player for this team and he was a winner. He played his best on the biggest stages.He abused excellent CBs on a regular basis and was competing for catches with Cruz. He was awesome.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by TEM View Post

                          Both of the their best 5 years YAC stats.

                          Toomer
                          1999 359
                          2000 291
                          2001 270
                          2002 277
                          2003 251
                          total 1448

                          Nicks
                          2009 423
                          2010 308
                          2011 365
                          2012 209
                          2013 283
                          total 1583

                          Comparable, 134 separates them.

                          Longevity in career. I would still say Toomer is the best Giants receiver they had.
                          Burress totaled 840 in 3 full Giants seasons. That's right on par with those numbers. He actually showed drastic improvement from his time with the Steelers if you look at the numbers. Beckham put up 1617 in 3 seasons before the injury shortened campaign, that's insane.
                          sigpic Verbally I'm untouchable like Eliot Ness.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by TE88 View Post

                            I was just making the point that what Morehead's eyes were telling him were backed up by the numbers at a first glance. I am not going to get into a debate based on stats.

                            In my view of all the receivers Eli Manning has played with Odell is #1 and Nicks is #2.

                            Toomer was an excellent player as well but definitely not as explosive. Even in his prime.

                            The only player who has done something equal to what Nicks did in the 11 playoffs is Larry Fitz....one of the greatest ever.

                            Hakeem Nicks was a special player for this team and he was a winner. He played his best on the biggest stages.He abused excellent CBs on a regular basis and was competing for catches with Cruz. He was awesome.
                            Good post

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

                              Well Nicks didn't get to select his best years. He really only had 5. If you want to make a fair comparison, take the first 5 years of each career.

                              but it misses the point. I'm talking about my impressions of Nicks, watching his play. His attitude was that he was determined to do something special with the ball once he caught it. I have no idea how that translated into stats. just my impressions of the kid on the field.

                              That playoff play I posted vs. Atlanta?......Toomer didn't have the burst to make that play. That play was special. It was "Odell" special actually.
                              I believe Nicks earned his spot as one of the giants best. When discussing "the best"it is the full circle that has to be taken into consideration . Amani has had a career worthy of it.

                              #1 all time in Receiving yardage for a giant with 9497 (4000 yards over the #2 spot held by Gifford)
                              #1 all time in Receiving TD with 54 as a Giant
                              #1 in Receptions with 668 as a Giant
                              #1 in targets with 1239 as a Giant
                              #1 in games played as a Giant receiver with 190



                              There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by NAVY2323 View Post

                                Burress totaled 840 in 3 full Giants seasons. That's right on par with those numbers. He actually showed drastic improvement from his time with the Steelers if you look at the numbers. Beckham put up 1617 in 3 seasons before the injury shortened campaign, that's insane.
                                Good post.
                                There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X