the best receiver we'ver ever had.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TEM View Post

I believe Nicks earned his spot as one of the giants best. When discussing "the best"it is the full circle that has to be taken into consideration . Amani has had a career worthy of it.

#1 all time in Receiving yardage for a giant with 9497 (4000 yards over the #2 spot held by Gifford)
    #1 all time in Receiving TD with 54 as a Giant
    #1 in Receptions with 668 as a Giant
    #1 in targets with 1239 as a Giant
    #1 in games played as a Giant receiver with 190

I loved Amani and think he was one of our best WR's ever. But in my view Nicks at his best was better than Amani at his best. Amani played a long time and accumulated a lot of great stats as a Giant. He was also tremendous in 2002 when he was essentially the only WR on the field. But I think Nicks was much more dynamic that Toomer. more explosive. Better hands. Better in a crowd.
    I'm not examining stats. I'm just going by what I saw. And I literally saw every catch both guys made as Giants.
    It could be that you prefer a more "reliable" and less injury prone WR. That's fine. Nicks career was cut short.

It's like Gayle Sayers vs. Emmitt Smith. Smith had a long career and Sayers was cut short. But Gayle Sayers was one of the greatest football players I ever saw. Emmitt Smith was definitely not close to that.
    Deny everything. Admit nothing. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by nhpgiantsfan View Post
      What a shame the injuries took him too soon. He was better than Plax, Toomer, Cruz, and yes even Odell. OBJ may make some more circus catches but he would never take the beatings that Nicks took. Watch this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Glyscx2J54
      Obj and itís not really close

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

I loved Amani and think he was one of our best WR's ever. But in my view Nicks at his best was better than Amani at his best. Amani played a long time and accumulated a lot of great stats as a Giant. He was also tremendous in 2002 when he was essentially the only WR on the field. But I think Nicks was much more dynamic that Toomer. more explosive. Better hands. Better in a crowd.
        I'm not examining stats. I'm just going by what I saw. And I literally saw every catch both guys made as Giants.
        It could be that you prefer a more "reliable" and less injury prone WR. That's fine. Nicks career was cut short.

It's like Gayle Sayers vs. Emmitt Smith. Smith had a long career and Sayers was cut short. But Gayle Sayers was one of the greatest football players I ever saw. Emmitt Smith was definitely not close to that.
        I can agree with that both were class acts on and off the field.
        There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season.

Comment

Before his leg and foot injuries Hakeem Nicks was a great player. He was the best WR we ever had..........Until Odell came.
          word
          "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
          You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

With obj, sheppard, and now engram, we're a Hackeem Nicks short of having a complete championship WR core...

Comment

My father told me that Gayle Sayers and Sanders are the 2 greatest RB's he's ever seen, as a side note. Always said Smith was more of a grinder who ran behind great lines rather than one of the all time great talents at the position. On that type of analysis, it's easy to see why you'd prefer Nicks over Toomer. All that said, Toomer is the most "solid" Giants WR of all time. Consistent performance over a long period of time, he's definitely the guy. I can also see why some fans would prefer that.
              sigpic Verbally I'm untouchable like Eliot Ness.

Comment

Originally posted by NAVY2323 View Post

My father told me that Gayle Sayers and Sanders are the 2 greatest RB's he's ever seen, as a side note. Always said Smith was more of a grinder who ran behind great lines rather than one of the all time great talents at the position. On that type of analysis, it's easy to see why you'd prefer Nicks over Toomer. All that said, Toomer is the most "solid" Giants WR of all time. Consistent performance over a long period of time, he's definitely the guy. I can also see why some fans would prefer that.
                Not sure if you remember but Toomer was in Fassell's doghouse for a couple years when he got here. It took him a long time to really see the field. Once he did it still took him a while. Obviously he became a great Giants WR. But it took quite a while. Nicks was there right from the start. He was just gifted.

Comment

Not sure if you remember but Toomer was in Fassell's doghouse for a couple years when he got here. It took him a long time to really see the field. Once he did it still took him a while. Obviously he became a great Giants WR. But it took quite a while. Nicks was there right from the start. He was just gifted.
                  His rapid demise is sad, I believe he had HOF type potential if he had stayed healthy. Nicks was stellar from day 1, that's fact. As far as Toomer goes, once he broke through he was very consistent and durable for a long time. Toomer has one of my favorite moments, albeit from a lost season. I was out living in Colorado right prior to joining the Navy in 98'. I was in a sports bar filled with Broncos fans when he caught that TD from Kent Graham that ruined the Broncos perfect season. I also believe that was before he became the consistent receiver most remember.

Comment

Who was the best receiver before Eli arrived? Ingram?

Comment

Originally posted by Moecoastie77 View Post
                      Most of Toomer's career was pre-Eli.

Comment

Before Eli? Well technically Toomer. But if you exclude him it would have to be Homer Jones.

Comment

I had dreams of nicks coming back home and playing w Odell and tearing it up. I know he came home, but the decline was so steep then. He was a true GIANT and definitely one of my favorites of all time. He was so physical

Comment

Before Eli? Well technically Toomer. But if you exclude him it would have to be Homer Jones.
                            Ah, way before my day. I just think its funny that since Eli's arrival, WRs seem to grow on trees here. Popping up in trades (plax), drafts ( nicks, manningham, OBJ, etc..), or even UDFA (Cruz).

Comment

Ah, way before my day. I just think its funny that since Eli's arrival, WRs seem to grow on trees here. Popping up in trades (plax), drafts ( nicks, manningham, OBJ, etc..), or even UDFA (Cruz).
                              Probably more a result of the nature of the NFL now vs. "because of Eli". It's become more and more of a passing league ever since the addition they started enforcing the illegal contact rule in the 90's. I'm pretty sure it became an NFL rule long before that(70's maybe), but wasn't enforced until the 90's. That's also something quite worth considering when thinking about exactly how great Jerry Rice was. IMO Jerry Rice is the WR GOAT hands down.

Comment

Nicks was absolutely phenomenal, he was by far my favorite over Cruz, Cruz was great too but I don't think he would've been nearly as effective and dangerous without Nicks. Well I guess it was really just Nicks' style that I preferred as well, because he and Cruz really fed off of one anothers success, but Nicks was just dominant the majority of the time. Beckham is without a doubt the best but Nicks will always be remembered by me as one of the greats along with Burress, he was definitely a top 5 receiver during his prime before that injury. Just imagine if he stayed healthy? Nicks was consistently improving at the time which is saying something because he looked polished even as a rookie.
                                Last edited by nick030567; 02-10-2018, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X