Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Giants ranked in Top 101 Players by Pro Football Focus

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs...d-f4d1125b9695

"Pro Football Focus ranked the top 101 players of 2017 and two Giants made the list:
    Who were the Top 101 players in the NFL during the 2017 season?
    Pro Football Focus tackled the question as it
    looks back on this past year
    , now officially a wrap after the Eagles defeated the Patriots in Super Bowl LII. Two Giants made the annual list, and they both play defense.
    Damon “Snacks” Harrison checks in at No. 39 and Landon Collins landed at No. 70.
    PFF weighs all positions equally, so “you won’t see 32 quarterbacks heading the list — even though that is the game’s most valuable position. Instead, we take a look at how guys played relative to what is expected from their position”, according to senior analyst Sam Monson.

39. Damon “Snacks” Harrison

TOP 101 APPERANCES:

2017 STATS:
    76 combined tackles (51 solo), 40 run stops, 1.5 sacks, 1 interception
    Monson: “There is no greater run-stuffing force in the NFL than Damon Harrison, the Giants’ defensive tackle. Harrison won PFF’s best run defender award again this season, and has made run stops and run-stop percentage a statistic owned by him alone. Harrison again topped 40 run stops this season, third time in his career, or two more times than the rest of the league’s interior defenders have managed since 2006. The run game has never been less important in the NFL, but Harrison is good enough to be an exception to that rule.”

70. Landon Collins

TOP 101 APPEARANCES:

2017 STATS:
    104 combined tackles, 2 interceptions, 2 fumbles recovered, 6 passes defensed
    Monson: “A year ago, Landon Collins had a defensive player of the year kind of season and while 2017 wasn’t quite at that level, it was still an excellent year and reinforced his quality…Collins notched 37 defensive stops this season, nine fewer than the year before, but he also played significantly fewer snaps due to injury…”

PFF’S TOP 10 PLAYERS OF 2017
    1. DL Aaron Donald, Los Angeles Rams
    2. QB Tom Brady, New England Patriots
    3. S Harrison Smith, Minnesota Vikings
    4. LB Bobby Wagner, Seattle Seahawks
    5. CB Casey Hayward, Los Angeles Chargers
    6. DE Cameron Jordan, New Orleans Saints
    7. WR Antonio Brown, Pittsburgh Steelers
    8. TE Rob Gronkowski, New England Patriots
    9. Calais Campbell, Jacksonville Jaguars
    10. LB Von Miller, Denver Broncos"

WATCH VIDEO CLIPS

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Eagles win Super Bowl...no one in the top ten. Pats lose Super Bowl, two players in top ten. Commence fight about PFF.

This is good for Snacks though, he does not get the recognition he deserves.
    LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
    "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

Eli should definitely be on there...

The benching hurt his stats.

Giving up on plays must have sealed his fate.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post
        Eagles win Super Bowl...no one in the top ten. Pats lose Super Bowl, two players in top ten. Commence fight about PFF.

This is good for Snacks though, he does not get the recognition he deserves.
        What members of the Eagles do you think should be in the top 10 and over who?

Comment

Originally posted by moosedrool View Post

What members of the Eagles do you think should be in the top 10 and over who?
          Oh who knows....Carson Wentz?

Comment

Brandon Graham
            There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season.

Comment

Originally posted by Roosevelt View Post

Oh who knows....Carson Wentz?
              And not the QB who led the team through the playoffs and ultimately a SB win?

It’s an egg and chicken discussion, I guess

Comment

Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post

Would you rate Jeff Hostettler or Phil Simms higher for the 1990 season?

Comment

It is certainly too focused on raw results and misses context like most things from PFF.
                  Still, who else could have been on that list from this miserable roster?

Obviously OBJ would have been there but for the injury.
                  Engram should have probably been there.......otherwise, I can't think of anyone else.

I guess I would put JPP and Vernon in the "maybe" category but not definitely.
                  I'd have to look at #80 - 100 to weigh in on that.
                  No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

Originally posted by jomo View Post
                    It is certainly too focused on raw results and misses context like most things from PFF.

Engram should have probably been there.......otherwise, I can't think of anyone else.

Why because of their salaries? Certainly couldn't make the arguement based on actual play.

Comment

Yay.

Comment

Originally posted by MagillasMango View Post

Would you rate Jeff Hostettler or Phil Simms higher for the 1990 season?
                        I’’d rate them equally.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post

Foles played well, especially in the Super Bowl but Wentz was the MVP of the league prior to his injury.

Comment

Originally posted by Roosevelt View Post

Foles played well, especially in the Super Bowl but Wentz was the MVP of the league prior to his injury.
                            It's weird.

I saw Wentz as a virtual shoe in for MVP, but somehow, I now have questions.

Just how good is the rest of that team and staff that they were able to sub out the league MVP and still win the SB?

It's just crazy.

"I hire my brains"...Horace Trumbauer

Comment

Originally posted by jomo View Post

I agree with you jomo on Engram possibly having a shot but imo Vernon and JPP don't belong in the top 200.

Comment

Working...
                              X