Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Delicreep View Post

It's weird.

I saw Wentz as a virtual shoe in for MVP, but somehow, I now have questions.

Just how good is the rest of that team and staff that they were able to sub out the league MVP and still win the SB?

It's just crazy.
    I look at it this way. The Eagles are a very good team and Foles proved himself to be a very good QB. But that doesn't diminish what we've seen from Wentz.

I just looked at the back-up's who won the Super Bowl (9 of them) and found that most of them were starting caliber players.

Eli fans love to use Super Bowl 25 against Phil when the reality is that Hostetler was a pretty good player. He went on to start for the Raiders and Skins I believe.

We can even look at it from when a team is terrible. Our team was so bad last year it didn't matter if Eli was under center or Geno Smith. The results were basically the same. And Geno only got one game. Hostetler and Foles had a few games to help them get better prepared.
    Last edited by Roosevelt; 02-12-2018, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by moosedrool View Post

What members of the Eagles do you think should be in the top 10 and over who?
      None. That's not the point I was making. I was pointing out how much the team matters in this sport. It is not about getting the best players, it is about getting the best team. You need good players, but have a great team is the most important thing. Having a 1 and done playoff system really help this. In the NBA Lebron gets to the finals every year because he is the best player and it is very tough to beat him 4 times in 7 game. Tom Brady might be the best player, but if his team has 1 bad game they are done...even if he throws for 500 yards and scores tons of points.
      LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
      "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post
        None. That's not the point I was making. I was pointing out how much the team matters in this sport. It is not about getting the best players, it is about getting the best team. You need good players, but have a great team is the most important thing. Having a 1 and done playoff system really help this. In the NBA Lebron gets to the finals every year because he is the best player and it is very tough to beat him 4 times in 7 game. Tom Brady might be the best player, but if his team has 1 bad game they are done...even if he throws for 500 yards and scores tons of points.
        Agree with this, but I think its just a fluke that no one from the SB champs were top this year. I bet if you look back there's at least one there every year. If Wentz doesn't get hurt hes prob there.

Comment

It's weird.

I saw Wentz as a virtual shoe in for MVP, but somehow, I now have questions.

Just how good is the rest of that team and staff that they were able to sub out the league MVP and still win the SB?

It's just crazy.
          The team is very good but I saw Wentz make reads and deliver balls under tremendous pressure, the likes of which Dak has not yet made. I think that Wentz is a legitimate top 5 QB for the next decade. ...pains me to say it.
          No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

Originally posted by jomo View Post

The team is very good but I saw Wentz make reads and deliver balls under tremendous pressure, the likes of which Dak has not yet made. I think that Wentz is a legitimate top 5 QB for the next decade. ...pains me to say it.
            No...I totally get that and agree about Wentz, but did he actually need to be that good for Filthadelphia to win?

That's what throws me off about his being the MVP. As good as he is, it looks like he didn't need to be.

Like I said...strange.

Comment

I remember someone trying to make a point that Vikings didnt have a superstar caliber player...Harrison Smith is a stud.

Comment

No...I totally get that and agree about Wentz, but did he actually need to be that good for Filthadelphia to win?

That's what throws me off about his being the MVP. As good as he is, it looks like he didn't need to be.

Like I said...strange.
                More likely, the iggles did what many others have done before them, like us in 2007. They got on a roll around week 13 and never looked back. They are probably not as good as they looked in the SB and winning it will hurt them next year in many way....Self satisfaction will hurt no matter how much they swear it won't happen.. They will lose coaches. They will lose player to free agency. Several players will want new contracts before their current one expires; agents will plant those seeds and it will sow discontent. etc etc.

In terms of the classic definition of MVP being the person most responsible for their team's success, Foles performance in the SB does seem to neuter that angle a bit.
                No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

Damn, no Eli?

Thats unpossible!

Comment

Originally posted by jomo View Post

More likely, the iggles did what many others have done before them, like us in 2007. They got on a roll around week 13 and never looked back. They are probably not as good as they looked in the SB and winning it will hurt them next year in many way....Self satisfaction will hurt no matter how much they swear it won't happen.. They will lose coaches. They will lose player to free agency. Several players will want new contracts before their current one expires; agents will plant those seeds and it will sow discontent. etc etc.

In terms of the classic definition of MVP being the person most responsible for their team's success, Foles performance in the SB does seem to neuter that angle a bit.
                    They already have cap issues, so it will be interesting to say the least.

I'm hoping crash and burn!

Comment

Working...
                    X